A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
756 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hot/Cold Pack  (Read 13377 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cortag04
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005 07:51:42 AM »

I made them before with deer corn. It is easy to heat up and smells pretty good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005 10:00:23 AM »

I have a load of info about making these things in my files, if anyone wants to look it over (these below are mostly for heating, but we keep a few of them in the freezer for various uses too).  ... if too much text, this will be Part 1,  followed by Part 2:

``````````````````````````````````````````````````
Heating bags

FILLER

comparison of different kinds of filler
http://www.diamondthreadworks.com/microwave_heating_bags.htm
 (see bottom of page for whole text)***

patterns for regular bags, plus mitten bags, foot warmer bags, eye bags, neck & shoulder bags, etc.
http://www.diamondthreadworks.com/microwave_heating_bags.htm (bottom of page)

…I also used either flax seed or millet.  Both are very inexpensive.
…I use about 1 ½ c of seed. Ceramist.
……flax seeds are extra nice because they hold the heat for a super long time (plus add rice or groats for extra bulk) …caliopegreen

cherry pits seem to keep the hot or cold longer than rice …lightweight and feel and smell good . . . moist heat for heating pads, bed warmers, bun warmers, etc.. stay warm or cold about an hour
. . .  To make a heating pad, just sew a fabric bag (approx. 7" x 16") and fill with about 2 # of cherry pits. Sew shut and heat in microwave 2-3 minutes until hot.. . . 4 lb. bags for $7.95, 40 lb.bag. = $29.95
http://www.cherrypitstore.com/ (cherry pits and cherry pit pads)

I fill mine with barley (but not the quick cooking kind)… The heat seems to be a moister type of heat and seems to hold longer after it's out of the microwave. Microwave for no longer than 3 minutes.

corn (or feed corn?) bags  (Walmart may have the “cleanest” feed corn with no weevil eggs in it… deer corn in 40 lb bags for $3.96, but only during hunting season,  in the aisle next to the hunting equipment)… or from horse and feed suppliers?) |
… see below (be sure to use the purchased bag of  feed corn quickly (or throw out remainder), and also to heat the finished bags several times in the microwave (immediately) to kill any eggs or bugs.
……microwave 2-3 minutes for moist heat or freeze for ice therapy.
……with washable & interchangeable covers (Size 21"L X 6"W) http://www.crafty5x7.com/thercorbag.html
“Other hot pacs, heating pads, microwavable warmer, buckwheat bags or potpourri bag can not compare to the comfort & relief you will receive from our corn bag.”

Personally, I used really small aquarium gravel - I feel the rocks hold the heat longer - or cold. They are heavier but that's what my mother and I like - seems to really get the heat deep into the neck/shoulder muscles. . . .  I make a covering for the pillow using muslin and cotton batting (Warm-n-Natural) - to help lessen the jaggedness of the rocks. Then I make outer covers that can be washed. Kneady

BUCKWHEAT ….Bulk buckwheat . . . http://www.jackcrisp.com/bulkbuckwheat.html
http://www.jackcrisp.com/hotcoldmitt.html
No fragrances are added

·   Pillow 11" x 14" - Heats in just 2-3 minutes in a microwave or 15-20 minutes in regular oven - wrapped in tinfoil first - for hotter re-heat after so,e cooling.
·   Eye - Sinus pack heats in less than 1 minute in the microwave, or freeze overnight.
·   ·      
`````````````````````````````````````
Herbal Heating Pads

flannel heating pads (approximately 5" x 21")  packed with natural herbs and grains... primary fragrance is Lavender, used by many to calm and relieve stress as well as bring soothing relief to sore muscles and joint pain.
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Can also add a few drops of essential oils
… peppermint and eucalyptis oils, 4-5 drops of each, mixed in the rice before I filled the wrap. As the smell fades, you can put a few drops on the outside of the wrap before you microwave it.

I use dried herbs in my rice packs, rosemary, lavendar and peppermint. Get them at the health food store or farmer's markets that are held in many towns. Tried oils once, was not pleased with the results, the oils can to transfer to garments when warm.

COVERS & misc.

I made these last year but I used batting to line them with.  They held the heat in much longer.

You could put the rice into a sock to wrap around your shoulders or neck. Be creative. Make it to suit the person who needs the relief. Always be careful not to get the bag too hot. …Experiment with your own microwave to determine how long you should heat the bag.

One rice bag...  take a LONG sock  (mens tube sock is the best)  fill it about 1/2 to 3/4 with rice & tie knot or stitch the top & put in Microwave 2-3 min... til nice & warm...

I saw one that was really great that I am trying to make - it is a larger one, and you sew channels to make tubes so it is more rigid - for my back

Muslin filled tubes with a cotton slip (or sock or pillow case of fleece, etc.)  work well and the outer covering can be washed over and over.

I have used both cotton and fleece (not polyester?) for the cover.  Both work great.   I’m guessing you used a synthetic material or microwaved the bag too long when it burned.

A bag of rice, and a pillow case.... dump a bag of cheap white rice.. don’t use instant... into a pillow case, tie a knot in the top  and there you have it! Now throw it in the microwave for a few minutes and you are free to roam. It may take a few times of heating the bag up before the rice loses its moisture, but that moist heat can be a plus for your aches and pains.

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

If you don't think the pillow case look is pretty enough, you can fancy it up. I have found that heat-bags make wonderful, thoughtful gifts for any friends you have who have aches and pains. It is a gift that can be made-to-order. As much, or as little rice as possible.

Animal-shaped  bags would be great for kids (for boo boo bags maybe)

My 15 yr.old son *still* uses his for a nightly comfy as well as for stomach aches), but don't forget to keep them to a useful shape for heating and draping.  I have several I've bought and made, and the different sizes and shapes do come in handy for different things.

When made into small squares are great for babies’ belly aches....I make them with the lavender buds and oil which helps soothe the crying too. They look so cute made of baby flannel. I package two of them with some matching flannel burp pads for a special baby gift...sometimes I have the baby's initials embroidered on the edge. Kaylin’s mommy

My mom made a few of these to use on her knees. She sewed two washcloths togther and filled with rice. She microwaves it for about a minute or so.

i made a bunch of really little ones -1" x 2" with flax seed and gave them to my friends in pairs - you put them in the ends of your mittens to  keep your fingers warm.
….(also nice to squeeze for those of us with carpel tunnel syndrome……caliopegreen

The small size is also great for nursing mothers who are having trouble with sore nipples or clogged ducts. A book on nursing and 2-4 pillows makes a nice gift. Kaylin’s mommy

Sinus eye relief pad (6" x 4" Eye Shaped Pad)
….Eye shaped material pad used for soothing sinus headaches and pressure. Made with lavender flowers, flaxseed and a touch of pure lavender and eucalyptus essential oils. . .  Sinus sufferers use the warmed eye pad when sleeping to relieve the pain and pressure of sinus problems, naturally. This pad is particularly helpful for headaches and sinusitis.

When you can’t heat it up, like when you're in a car, you can still use it for lumbar support behind your back.

Warning - you will want to pitch your bag after a few months and make a fresh one. They tend to get “over-baked” after a few hundred uses Huh?

try weighing what I have and dividing by 2 minutes?

(You can make a disposable heating pad by putting a cup or two of dry, uncooked rice in a plastic bag or an old sock and microwave it for 45 seconds.)

can also be used in a cooler or lunch bag to help keep food warm for a pot luck… heat, and place the food container on top. 

Cats (& dogs)

I even put them around here and there for the cats to snuggle against in the winter or if they’re elderly. 

Kat Saks are available in assorted colours. http://www.jackcrisp.com/catnip.html
… oats and catnip leaf …Use as is or heat for 20 seconds in microwave to super activate the dry catnip herb.
…Recommended to keep stored in freezer in plastic when not in use - this is to rehydrate the seeds and add moisture to product.
...can sprinkle some cold water on the product before heating to assist in rehydrating lost moisture.
…Heat for no more than 20 seconds in microwave. Allow to cool before re-heating (minimum 1 hour).
….Not to be given to "minor" cats those under 7 months old.

or freeze one for the dog to use in the car in the summertime. 

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Diane B.
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Lindira

"The freckles in our eyes are mirror images"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005 02:33:05 PM »

I asked this on another thread, but I guess it was kinda dead. Would coffee beans be okay for a filler? I rather like the smell of coffee, and they're about the same size as corn kernels...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005 04:43:18 PM »

I read that somewhere. I'd try them at home before giving as a gift! A co-worker has a bag of beans he isn't going to use and promises to bring them so I can try (w/o spending any $).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psychodrea
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005 04:19:15 AM »

I asked this on another thread, but I guess it was kinda dead. Would coffee beans be okay for a filler? I rather like the smell of coffee, and they're about the same size as corn kernels...

well i've never tried it.. perhaps take an old sock that lost it's mate and try?  tell us how it works, cause i know my bf would definitely go for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"how'd you know that?"
"....like any decent secretary...i listened in on the other line!"
MonkeyMeg
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2005 10:35:56 AM »

Oatmeal is a decent filler, too, and it has a pleasant smell...although it doesn't hold the heat as long as other fillers.  Make sure to put a mug of water in the microwave with it while heating to keep moist/avoid burning. This is a good idea for any filler...especially for those of us who like it really hot and tend to overheat it.  Smiley (Yeah, I'm one of those people...I'm on my sixth "rice buddy" in three years. I'm totally addicted!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jess70
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2005 03:48:12 AM »

I would love to know where you bought the fabric with the sheep knitting.  I love knitting and that fabric would be perfect for knitting needle bags.  Ughhh,  I really really want it!  Jess
THIS ROCKS   Logged

¸..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))    -:¦:-  
((¸¸.·´ ¸.·´ -:¦:- -:¦:-  -:¦:-´ -:¦:-´
((¸¸.·´  ¸.·´     Jessica Lintott   -:¦:-´ 
-:¦:- ((¸¸.· -:¦:- -:¦:-  -:¦:-´ -:¦:-´

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfre etobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogs
crazycatladymel
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005 03:54:09 AM »

Jess:

I got it at JoAnne's. A lot of the fleece seemed to have their info. printed along the selvage. I don't remember if this one did or not. I know I bought all the one store had, which wasn't a lot. If you can't find it, let me know -- there are 2 more stores by my house that I can check, and you can pay me for some. Finding it locally would be best for you, b/c of shipping, but this would be a solution if you come up dry. (It is cute!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IceCreamCone
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006 05:38:45 PM »

I ruined one that was bought for me years ago, so today I sewed a new one!
It smells perfect, but doesn't heat as well as the first one.

The first one I had, heated up within about 45 seconds.
The one I made today, I had to heat a few times... for almost two minutes.

I used flax seed and some dried herbs. 
Does any one have suggestions?
I don't really want to use rice or feed corn.
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006 06:10:11 AM »

I'm loving the barley! Easy to find and cheap. It seems to take as long to heat up as rice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Notice TV Editing Tricks
How to Join a Reality Competition Show
The Harry Potter Glossary from the Fans
Deathly Hallows Predictions
How to Film Underwater
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...