A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 303,178
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dye lot drama  (Read 815 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: May 14, 2004 04:00:22 AM »

I'm knitting the "Side-to-Side Ribbon Pullover" from Interweave Knits spring '04. I craftily figured out that, by adjusting the recommended needle size, I could make it out of super-cheap Lily Sugar 'n Cream cotton and save myself approximately a gazillion dollars.

So far, so good. But I just realized that, although one might not think that white 100% cotton yarn would have dye lots... I guess it does. And I didn't realize this until about halfway through. So now, after switching to a new ball of yarn, there's a faint, but noticeable (at least to me) block of slighty-different-white running vertically down the front.

Any ideas? I don't really want to rip out seven inches of knitting, and I also don't have the wrappers from the first two balls I used, so I couldn't match the dye lot anyway.

Help! I'm starting to think Bad, Bad Thoughts Involving Bleach. And dunking one's newly hand-knit sweater in a bleach bath is clearly a terrible idea.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004 05:13:45 AM »

You could actually extend the idea of slightly different shades of white - by incorporating a few other balls of different white yarn, or white yarns in different textures, thereby avoiding ripping, and making the dyelot mistake look intentional. Alternatively, you could use other pale colours, such as creams, in a similar way.

http://redsuedekitten.etsy.com - red suede kitten's etsy shop - for colourful, original felt jewelry

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redsuedekitten - my flickr page - lots of photos of my felt jewelry

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004 05:25:07 AM »

Hmmm . . . know what you mean about noticing subtle differences in white (and black for that matter). You could try dying the finished product with Rit or something along those lines. I think that the bleach might not work evenly. Other than frogging it now or living with the differences, dying might be the best option.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004 08:20:51 AM »

dying could totally work. but also, you could just live with it. on my first scarf i did exactly what you did. and it drove me nuts!!! then i put it away while moving onto other projects and i don't even notice it if i'm looking. i'm not sure how severe the difference is, but after a while you may not notice it anymore

somewhere my vocational guidance counselor is laughing hysterically
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004 05:53:02 PM »

Hmmm, Rit dye! That's what's great about this forum- I hadn't even thought of that. That would totally work! I could dye the whole thing pink or something.

Thanks, ladies! Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Much Damage Are You Doing To Your Hair?
Are Robots The Key To Battling Hair Loss?
Celebrity Horror Hairstyles
Pixie Perfect Celebrity Haircuts
How To Make Your Blowout Last Longer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...