A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,360
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: first attempt  (Read 990 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rhicooqui
« on: October 27, 2005 05:26:19 PM »

Ok so, this was my very first ever embroidery attempt, its part of a bag which can be found on the bag bit.

it is completely freehand because i found it impossible to transfer the font i wanted onto black material. any tips for me lovely people?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xcrunnergirl
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005 05:31:56 PM »

It looks really good! I don't have much experience with embroidery, but it looks great to me! The font is really cute, too. That is a really cool bag, from what I can see of it.

To transfer the font onto black material, you could use a small piece of chalk or you can buy a white pencil/pen for marking at any fabric/craft store. Most will wipe off with water or when you wash it. You'd still have to free hand it some, but it might be easier. Hope that helps. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M and M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already."  - Dave Barry
Chelsea
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005 01:33:25 PM »

To transfer onto black/dark material you can use one of those pens or transfer paper (got the kind I use from sublime stitching).  But you can't use the transfer paper on fabric that's too textured (like a sock hat, or in my case, a waffle-fabric kitchen towel).  You'll just poke holes in the paper and none of the white transfer stuff will stick to the fabric because of the pressure you have to use.

I can't tell what kind of fabric that is...at first it looked like a sock hat, but if it's sturdy like canvas or a flat fabric, then the transfer paper's perfect.   The good thing about the paper is that you can copy a pattern, with the pen you have to either be able to see through the fabric up against a light box or just draw it freehand.  Which I can't do. Wink

It looks really good though. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissMeshell
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005 04:10:43 AM »

That is fantastic freehand work!  Smiley It's a great, quirky looking font.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhicooqui
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005 10:21:55 AM »

thanks everyone Smiley the link to the whole bag is http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=59694.0
in case you wanted to see it xcrunnergirl.

chelsea the material was black chunky cord, you know the type? i'm not so sure the transfer paper would work on it, but i'm gonna get some anyway. its always handy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D: Set Mirror Lockup
Canon XSi/450D: Set Manual Mode (M)
Canon XSi/450D: Set Manual Focus Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set ISO Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Format Function
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...