A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,842
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with photo-takers / idea-stealers???  (Read 22853 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crafty gurll
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2009 11:42:32 PM »

You can never be 100 percent sure why they are taking photos, it could be innocent or they could be stealing ideas, who knows.  In our pottery studio, we always say, "They aren't copying us, they are complimenting our work."   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2009 11:50:41 PM »

I haven't done a craft show yet, but I'm working on things, perhaps will
be ready in the spring. I have pictures on-line already. Though I haven't copyrighted anything, one thing for certain is, everything I make is signed. Even the swap items are signed, if at all possible.  Someday, I believe that will count for something. I'm not so worried about pictures, since I have them published via Myspace. Though, I do not put things on Craftster that I make to sell. Everything I post here is made for fun, or swaps. If people want to see what I sell, they can ask, or click the link.
But, I have dealt with the public for 30 years, in the Bridal Business. I find most of the time speculative selling is a waste of time, when you do commissioned work. You usually end up being lucky just to get your materials cost out of your stuff, 'cause people don't want to pay. (I have done some other venues than full-blown craft -fairs)
I really like the craft kit idea. I also have been thinking of a sit -down and make it here- approach, that may work at a craft fair. Mostly, people taking pictures are doing it for fun. The ones who are trying to copy usually give themselves away, so you be firm with them. But, in public sales, never be rude at any cost. It will cause more bad press by thier gossip than you ever know. It is said that a happy customer will tell 2 people, an unhappy customer will tell 30 people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tennisgal86
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2010 07:24:46 AM »

AS my husband is a sculptor who often works at shows or on the street in manhattan we have seen a lot of picture takers over the years.  Most of the time people take photos because they think something is cool, but he has had multiple people threaten to or attempt to coppy his work (you can always tell the fakes as he has been perfecting his art for 10 years now).  It frustrates him, I have seen him get very angry, he's yelled and in many ways he has a right to.  When you spend 10 years creating something and it is the sole way you provide for your family you become very protective of your work.  He does often pursue people who attempt to copy his work when he finds it online (I alwyas tease him about googling himself and his work) 

I guess where I'm going with this is that you can't really stop people from taking photos, usually DH will tell them he doens't allow photos when he catches them (much to my chagrin he has chased off a couple of ligitmate reporters who don't ask first) but his usualy position is those who ask may take photos.  A lot of it is a respect thing for him, if someone is polite enough to ask then chances are they just admire the work and want to show it off to people, the ones who are rude are the jerks who want to copy your stuff. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TkRainy

Everybody wants a big ol' slice of a little pie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2012 11:28:34 PM »

We all get inspirations and ideas from OTHER things and OTHER people.

The most sound advice here is to put up a no photos sign, and making d.i.y. kits. Plenty of other people do this, just put the sign somewhere really noticeable, in fact put at least 2 out. When people take photos, ask them if they can read and point the sign out. Personally, if I am actually selling anything, I wouldn't give a shit. But also personally, I ALWAYS ask before I take pictures, and when I take pictures it's usually because I want to send it to someone to see if they like it, so I can BUY IT FOR THEM. Please feel free to smack around people who don't ask. Because there's plenty of other people doing worse things than smacking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shadojake
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2013 08:15:00 AM »

I had a long reply typed up here when my finger hit the wrong key and sent it into cyberspace. Sad LOL  I will try to summarize what I wrote.  Please bear with me as I give a bit of background.

I make custom coasters, which I learned to do in December of 2012.  I took a class at a local flooring store.  My dh and I had done a lot of business with this store over the last few years and that is how I found out about the class.  When I took it, it never entered my mind that I could make these coasters to sell.  I saw it as something to possibly make it as gifts and no more.

I made 2 sets of 4 coasters in class.  I gave one set to my dear friend.  I have the other set to my nail technician.  As I was giving it to her, one of her other clients walked in and loved the coasters.  She asked if I sell them.  To my surprise, yes came out of my mouth.  Then she asked, how much?  I gave her a price, which was divine inspiration because I didnt know how much to charge.  (Turns out my first customer was my most difficult! LOL Live and learn.)

Since then I have been in about 5 craft shows and have taken many orders personally.  I just did my first wholesale to a local home decorator store.  They sell decorative items for the inside and outside of the home.

So my question is this ... did I steal the idea from the flooring store owner who taught the class, which had about 15 ladies in attendance?  The designs out there are endless using the methods I do.  My inspiration now comes from photos, nature, napkins, paintings, music, my own imagination and so much more.  I dont believe any one design can be directly linked back to any one thing that has inspired me.  My designs are a result of the mishmash of things Ive seen and loved.

About taking photos of my product ... I dont want photos taken.  The design is my intellectual property ... combining the elements used in my coasters is something Ive worked on.  Sometimes a design just pops into my mind but then I have to work developing it make it fit in the space I have available.  Or maybe I have a theme that comes to mind then I have to find elements to make it come to life in an actual design.

Can someone learn what I do?  Of course they can.  Will they be able to copy a particular design I do?  If they have the particular items at their disposal to make that particular design and can remember it till they get home.  My number of designs has increased to the point I have to take a picture and print out.  I have created a filing system with pertinent information so I can remember what to use.  Without my system I would not be able to remember what I have made over the months.  At any given craft show, I will have dozens of different designs.  If someone can remember the one particular design till they get home out of all the designs I have, good for them.  LOL

I was talking to my dh last night as I was working my way through this thread.  He said he believes I give away too much information.  My dh is most likely right in this regard, he often has insights I dont have.  So I am rethinking what I share with others.  Not that I dont want them to have a fulfilling craft to do.  However, what I think Ill do is refer them to the flooring place where I learned to do it.  That way, they get more customers for their class, which I believe they only teach in December.  Plus it protects what I am doing and the things Ive learned since taking the class.

What is frustrating is what happened at the last craft show I was vending at.  There were 3 others selling coasters, and 2 of them had theirs for sale for a lot less.  However, theirs were not to the quality or the same process that I use.  But when people dont know the difference, they wonder why I charge x and the others are charging of x or possibly even less.  That is why I try to share what I do, and dh says Ive shared too much.  I will have to find that balance of what to share and what to hold back.  The other person had a more reasonable price on hers considering the time she put into it

In all this time the people who own the flooring store have never asked to see my finished product.  They have never brought up taking any on consignment, having a few samples, or taking any on wholesale either.  They are the only place I buy my tile (to this point) so they know this is an ongoing business for me.  I do understand though, that they want people to take their class, not just buy a set and be done with it.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.  Just wanted to jump in here though this thread has been around a while.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world!
Chris in VT
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2013 04:46:41 AM »

So my question is this ... did I steal the idea from the flooring store owner who taught the class, which had about 15 ladies in attendance?  The designs out there are endless using the methods I do.  My inspiration now comes from photos, nature, napkins, paintings, music, my own imagination and so much more.  I dont believe any one design can be directly linked back to any one thing that has inspired me.  My designs are a result of the mishmash of things Ive seen and loved.

About taking photos of my product ... I dont want photos taken.  The design is my intellectual property ... combining the elements used in my coasters is something Ive worked on.  Sometimes a design just pops into my mind but then I have to work developing it make it fit in the space I have available.  Or maybe I have a theme that comes to mind then I have to find elements to make it come to life in an actual design.
Your designs are public domain until you copyright AND register them with the Library of Congress. Until you do this, anybody can "steal" your designs and copyright them and claim them as their own.

www.copyright.gov

What is frustrating is what happened at the last craft show I was vending at.  There were 3 others selling coasters, and 2 of them had theirs for sale for a lot less.  However, theirs were not to the quality or the same process that I use.  But when people dont know the difference, they wonder why I charge x and the others are charging of x or possibly even less.  That is why I try to share what I do, and dh says Ive shared too much.  I will have to find that balance of what to share and what to hold back.  The other person had a more reasonable price on hers considering the time she put into it.
Welcome to the world of craft shows. You will always get another exhibitor who may undercut your prices. You just deal with it. But I agree with your DH that you're sharing too much.

When people ask me where I get my supplies or how I do something, I just smile. That's all I need to do and they get the message.

Photographs? Today you'll never know if someone is photographing your work. That's why copyrights are so important, especially for those of us who do this for a living.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
shadojake
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2013 01:58:22 PM »

Your designs are public domain until you copyright AND register them with the Library of Congress. Until you do this, anybody can "steal" your designs and copyright them and claim them as their own.

www.copyright.gov

Okay, lets say I have 50 unique designs which is totally reasonable for what I do.  Are you saying each of the 50 unique designs has to be copyrighted and registered?

Let me take it one step further.  If each design is available in different colors, does each set with a different color have to be copyrighted also?

I am working with coasters made of tile.  From what I see on the website I have to send in hard copies of my work.  Does that mean they want actual coasters sent in?  If so, that is absurd.  I making new designs on a consistent basis ... so that would mean sending in stuff all the time.  It s not a one time thing with this.  Plus mailing coasters would cost a ton.

Please help me understand a little better.  If this is too off topic, I understand.  If you want to help but off the forum, you can email me at customcoastersbycindy@comcast.net.  Thanks so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God Bless,
Cindy

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world!
Chris in VT
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2013 04:09:27 PM »

What you do is "write a book".

You get some cover stock for the covers, and put every item you have that's original into the book. You then send that book to be copyrighted.

Cheap and easy.

Then you can have a page stating that "no portion of any design may be reproduced in any manner without the expressed written consent of the author."

Once your book is copyrighted and registered, you then place the copyright symbol and your name in the corner of every design you have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudios.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Surprising Beauty Buys from Whole Foods
How to Get Firmer, Clearer Skin in 10 Minutes
How to Prevent Mascara From Running
All About the Lip
Golden Globes 2014 Beauty Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...