A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
422 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jacksonville/Camp Lejuene  (Read 7632 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Roxsun40
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009 07:14:49 PM »

Hi.. I live in J-ville and where is the thrift store that was in the opening post?

Also, that thrift store on base throws away ALOT of stuff in the dumpsters around back. I have seen other people going threw it and you will not even believe some of the things that they pulled out!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazylittlekels
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010 03:03:38 PM »

Hi there all Smiley
I'm moving to the Jacksonville area soon and was wondering if anyone could help me out. See I've lived in Oregon my whole life and I've never been to the East coast! My boyfriend is stationed there and I'm hoping to find some good places to shop around (trift, yarn, etc.) Also any basic city help would be awesome! Thanks a bunch for this post. I'll definitely look up those thrift stores when I move Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post things like this in my blog too!
April Sprinkles blog
Nachoqtpie
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010 11:46:27 AM »

Well... Jacksonville is a really big small town. There really isn't alot here, but there's alot here. It's sort of an enigma in it's own right. Everything is pretty much geared towards the military, and places for them to spend their money. Living here is okay, but, sometimes I wish I lived closer ti Wilmington.
I've lived here for a for a few years. I can't say that I've ever been to the thrift store on base or the one at Infant of Prauge, but I guess I will have to go now! :-)

Anybody know if there are any crafting groups going on here? I'm a newbie with just about everything, but I'm trying to be more frugal/crafty with everything. I would love to get together with other people and learn some new stuff! :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Roxsun40
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010 05:47:19 PM »

Well... Jacksonville is a really big small town. There really isn't alot here, but there's alot here. It's sort of an enigma in it's own right. Everything is pretty much geared towards the military, and places for them to spend their money. Living here is okay, but, sometimes I wish I lived closer ti Wilmington.
I've lived here for a for a few years. I can't say that I've ever been to the thrift store on base or the one at Infant of Prauge, but I guess I will have to go now! :-)

Anybody know if there are any crafting groups going on here? I'm a newbie with just about everything, but I'm trying to be more frugal/crafty with everything. I would love to get together with other people and learn some new stuff! :-)

I wish I could find some crafting groups in Jacksonville too.. if you happened to run across anything plz let me know.. Shocked)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AngelicaSews
Grr...arrgh

Beware the mini ninja!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010 06:32:45 PM »

Hey Everybody!! I live in Bolton, which is bout 2 hours south of J-ville but my husband is a firefighter on Lejeune so I go up there a lot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's starting to get cold here, finally!!!

http://wists.com/AngelicaSews
babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010 07:04:55 PM »

Hya all,
   I am just down the road about 25 min in Newport/Morehead City..We travel to Jville for some great shopping as we have NOTHING here really! I would love to get a group together to go Nov 1 to Wilmington to Joanns.. I can carry 7 other adults in my Suburban..Anyone game and we can do lunch too??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
KristiShep
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011 06:55:45 PM »

Ok Jacksonville time to dust off our thread this is really sad! I have been in Jville for about a year and going crazy b/c i have no artsy crafty friends!!!! My house is under construction right now and I am a bit embarrassed to have ppl over but I would love to maybe do an outing to the thrift stores or get a group of ppl to go the Azalea fair? that is if anyone ever checks this thing any more  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazylittlekels
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012 08:30:50 AM »

As far as craft stores go, I'm pretty sure there's only Michaels and Hancock fabrics in town. There's also a place called Cotton Patch which sells fabrics and quilting supplies. I've driven by it a couple of times, but I've never stopped in. If you want a good craft store experience it might be in your best interest to go about an hour out of town to the Michaels in Wilmington. It's huge! Not sure about any other craft stores in that area though.

I've also been doing a little bit of thrift store shopping lately and thought I would share my "research" with you all. Smiley
If you start from piney green and go down Lejeune Blvd there's a handful of thrift stores to check out.

Yesterday's Thrift store: 2417 Lejeune Blvd
This place has a lot of stuff. It's a pretty good second-hand store. They have a craft section with some fabric and whatnot. The back room has all the clothes and some other stuff, but it's not air-conditioned. (Just a warning, since it gets so hot and muggy here in the summer.)

There are also a bunch of pawn stores in between, which probably won't have a lot of crafty things in them, but if you like that sort of thing they might be worth a look.

Habitat for Humanity restore: 1909 Lejeune Blvd
I haven't been in here yet, but it seems okay from the outside.

Infant of Prague thrift store: 933 Lejeune Blvd
I know someone mentioned this place previously, but when we passed by it looked, well, scary, lol. Okay, not "Scary" but sketchy. No sign, just a small place with a curtain over the door. But like they say, looks can be deceiving. If you're brave, take a look! Smiley

Then if you go down Hargett Street there are a handful of secondhand stores all in the same area. A couple of them are:

Bargains Blessings 1203 Hargett ST (I haven't been here yet)
and
Finders Keepers 1209 A Hargett ST
I really like Finders Keepers, even if it's not the best thrift store. If you sign up for e-mails you get a coupon every week. They also have a facebook page to like and get extra discounts too. They don't usually have a lot in the crafting section, but they have some clothes so if you like to refashion then this might be a good place to shop Smiley I think their prices are pretty decent, plus it's for a great cause! "Shop to stop domestic violence." here is the facbook page link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Finders-Keepers-Thrift-Store-Onslow-Womens-Center/393678847313618

Back on Western Blvd there's Goodwill, which is called GCF. It's at 1113 Western Blvd.
They mostly have clothes, but it's been a year since I've been in there, so maybe things have changed. I plan on checking it out soon, so maybe I'll update this then. Overall not bad, but not great.

I used this website to find nearby thrift stores: http://www.thethriftshopper.com/city/Jacksonville/NC/1.htm
There are so many more that aren't on there that I've seen just by driving by around town, so don't limit yourself to that list.

As far as crafty groups go, I heard there was a stich'n'bitch knitting club that met at Starbucks near the mall on Tuesdays at 6 pm or something. I met a woman in Michaels who told me about it, but I didn't get to go because we suddenly got news that my boyfriend was to deploy soon after that. But that was over a year ago, and I haven't gone since to see if it's still around and I lost her information. I feel pretty bad about it Sad

Anyway, I know there are a bunch of crafty ladies in this town (or ladies who are secretly crafty), but it is hard to have little craft meetings because I know personally that I want to spend as much time with my marine as possible. (Well, at least for those of us who have significant others in the military, lol. I'm not sure about the rest of you.) Something about never knowing how much tim you have together before they have to leave... Plus, it's never guaranteed that people will stick around here very long if they are attached to the military like that. It's hard to make friends, and hard to make plans. That sucks! Tongue We just gotta try harder I guess.

Well, I hope this helps someone! I should be here for another year or so Smiley
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012 03:33:43 PM by crazylittlekels » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post things like this in my blog too!
April Sprinkles blog
karihitt
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2012 05:39:00 PM »

hey ladies! this might be a long shot, but is there anyone that can knit/crochet that can teach me?? I've got baby #2 on the way, and I'd love to make something for their arrival! I'm new to this site & would appreciate it very much! TIA!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012 08:37:48 PM »

there is classes on base.. well there were not long ago before I left the area.. you can also go on lejeuneyardsale.com and ask someone and Michale's there on Western does too .... I just moved from there to MA....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Pre-Linking and Adjusting Text Frame Options
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Setting up Text Links Across Multiple Frames
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating a Layout and Duplicating Text Frames
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Adding Pages to the Document
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Placing and Directing Overflow Text
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...