A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet Cast On.  (Read 519 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

soapturtle
Turtle Collector

View Profile WWW
« on: October 29, 2005 08:50:40 AM »

I am interested in learning the crochet cast on, but everything I have seen doesn't make sense to me.

I am thinking that I want to just chain however many, draw up loops from that chain, like you would in Tunesian crochet, and then just knit the boogers off and swap the crochet needle for a knitting needle once it's been emptied.

This appeals to me because it seems like the only cast on I can ever do properly is the long tail one and I hate it because you can misjudge the length of the tail too easily.  And while yes, you can undo and go back, if I have just cast on 176 of 184 stitches, I don't really want to.

For those of you who can do both crochet and knitting, does this method I have outlined above make sense?  Have you tried something similiar to it already and if you have, did it work as you expected?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irid3sc3nt

I <3 Halloween

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005 07:28:24 PM »

Have you posted this same topic on the crochet question board, as well?  I've decided to abstain from crocheting since I'm knitting a whole bunch of gifts AND debbie stoller's new book should be coming out soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
soapturtle
Turtle Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005 08:09:55 PM »

No, I didn't want to cross post and I wanted to talk to the "mostly knitters" amongst us.

I tried this today.  It worked fine.  I can see where it would be an issue with something that required a LARGE amount of stitches, which is mainly when I would want it, but I have figured out a work around and will try it next time I need to cast on a lot of stitches.

Eventually I might get around to taking pictures and posting it, but if you crochet at all you pretty much get the gist from my description.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005 09:54:03 AM »

I knit and crochet and the method you described will work.  I did it a few days ago.  You use waste yarn to crochet a chain, then pick up loops of your good yarn through the back loops of your crocheted chain, using either your knitting needle or a Tunisian hook, then knit those loops in the normal way.  Another method is described here: http://www.stitchdiva.com/custom.aspx?id=48  I haven't tried this yet but it looks easy enough to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
soapturtle
Turtle Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005 10:07:13 AM »

I didn't even use waste yarn.  I want to say I didn't even back loop it either.  I just went in like I was going to crochet and pulled up loops.

Over all I am very pleased with the way it looks, but I want to experiment some more on it.  And I will after I finish up my shrug and a few other projects.

Thanks for the advice and the link.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veronique
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005 10:34:35 AM »

I always use knitted cast-ons: on this website they are called "knitting on" (this one is super stretchy) and "cable cast on".   
For both, you are using your 2 knitting needles.  And best of all, you don't need to calculate how much yarn you need, as you just pick up your yarn and go! 
I've also used the crochet cast-on that Calysa linked to, and it workes very well, much easier than crocheting a chain and picking up stitches. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005 07:16:34 AM »

Ok, I see what you're trying to accomplish.  At first I thought you were going for a provisional cast-on, one that could be removed later, but I see that you want something permanent.  There are many different cast-ons to choose from.  Go here http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/index.php for a bunch of tutorials.  The knitted cast-on that Veronique refers to is very good and easy to do.  It was the first one I learned.

Also - there's an easy way to determine how much yarn you'll need for a long-tail cast-on.  Take the number of stitches you're supposed to cast-on (say 100), divide by 2 (50), then leaving about a 6" tail, wrap the yarn around your needle that many (50) times.  The point where you end up is where you should begin your long tail cast-on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Ways To Wear Prabal Gurung For Target Printed Top
Carbon Copy: Get NYFW Street Style Looks For Less
Street Chic: Chelsea, London Style
Star Style: Who Inspires Solange Knowles
Dress Code Violations From The 2013 Grammys
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...