A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
722 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Magnetic Snaps (version 2)  (Read 29153 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

Everything happens for a reason.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 26, 2005 07:34:23 PM »

***IMAGES HAVE BEEN REPLACED.***
I've tried a few different ways of making handbags with magnetic snaps and this way seems to be the easiest for me.  Let me know if you have any questions.  I did want to add that I had tried plastic canvas as well and don't use it for a couple reasons.  You could cut it in a circle and it would work great.  I always did mine in a square and wondered why they always pokes holes eventually but it was because of the pointy sharp corners.  The other side to working with plastic canvas in handbags is if you wash and dry them, the plastic will melt.  The thick interfacing (not cardboard) is completely washable and dryable.  Smiley  Now on with the tute.

Supplies:

(1) Set Magnetic Clasps (4 pieces total, two protectors & two clasps; see below)

Piece of thick interfacing or cardboard

Scissors

Pen/Pencil

*Reminder:  If you are sewing a handbag, put the magnetic clasps in the lining BEFORE the bag is sewn together.  This will allow everything to be neatly hidden (see illustration below).

Cut out 4 small pieces of interfacing or cardboard.  Place magnetic clap down and draw circle around it about an inch out (see picture below).

Cut out circle.  Place protector in middle of circle and using your pen/pencil, trace where the two lines are on the protector, onto the interfacing/cardboard.  When done, cut those lines to create small slits.  I did this by folding the circle in half where the lines were, and then cutting two small slits where the fold was.

Take your protector piece and line it up on your fabric where you want the snap to be placed.  Be sure to go far enough down, leaving enough room for the seam allowance.  Take your pen/pencil and trace the two lines again but this time onto your fabric.  When done, cut those lines to create small slits.

You are now looking at the 3 pieces necessary to complete one side.  The interfacing/cardboard cut out, the one side of the magnetic clasp and the protector.

Take your magnetic clasp and slip the prongs through the small slits in the fabric, making sure the prongs are coming out of the wrong side of the fabric.

Place your interfacing/cardboard over the prongs coming out of the wrong side of the fabric.

Place your protector over the interfacing/cardboard and over the prongs coming out of the wrong side of the fabric.

Bend prongs down so pieces all stay in place.  (Please note, I now bend prongs inward instead of outward...this prevents the possibility of the prongs poking through the fabric.)

You are now ready to sew the rest of your bag or whatever you are sewing.  Notice in the picture below that the inside of the lining shows what the clasps will look like all clean and professional looking.

This view is on the wrong side of the fabric showing what will be hiding in the bag once it is all sewn together.

Here is the completed bag with clasps all neatly done and above picture examples hidden inside the bag.  I left just enough room between the edge of the fabric and the clasps so I could sew the seam allowance and the bag together.

Here is the completed bag closed.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007 07:49:05 PM by janetsjunk » THIS ROCKS   Logged

archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005 10:48:08 AM »

Wow, thanks so much!  This seems so easy to me now.  I bought one magnetic snap but haven't felt confident enough to try it out.  Now I think I'm ready.

You're the best!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
twelvety
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005 02:57:35 PM »

Hey, great tut. I just got some snaps, now I must go and use them. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a real big prawn!

wistalicious
http://www.wists.com/twelvety
ronya
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005 12:22:40 AM »

Thanks a lot! I did it almost the same way, but used to cut through the fabric and interfacing at the same time and it could be difficult sometimes. Next time I'm going to do it your way! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caeebe
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005 12:31:31 PM »

Great Tute!  I do my snaps in a very similar way but I must be lazier cause I don't cut my interfaceing into circles.  A few things I thought I'd mention is that I bend the tabs on the back side of the snaps in instead of out.  I figure it is one less sharp thing to try and break through the fabric.  Then to finish it all off I add another extra layer of iron-on interfacing over the back side of the snap to cover up the ugly snap fastening.  I don't know if it is really necessary but I do this in order to keep the back side from rubbing through to the good side of the bag just in case the bag encounters a lot of friction, somehow.

I also like drawing my lines on the good side of the bag lining before cutting so I can hold the pieces together and make sure that the two sides of the snaps will really fit together.   All and all this is a great tute with good pictures.  Much better than the complete lack of information they give on the snap packaging.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisiepeasie

greetings. fish i am.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006 11:19:42 PM »

Great tutorial! Cheesy Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steal all the chandeliers down your street and call it romance.
karynlibrarian
I finallly have a blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006 09:50:33 AM »

Ahhhhhhhhhh! I can't see the pictures, but I'm sure this is the tutorial I need to use!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Slim_secret
peek-a-choo

Make ART not WAR.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006 03:49:36 PM »

what bad luck!! i need it too plz fix the pix
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiles are my weakness,
coincidence that its your annoyance.
Khryztina

..Put your big girl panties..and deal with it!!..

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006 11:18:53 PM »

oohh...i could use the pics too!..  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Exalt the Lord our God and worship at His holy mountain, for the Lord our God is holy.

[Psalm 99:9]
janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

Everything happens for a reason.

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006 04:14:59 PM »

Sorry guys...I had a crash and lost everything so can't retrieve the pics.  Should have posted them on Craftster.  As soon as I get a chance, I will repost.  Sorry.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Robert Crais
Suzanne Guillette Reveals Who She Admires Most
Meet Author Phyllis Montana-Leblanc
Pathfinder Book Trailer
Lisa Jones Reads from Broken
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...