A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What program/tutorial/etc. did you use to design your website?  (Read 30606 times)
Tags for this thread: website_design  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 22, 2003 04:26:13 AM »

hi all!

i'm pretty new here so hi to anyone i haven't met yet! Grin

i've just been checking out all your sites and they are all so professional! really cool designs and easy to use too which is always important.

so i was just wondering if you make your own sites or pay someone to do them? and if you make your own, what software do you prefer?

cheers guys  Wink
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008 09:18:45 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Made subject more specific. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
plainmabel
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003 07:51:33 AM »

Welcome!  I personally make my own site, though I probably would have paid someone if I didn't have a background in Web design.  I use Dreamweaver and a touch of hand-coding for all of my HTML, JavaScript, and CSS, and I use Photoshop/ImageReady for my graphics.  From time to time I also use Illustrator, but that's not really a necessity for the Web.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Plain Mabel :: Extraordinary Gifts and Accessories
Awful Cufflinks :: Everyday stuff, just better.
comfits
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2003 08:00:45 AM »

i'm a cheap-o & use the free geocities/yahoo websites (www.geocities.com).  it's sooo easy to do if you don't know html very well.  the big drawback is that it is very slow for downloading pics (when others to come look at your site).  don't use is it if you're going to run a serious business.  i'm just using it right now as a starter--to try and figure things out first.  then when i feel more comfortable & have extra cash, i'm gonna switch to something more realistic.  and this is where someone with more experience steps in. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2003 08:08:27 AM »

Hi! Here's my recommendations:

1. I use ICDSoft.com for web hosting because it's only $5/month and you get tons of space and features.

2. I really like Dreamweaver for the HTML and Fireworks for graphics. They're both made by Macromedia so I bet you could buy them as a bundle.

3. I use PayPal for my shopping cart. They take a small percentage of every sale but it's really easy to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2003 01:10:49 PM »

I prefer the macromedia suite of web development products. Dreamweaver is the chief tool for web stuff, but I use fireworks for graphics then, Flash for menus and rollovers. I would reccomend staying with vector based image programs like Fireworks, as they tend to produce smaller file sizes.

Adobe products mostly suck and I do not reccomend microsoft for anything but your OS and office products.  

Paypal rocks for purchasing on websites, Dreamweaver has a special plug in to automate most of the process for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New Craft Blog - best way to contact me right now is via the bloggie Smiley

Wists are a wonderful thing!

Want a sticker?
washu
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2003 02:18:54 PM »

I do my own site but I used to be a professional. Then I got laid off, like everyone else, ha ha!  Grin

Dreamweaver and Fireworks are both great. (And you used to be able to buy them as a bundle--probably still can.) I'm afraid I don't agree that all Adobe products suck tho'. I love Photoshop and Illustrator both. Fireworks does both vector and raster images, so if you use it to do raster, the file sizes won't be any smaller.

If you can code yourself, Homesite is faboo; it's owned by Macromedia now also. I use CSS do rollovers, cos I could never get the hang of Flash.  Wink

Dreamhost is a good hosting service, though it's about $10/month, so that's more expensive than ICDSoft.com.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
feelingleftout
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2003 09:20:50 AM »

I don't have a site anymore because I just didn't have time to keep it updated, but I did use Homesite 4.5 by Allaire for my HTML and such. It's a great program. You can download a trial which never expires from their website. The version I downloaded expired in April of 1999, and I'm still using it. :)It comes with a 30 day trial, so after thirty days it asks if you wish to purchase the program or continue using the trial. So continue I do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
feelingleftout
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2003 09:22:29 AM »

*off topic*

plainmabel, great website.

where on earth did you find colored records for your bowls? those look awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plainmabel
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2003 01:13:43 PM »

Thanks, feelingleftout!  I try to find all of my records at college radio station sales, basements, etc so I know I'm getting ones that are either beat up or that will be thrown out.  I don't like to use records that people could still listen to b/c I'm a big music lover and think it's sad to see perfectly good, listenable records destroyed.

Back to the software debate -- I disagree that Adobe products suck.  I've been using them and teaching their use for years and they are incredibly robust, power-packed apps.  However, Macromedia products are pretty much made just for Web/interactive purposes, so are more tailored to the Web design world.  Macromedia's prices are also much better, especially if you can get an educational discount.  That said, if you plan to do any print graphic work (i.e. magazine ads, logos, etc) Photoshop and Illustrator are key, industry-standard pieces to have and understand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Plain Mabel :: Extraordinary Gifts and Accessories
Awful Cufflinks :: Everyday stuff, just better.
AIV
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003 09:13:07 AM »

Dreamweaver rules as an editor, Adobe Photoshop rules for graphics..

Web hosting.. Net-Hostings.org -- Also a $5 per month, but they don't have crazy annual up front fees (some make you pay the whole year to get the discount.

Tell em John sent you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes Recipe
Semi-Homemade Spicy Chocolate Truffles Recipe
Eggnog Pound Cake Recipe
How to Make Warm Cinnamon Apples
No-Fail Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...