A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,721
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Edited: *Textile Design Repeat Tutorial* imgs  (Read 2806 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knittinglizzie
Knitting Lizzie

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2005 10:37:19 AM »

*Textile Design Repeat Tutorial*

Although I'm sure that there are other ways of doing this, and that there are more styles of repeats, here are 3 that are easy and interesting!

To do any of these take a sheet of paper and fold it in half and then in half again. Open your paper up, there should be 4 sections. You should number each section 1-4. To get a repeat you are going to draw designs across the entire sheet and re-arrange the boxes so that you can have the design repeat. I like to start by making my first design in the intersection of the 4 boxes before I cut them apart because it is easier to draw before you have to separate the them.

Start by putting your first design in the middle, then other ones across each box intersection. It gets easier once you've done it a couple of times, and you get a better idea of where things are going to move around.
Then cut the pieces apart and re-arrange them into the 2nd and 3rd positions according to your chosen repeat style. Continue to draw your designs, taking careful notice to line up your previous designs. You'll know that you are done when you can move the pieces into the 3 positions and everything magically lines up and repeats.

Block:
This is the easiest to begin with as you understand the shifting easier.

Brick:
This will produce a design that repeats your design like a brick wall.

Half Drop:
This is the hardest to plan out, but produces the most interesting design.

When your design can fully repeat you are ready to put it back together, tape it back up. Then you should make 4 photo copies of it. Tape the 4 copies together so that they repeat. There should be parts that are bisected. You should cut out around those parts and attatch them so that all the images are full and none are cut in half.
Now your design is ready to be inked and then burnt into your screens!

I know that this will probably sound vague, so let me know where I can clarify myself more. This is also my first tutorial, so it is probably pretty poorly done! good luck though!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005 04:31:33 AM by knittinglizzie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Satrina
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005 11:48:36 AM »

Please, Please, Please make a tutorial.  I've been screenprinting for about 5 months and I badly want to desoign my own fabric. 

I've only printed on pre-made clothes.  I want to try scarves but I'm confused about textile repeats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
luckylady
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005 09:57:14 AM »

I've recently become interested in textile design and am thinking of taking a class.  My partner and are starting up a t-shirt etc. design company, mainly with silkscreened images, but I really want to try to design some patterns too.

How do you begin?  Do you use found images for creating a pattern or do you design them yourself?

I think making bags is a great project for your printed fabric.  Also, I've seen some amazing locally silkscreened wallpaper at this store in brooklyn: http://www.thefutureperfect.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This is our lucky day.
remisica

Perception is a vicious cycle. Groar!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005 11:05:45 AM »

i would be interested in a tutorial
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look for me in the white forest, hiding in a hollow tree.
knittinglizzie
Knitting Lizzie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005 03:21:10 AM »

i went away for the long all-saints weekend so I'll have some more time this week to put together a tutorial. hold tight! i'll work as fast as i can!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silvermam
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005 03:38:34 AM »

I'd love a tute too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
remisica

Perception is a vicious cycle. Groar!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005 04:13:17 AM »

thanks lizzie! since i've just started a new term, its really no hurry for me. thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look for me in the white forest, hiding in a hollow tree.
knittinglizzie
Knitting Lizzie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005 04:32:56 AM »

it is up because my plans of snapping photos today is cancelled due to the florence fall rain! like i said in the tutorial, let me know where i can help because i'm sure it makes more sense to me because i've done it before! salute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make White Chocolate Shortbread
Pumpkin Caramel Oatmeal Squares Recipe
How to Make Frightful Candy Apples
Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream Recipe
Halloween Ghosts
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...