A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,694
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What program/tutorial/etc. did you use to design your website?  (Read 31298 times)
Tags for this thread: website_design  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sapphire_distortion
« Reply #260 on: September 22, 2008 08:10:30 PM »

Nobody has mentioned Joomla yet so I thought I might - it's a template program but very customizable and FREE. I've seen it in action and the results are pretty good, it's what I'm going to use when I get my site up and running.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
craft minded
« Reply #261 on: May 04, 2009 07:10:17 PM »

I've been looking around for some info about something I'd like to use when building my website, but I don't even know what it's called so I'm not having any luck finding it.

I want something (programming, software, shopping cart?) that when I put an item for sale on my website that I can assign tags to it and have those tags become links in my menus if I so choose.

For instance, on my website I would like menus that give the shopper some shop-by options. Like "shop by color" or "shop by scent." Say I make a bar of soap. It smells like citrus, it is shaped like a lemon, and it is the color yellow. When I assign tags such as "citrus" or "yellow" to be used in a search feature on my site, I would like to peg some of those tags to be added to the menus if I want them on the menus or not.

What is this technology called?

How do I get it for a one-time only charge (I don't want to pay monthly or annual charges for the use of the technology)?

How much should I expect to pay for this kind of thing?

I am very savvy when it comes to HTML, CSS, and graphics, but anything beyond that has me scratching my head.  Coding that kind of functionality with just html and css is possible, I'm sure, but would be a nightmare to upkeep because it wouldn't be dynamic.

I've tried etsy in the past, but I want more customization with my own graphics that etsy can't give me, so that's why I'm doing my own site. And I want to do it right!!!!

Thank you for any pointers, advice, and direction you guys give me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pole_electric
« Reply #262 on: May 30, 2009 03:53:07 PM »

Hi there! Any luck? Wordpress is a really good choice for this, and fairly simple if you know html!
This theme is really cool and could be modified to do what you're asking:
http://www.thekingcart.com/2008/10/02/crafty-cart-free-wordpress-ecommerce-plugin-theme/

I'm not sure it's called anything, it really just comes down to the links in your navigation menu. You can tag and categorize anything you post in wordpress, then it's as easy as adding the link to 'all post tagged with lemon' to the navigation bar under 'lemon'

I work as a web designer and do freelance if you're looking to hire someone. Hope this helped a little!

Amanda

I've been looking around for some info about something I'd like to use when building my website, but I don't even know what it's called so I'm not having any luck finding it.

I want something (programming, software, shopping cart?) that when I put an item for sale on my website that I can assign tags to it and have those tags become links in my menus if I so choose.

For instance, on my website I would like menus that give the shopper some shop-by options. Like "shop by color" or "shop by scent." Say I make a bar of soap. It smells like citrus, it is shaped like a lemon, and it is the color yellow. When I assign tags such as "citrus" or "yellow" to be used in a search feature on my site, I would like to peg some of those tags to be added to the menus if I want them on the menus or not.

What is this technology called?

How do I get it for a one-time only charge (I don't want to pay monthly or annual charges for the use of the technology)?

How much should I expect to pay for this kind of thing?

I am very savvy when it comes to HTML, CSS, and graphics, but anything beyond that has me scratching my head.  Coding that kind of functionality with just html and css is possible, I'm sure, but would be a nightmare to upkeep because it wouldn't be dynamic.

I've tried etsy in the past, but I want more customization with my own graphics that etsy can't give me, so that's why I'm doing my own site. And I want to do it right!!!!

Thank you for any pointers, advice, and direction you guys give me.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009 02:12:07 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft minded
« Reply #263 on: May 30, 2009 08:12:30 PM »

Hi there! Any luck?

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I actually bought a domain name, set up my own web space and I'm learning how to customize an open source (free) e-commerce package called osCommerce. It is an amazing package and has any kind of options you could want in an e-commerce shop. It is based on PHP, which I don't know how to program, so that's the daunting part for me, but, if I liked how it looked as is, I could have a functional store right now and it was pretty easy to set up.

The only reason I haven't opened shop yet is because I'm trying to make it look less like the generic mega online store that it is right out of the box and more like the unique artsy-craftsy online store I'm going for. There are add-ons galore that help with the customization and I'm slowly figuring out which ones are the ones for me.

If you or anyone has heard of osCommerce and are curious, the way it looks without any customization is here: http://demo.oscommerce.com/

And the customizations I've done to my version so far are here (very rough as I'm still in the beginning stages): http://www.hellodoodle.com/

I haven't touched the CSS at all. I'm working on getting everything laid out how I want it first, then I'll do the CSS, which I consider to be the finishing touches.

So far so good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #264 on: June 13, 2009 06:02:34 AM »

I thought I would post and say that I tried Artisteer, and I really liked it! The program is like $50 which is more than a template, but you can make as many templates as you want after you pay that price. It was worth it just to have exactly what I wanted and the knowledge that I can do any future redesigns without having to search for templates or anything.

edit: when I say templates, I'm speaking of Wordpress. You can also export it as plain HTML and something else, but I forget what. (too early for me!)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009 06:10:35 AM by sapphire_distortion » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluxxii
« Reply #265 on: June 13, 2009 08:12:41 AM »

Nobody has mentioned Joomla yet so I thought I might - it's a template program but very customizable and FREE. I've seen it in action and the results are pretty good, it's what I'm going to use when I get my site up and running.
Joomla is a great script, but I couldn't stand it when I used it. There's just SO much to learn and it's a royal pain in the bum if you're trying to customize it to fit your own template. I ended up just going with Wordpress, but I will admit that Joomla has a thousand times more potential, especially if you're working on larger sites/multiple sites.

@ craft minded, you should take a look at some OS Commerce templates and edit them for there! It's a good way to get a more distinct look without having to dive too much into the world of templating. It's so hard to find free OS Commerce templates, but they do exist! http://hiddenpixels.com/designer-and-developer-resources/free-oscommerce-template-themes/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLUXXII.COM: online consignment for indie artists
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #266 on: June 13, 2009 08:34:39 AM »

Joomla is a great script, but I couldn't stand it when I used it. There's just SO much to learn and it's a royal pain in the bum if you're trying to customize it to fit your own template. I ended up just going with Wordpress, but I will admit that Joomla has a thousand times more potential, especially if you're working on larger sites/multiple sites.

Oh, yeah, I never re-posted and corrected myself, but I had seen some amazing results with it while working for an independent business, and then could not figure it out for the life of me when I tried to use it myself. So. Artisteer! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brooky
Sell Crafts Business Support

Together Everyone Achieves More T.E.A.M

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: June 28, 2009 08:15:48 AM »

Hi all.
Joomla. It does a lot of stuff like wordpress but you can get really bogged down in what it can do and forget what you need to do. I have gone to try it a few times but can never seem to stick with it.

OsCommerce as mentioned above is a super powerful cart but probably overload for many crafters who are looking for simpler solutions. I had it working well when I had several hundred products in a load of categories.

If people want to just start feeling their way around web design there is a really cool no ads free hosting etc website company that has just added a paypal module to it.
That now means you can put up your craft images and allocate a price and bingo it all goes through your paypal account. Link is here Free Websites Dead easy to use with lots of free templates as well for the graphic challenged like me.

I use XsitePro for my own sites as it is totally seo geared with seo analysis which non of the other packages have. If you want to visit here is an XsitePro Review as most people probably do not know of it. The whole purpose of the package is to get you found in search.

The other program I use is Microsoft Visual Web Developer when I need to rework others sites. Powerful suite that comes with visual basic as well.

As far as image editing I just never seemed to get past corel draw. I have cs2 etc but corel just seems so easy to use.

Anyhow
Cheers
Marc

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Welcome to My Sites
My Craft Website: Free Craft Business Planning
My Favorite Free Website Host: Free Websites
Online Florists to Everywhere: Send Flowers Abroad
fluxxii
« Reply #268 on: June 28, 2009 04:59:39 PM »

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Magento yet - it seems to be the next biggest thing in terms of e-commerce. Does anyone here have any experience using it? I'd love to hear some reviews/thoughts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLUXXII.COM: online consignment for indie artists
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cut Scissors Over Comb
How to Cut Round Layers
Hairdressing Essentials Shampoo
How to Cut Freehand
Hairdressing Essentials Hair Serums
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...