A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: burlesque tophat (tutorial)  (Read 6207 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sminking_of_gin
« on: October 30, 2008 01:23:21 PM »

So, I'm brand new to posting here at Craftster (been watching a long time though).
Anyway, a quick bit about me;  I'm a burlesque performer.  I also am obsessed with the 1960s, needless to say that's my lil niche in our show.  I'm the psychedelic/60s/Beatles girl.  I should also mention I'm obsessed with The Beatles (which you'll see more as I post).  Even my own mother thinks I was born in the wrong decade.

Anyway, on the topic of burlesque...I had planned to debut a new number to the Rolling Stones "Sympathy for the Devil" I had the costume plotted out...except one thing I didn't have was a decent top hat.  I searched and searched.  They were all 50-100 dollars and with the economy being what it is, that's not feesible!
So, I decided "screw it!  I'm making one"

Well, I have never made a top hat.  I decided felt would be a good base and here's how I did it.
mind you, I also don't know how to sew well...so this was all done using glue guns (I had the burns to prove it!)

first, I took some stiffer felt and made the main part of the top hat

I cut a circular base out of softer, more flexible felt

After the 2 main peices were cut, I made sure they looked ok together and marked how tall I wanted the hat.

Here's where I got stuck, so I put the project down for the night as my brain was fried from various other things I was working on, woke up in the morning and had it figured out.  I took the top of the top hat, cut to the line I'd drawn out, a few lil cuts here and there (unfortunatly I didn't get a photo of that), then folded them toward the middle, one at a time, gluing the next peice to the previous.  it wound up looking like this when I was done

next, I took the base and measured the circumfrance of the top part.  after I did this, I made a small hole in the middle of that and began cutting so that I was making triangles outward from the middle. and it looked like this

next I took the base and started gluing those triangle cuts to the inside of the bottom of the top part (really it makes sense somehow).

So, I had my top and base glued together, but the sides needed to be a little curled up to be a proper hat.

I grabbed some fabric stiffener, curled those edges up and sprayed away!  I let the hat sit for about an hour and this was the result.

Now my base of the hat was done, but it needed to look a little less rough.  Somehow I had some random black satin I hadn't realized I bought (love it when that happens!).

So, with the fact I do almost all 1960's numbers, I'm always looking for psychedelic fabric to work into things.  Since I was doing a number where I'd be portraying a devil, I needed red.  I found a very interesting fabric and bought as much of it as I could.  here's the fabric and my dog testing it out.

The first thing I did with the fabric was I cut out a hat band and attached it to the hat.

So, I had also bought some feathers.  It seems like feathers are some of the greatest accessories to any burlesque dancer!
I attached those to the right side of the hat.

Finally, I attached some elastic to the inside of the hat as a fascinator and I was done.  Here's multiple views of the finished product (yes, there is an Abbey Road purse in some shots...my friends give me crap that that bag is everywhere I am).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

You may be a lover, but you ain't no dancer
Nesse
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008 08:01:11 AM »

Awesome! Thanks for the tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sminking_of_gin
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008 04:06:12 PM »

no problem! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IHeartMstrChief

Imperial Beagle!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008 11:41:39 AM »

I think you just saved me a bajillion dollars on not having to go to a haberdashery to make a top hat for my mad hatter costume...my costume is so loud, I want a normal sized hat instead of a ridiculously huge one...

Anywho...thank you for the tutorial! It gives me something to go on as well as hope! I'll try to get pictures up whenever it gets done!

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steph.reads
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008 06:52:58 PM »

Oh too cute! I want to see a picture of the hat on your head! Seriously, its adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KMOM13
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008 07:20:25 PM »

You've got great improv skills - it is really cool. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pjhamel
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009 03:40:29 PM »

Awesome. I am totally going to try it. The only hat I've made so far is a pirate hat for halloween. This one looks promising.
Does your dog like to lay on fabric whenever you spread it out? My dog always makes herself comfortable as soon as I start sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will happily do personal swaps for beads, buttons, and fat quarters!

My Pinterest
Fetus

Makin' it weird one craft at a time.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009 04:16:33 PM »

NIIICE!
Love the psychedelic fabric, and great tute, is it a full sized top hat?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sminking_of_gin
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009 02:55:20 PM »

Awesome. I am totally going to try it. The only hat I've made so far is a pirate hat for halloween. This one looks promising.
Does your dog like to lay on fabric whenever you spread it out? My dog always makes herself comfortable as soon as I start sewing.

So, I go a couple months without checking craftster....ooops.

Anyway, yep my dog and cat do that to just about every fabric I spread out.  makes it a little hard to cut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sminking_of_gin
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009 02:57:03 PM »

NIIICE!
Love the psychedelic fabric, and great tute, is it a full sized top hat?

It's actually medium/mini.  it attaches with the lil elastic (I've worn it for a few different shows and it's worked fab!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Focus Stacking - A Macro Photography Technique
A Comparison Between Nikon SLR and Compact Cameras
A Comparison of the Nikon D40 and D40X from the Nikon D80
Review on the Nikon 12-24mm Lens
Review on the Nikon 18-200mm Lens
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...