A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Denim Quilt for Mom  (Read 1465 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

daisypirate

good, old-fashioned crafter gal

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2005 05:27:23 PM »

hey there,
just wanted to share some photos of a quilt i made and gave to my mom last mother's day

i was moving and decided to cut up my old jeans to make the quilt top and use an old printed sheet from india that i'd used as a wall hanging for years to make the quilt backing

it was so cheap to make (rotary cutter, cutting mat and plastic square for $1 each at the shop, a spool of thread for a couple bucks and that was about it! oh i did splurge on iron-on batting but it wasn't worth it, IMO!)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010 01:03:03 PM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is the nature of this SIG?
orangeabsinthe

On the eighth day, God created beer!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005 05:31:13 PM »

I love it! I love the pattern!!  I would NEVER have the patience to do a quilt like that!
 PS...is your backing folded into an oragami bird?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005 05:33:39 PM by orangeabsinthe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
daisypirate

good, old-fashioned crafter gal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005 06:26:54 PM »

thanks so much! it was really really easy, though -- what i did was simply start cutting up my jeans (i think i used a 20x20cm square approx) until they were no more. then, i took all the squares and started arranging them until i found a pattern i liked. sewing is easy but time-consuming. i sewed the small squares first, then added the large ones doing row by row.

i didn't want to bother with actual quilting or tying, you know, so that's why i opted for the iron-on batting. however, when i had it dry-cleaned, it came back all rumpled and the batting was messed up so i had to open it up and re-do everything. i almost died!!! my grandmother and her friend came to my rescue, though.

when the quilt was finished (well, the first time!), my friend folded it up like an origami crane!! so, yes, that's what that is :-) i didn't have a normal picture of the back of the quilt, so i had to use that one to show you guys what the back looked like!!

every one here always does the most AWESOME quilts and i'm always so inspired, even though i rarely have the time to post *or* craft! i'm just now getting a chance to put up some of the stuff i've done over the last year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is the nature of this SIG?
angelbum
Tutorial Contributor

Artisania

I wonder what I'll make today...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005 02:23:22 PM »

very cool! I like the pattern you came up with. jean and flannel will be my next project after this baby quilt I'm starting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kellyk
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005 04:39:30 AM »

I love the way you put the colors together!  Looks fantastic! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chinese Scallion Pancakes
Sushi Rolling 101: Chef in Your Pocket - Part 2
Sushi Rolling 101: Chef in Your Pocket - Part 1
How to Cook Somen Noodles
How to Make Healthy Shirataki Noodles
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...