A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,681
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Felted Mittens from Recyled Sweater - Ridiculously easy!!! TUTORIAL  (Read 49241 times)
Tags for this thread: sweater_recon , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

morr0226
« on: October 24, 2005 10:17:07 AM »

So I am the laziest crafter in the whole world.  I've recently discovered that felting old wool sweaters and re-purposing them is maybe the least work for the coolest payoff.  Yes, I know it's not a new thing, but it's new to me....  Anyway. 
I made these mittens from a sweater that I got for a buck seventy-five at a thrift store.   They are sooooo warm, which is important here in the chilly climes of Minnesota.  I've also done purses, totes, etc.  Someday, if I'm feeling really ambitious, I'd like to try making a quilted blanket out of sweater pieces.   But I'd have to learn to quilt first. 

The steps for the project are as follows:
1. Buy sweater (100% wool - NOT machine washable.) 

2. Wash sweater in the washing machine with a little soap and the hottest water you can manage.  The bonus to this step is that your house will, for a time, smell like a wet sheep.

3.  When sweater is felted ( you can't see the distinct stitches anymore), lay it on a towel to dry.  When the sweater is still wet, you can hand stretch it considerably, if you want.

4.  Lay your paw on the sweater and cut around it, leaving at least an inch around all sides.  It will look
gi-normous.  I was generous at the bottom - I like a long mitten.

5. Pin with right sides together (In other words, so the sides you want facing out are on the inside.)

6. Put your hand on the mitten to see how much seam allowance you want to leave.  Take your hand off the mitten and and sew all the way around. (Not the bottom, though.)  I'm not much with a needle and thread, so I machine stitched them.  Gave my machine quite a workout.

7.  Trim the seam allowance, and turn right-side out.   

8.  I wanted a tighter-fitting cuff, so I cut the ribbing off the sweater cuffs and sewed them to the inside of the mitten.  The result is a mitten that goes almost all the way up to my elbow, but as I stressed earlier, I like a long mitten. 

Here they are:

Anyone have any other ideas for recycled sweater projects?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009 11:41:32 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
the noodle princess

When you are the moon....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005 10:45:50 AM »

congrats on the wonderful mittens!
i just bought this amazing  book called " Second- Time Cool  the art of chopping up a sweater".
it has tons of project ideas that are really funky and original. it shows how to make bags, slippers, hats, skirts, arm and leg warmers etc. and really cool ideas for embellishing them too.
i can't believe i've been spending all this time trying to knit and crochet stuff when this is a much easier way!
so far i'm not having much luck finding 100% wool sweaters in the thrifts though.
i started making a bag with a sweater i already had- someday i will try to post something!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
carmenita

Yes I would, if I only could, I surely would.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005 06:15:55 PM »

That is aaaaaaaaaaawesome! Cheesy I am gonna do that. My hands are always cold.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
morr0226
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005 06:30:49 AM »

i just bought this amazing  book called " Second- Time Cool  the art of chopping up a sweater".
it has tons of project ideas that are really funky and original. it shows how to make bags, slippers, hats, skirts, arm and leg warmers etc. and really cool ideas for embellishing them too.

Thanks for the great tip - I just ordered the book on Amazon.  I can't wait.  Here are some pictures of other recycled sweater projects.  Both from the same sweater, as you can probably tell.  I personally think the legwarmers are wicked awesome.  I didn't do anything to them - no sewing required.  They're just the sleeves from the felted sweater.

I know what you mean about wasting time knitting.  I can't believe how easy this stuff is.  

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009 11:39:59 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
GraceOblivious
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005 07:30:32 AM »

Oh this is too cool, did a search a few days ago and there was nothing on sweater to mittens recons, so was planning a tute - came to post it today and you got one in already, Yipee!!  Very similiar to how mine were done, Great minds..... wow........ too too cool.  So now just need to share the photo.  The  main difference is I call the shrinking process fulling instead of felting.  Thanks for the great tute.

Photo also has a neckwarmer, short scarf made from one sleeve with button closure.  The hat is another recon - simply added vintage buttons to existing hat band on thrift store hat.  Black gloves are new with pink beads sewn onto cuff.  The leaves are fiber fusions.

morr0226 the leg warmers are wicked cool.  Fun bag too!

add my thanks to  the noodle princess, that book sounds right up my alley too!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2005 07:33:53 AM by GraceOblivious » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
wokeupafraud
it's always you in my big dreams

andrew mcmahonnnnn <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005 11:43:17 AM »

I love that hat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

so I guess we're back to us, oh cameraman
swing the focus. In case I lost my train of
thought, where was it that we last left off?
let's pick up, pick up

http://home.promosquad.com/referal.shtml?referer=_heartacheontv&band=62
morr0226
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005 02:23:13 PM »

Thanks, Grace!  Love your stuff - very creative and professional-looking.  What did you do to the sleeve to make it into the neckwarmer?  Mini-tute, perhaps?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Heresy

Dreaming of tools.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005 04:23:19 PM »

Funny enough, I just bought a sweater and felted it up with the intention of making slippers out of the sleeves, and mittens. You're post is perfectly timed for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the noodle princess

When you are the moon....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005 05:24:42 PM »

haha this is like that 100th monkey story- 1 monkey figured out how to do something and then monkeys all over the place started doing it simultaneously! well, i'm sure lots of people have been doing it forever but i'm just so darn excited about it.
not to say that knitting is a waste of time, because time that you enjoy wasting was not wasted. but using sweaters is just so much more instant gratification. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
xstillxherex72
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005 05:29:11 PM »

wow, i am def. going to try that out!

much love
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...