A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my wonderunder speaks a different language  (Read 977 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nirak
« on: October 26, 2005 05:33:42 AM »

I'm making iron-on patches for the christmas market this year.  

For that, I recently bought some wonder-under in Japan ("melt fuse" by Japan Vilene Company).

It's different from the Pellon brand I'm used to which is not at all stuck to the non-stick sheet it's sold with.  The glue activates easily, with a touch of the iron.

This Vilene Melt Fuse I bought is a thinner webbing and is quite attached to the nonstick sheet. It also needs more pressing to activate the glue.  When dried, it stay sticky to the touch.  Looking at the drawings included with the directions, I'm worried that I'm expected to do a whip stitch around the applique to reinforce it. That of course, doesn't work for the iron patches I intend to sell.

Has anyone had experience with wonder-under that behaves this way?

Is there someone out there able to decipher the directions, especially step 4 and the warning symbol at the bottom? My winter project and I would be very grateful! We're really in a jam!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010 11:11:44 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarrngirl
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005 04:01:02 AM »

Dear Nirak,

The instructions do indeed say that you should sew the edges of the applique so that your finished piece doesn't fray easily. However I thought this was the standard with any fusing paper.
I don't think it is vital to sew the edges, just recommended. With shop bought patches, they tend to have the edges presewn don't they, to prevent fraying.

The warning just says that depending on the type of fabric you might not get a strong fusing or discolouration so you should test first.
Right at the bottom it says that using a steam iron will produce a stronger fusing.

I checked my understanding with a Japanese person so hopefully this information is accurate.
Good luck with your project.

If you need help with the other instructions I'll try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nirak
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005 12:27:21 AM »

Thanks a bunch, Yarrngirl !

At the market, I'm going to try to keep the patches to a minimum...knowing the risks involved ;-)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Holiday Garland Decorations 101
How to Make a Christmas-Tree Table Topper
Professional-Looking Holiday Flower Containers
Felt Wine-Bottle Topper Craft
Martha Stewart Makes a Sweet-Gum Wreath
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...