A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: headache stuffies  (Read 2531 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

appleshannon
Tutorial Contributor

appleshannon

View Profile WWW
« on: October 29, 2005 12:47:21 PM »

my boyfreind gets migrains alot, so i wanted to make him a little boy stuffed animal thing that he could hold while hes trying to sleep it off. i was thinking maybe it could be microwavable, so he doesnt have to use a hot towel on his head.  i want this thing to look like either a boy or a bear thing....naybe a boy wearing a bear costume...something like this:  how can i make him?? how could he be microwavable?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dansk
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005 02:20:41 PM »

You can make him out of grey socks and fill his body with plain old dry rice. Make his head, hands and feet of out felt and make sure you don't use any metal.

My husband needed something to soothe his sore neck and shoulders, I filled a sock with rice and added a few drops of essential oil. Thrown in the microwave for a minute, it really works well. Same type of idea.

I can't wait to see what you do, that puppet looks really cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
decibel
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005 02:43:23 PM »

Yeah, the essential oil idea is good, just make sure the oil is suitable for his condition (relaxing aroma therapy style oil).

Also, to prevent such a pretty doll from being roughed up in the microwave you could make its tummy hollow. Sort of a pocket that closes with velcro. Then make a pillow to fit inside the tummy. The pillow would be easy to take out and put in over and over again. That way you only have to microwave the pillow, and not the whole doll to protect it from excessive wear and tear.

You could make the pillow out of a plain, sturdy fabric. Fill it with rice, oats or whole wheat (and possibly aroma therapy oil or dry herbs). Also - when you microwave it, keep a glass of water with it in the oven (just a little dash of water does it). That prevents the grains inside to dry out/burn.

Good luck, and don't forget to post the result.
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kousagi
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005 03:15:01 PM »

There are things (I can't remember the brand name) like hot water bottles but no water just a special gel cushion you can heat in the microwave or freeze.

If you make the boy in the bear and stuff the arms and legs but not the body, leave an opening in the back you can slip one of these in. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Once upon a time...
kousagi
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005 03:19:19 PM »

These are kind of what I was describing

http://www.hotwaterbottles.net/design.htm

I think these come with covers though, they even do ones for pets aches and pains Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Once upon a time...
watchgirl
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005 03:38:59 PM »

That looks like a great idea!
Make sure you check with him first about the scented stuff.  When I get a migraine, anything smelly (even smells I normally like) make me fell even worse.
I also find that cool on my head makes me feel better than warm.  So, what decibel said is a great idea.  Then you could fill it with hot or cold stuff.
That doll is really cute!
-Paula
THIS ROCKS   Logged
appleshannon
Tutorial Contributor

appleshannon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005 09:21:58 PM »

i saw some similar dtuffed animals at my store today, and they used corn, but they warned against other brands fillings being really smelly afetr a while..  i dont want that to happen!!!  what could i use to keep it smelling fresh without using oil??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
decibel
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005 01:55:30 AM »

i saw some similar dtuffed animals at my store today, and they used corn, but they warned against other brands fillings being really smelly afetr a while..  i dont want that to happen!!!  what could i use to keep it smelling fresh without using oil??

None of my 2 hot/cold pillows are scented with oil or herbs.
I have one pig that is filled with whole wheats, that doesn't smell at all. He's been used regularly for 5 years. I love him! Cheesy If it is a smell, it is sort of a baking bread kinda smell. Not a strong one. And not a yucky one. Also, the pig itself  is washable (not the insertable pillow) so that won't ever smell.

I also have one regular pillow stuffed with rice. That doesn't smell either, but I haven't used it as much as the piggy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005 06:21:53 PM »

I get migraines too, so I've gotten together all kinds of things for my head!  The main thing I wanted to mention though is that you said he was putting something hot on his head!... maybe I read that wrong though, because hot is definitely the wrong thing for a migraine (what's needed is cold to close down the slammed-open vessels). 

I used to tie something around my head to hold a gel or frozen wet washcloth in a baggie, etc., but now the only thing I use is a product called "Migraine Ice".... it's really effective, and much less difficult to use and time-consuming to make and deal with.  If you haven't seen it, look at the drug store... the individuals pads come in a box... they cost about a dollar or two each, but so-o-o-o worth it.  Each one is about the size to fit across one's forehead, and is adhesive so it just sticks on (for as long as a few hours).  I've even gotten to feeling good enough to move around as long as it stays on, and once even ventured out to the grocery store (not giving a sh*t what anyone thought of me I was so happy to be in less pain).

I just pasted in a bunch of info on making rice (and other filler) bags (for either microwave or freezer) in another thread... will go find it and post it here in case you're interested.

Oh, you could still make your bf something to hold while he's dealing with the migraine.  I'm sure he'd love the thought!   My son also has had migraines since he was fairly young and used to love putting a heated rice  bag on his stomach area because it really soothed him in general (and often put him to sleep so he could sleep the migraine off).

Good luck!

Diane B.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005 06:26:31 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005 08:11:08 PM »

So here's the link for the hot or cold bags, possible fillers to use, etc.:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=60600.msg575971#msg575971

If you want the info I have in my files on ways to deal with migraines (including taking "feverfew"), etc., just send an e-mail to me at ... DianeB...AT...glass attic...DOT...com, and put the word migraine in the subject line so my spam filter won't eat it.

Diane B.
GlassAttic ...polymer clay "encyclopedia"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Outfit of the Day: How a Professional Stylist Styles Herself
Elevator Makeover - Getting a More Flattering and Fit Look for the Office
Chioma Nnadi on Her Summer Denim Trend
Our Top Picks From Isabel Marant for H&M
GQ Fashion Week Report in Milan
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...