A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 305,886
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with photo-takers / idea-stealers???  (Read 27077 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Buglady

Herding cats & chasing beads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2007 10:09:01 AM »

As for the "where do you get your supplies" question, I generally reply that I buy things from an assortment of places - some online retailers, some chain stores, some specialty shops, and that I might not be able to tell them exactly where I got a specific item. 

I tell people the same thing, and also that I combine supplies from different sources (on purpose, but I don't tell them that part), so it is hard to tell sometimes.

I sometimes wonder about the copying part, but I'm pretty confident that nobody would be able to duplicate my colour combinations or specific proportions. I've taught a few people some techniques, and looking at how they'll mangle a simple wrapped loop, I am not too worried!

I have had one person get annoyed that I wouldn't teach her exactly how to do my signature pieces (beaded spiders), but she wanted me to teach not only her but her Grade 5 class, and I told her quite honestly that those particular items are a lot more complicated than they look and that there was no way a kid could do it. I offered to do something simpler but she didn't like that idea (AND got shirty with me because I didn't have these craft ideas on my website... hellooo, I am not out there as a teacher, I am a jeweller! SHE approached ME about teaching!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bead Bugs, suncatchers & unique jewellery - www.theartfulsalamander.com
New Etsy shop! www.theartfulsalamander.etsy.com
pookel
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2007 03:15:29 PM »

I can't believe in 8 pages of the thread no one had the same thought I did.

What if the picture takers are planning to send the photos to a friend and say, "hey, I think you would like these"? Or, "should I buy this for my mom?"

Especially if you're talking cell phone pics, I bet a significant percentage of people taking pictures are not trying to copy - they are taking note of the things you sell, for recommending to others or considering buying later. And if you tell them no pictures, you might be losing sales.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aphie
Botticelli Babe

No narrow-hipped nymphet, I'm a Botticelli Babe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2007 06:59:51 PM »

Forgive me, I skimmed, and this is a kind of rehash of what many others have said, BUT when I was living in London there was an awesome stall at Spitalfields Market which sold tiny, BEAUTIFUL cupcakes. They simply had a couple of signs up on the stall that read:

If you would like to take pictures, please also support us and buy some of our cakes.

I thought it was a very neat solution to the problem posted by the OP - the stallholders didn't mind people snapping a few shots of the entire stall, provided they bought some of the cakes, and people generally got the message it wouldn't be polite to do a half hour photo-shoot of the cupcakes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Craft Blog }
I do personal swaps - PM me!
naturalcreation
Love and respect for all of God's critters :)

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2007 11:30:30 PM »

Design stealing is a form of flattery, correct? [sarcasm]

I mean, besides the copyright and trademark infringement. (remind your idea-stealers of THAT - while I'm thinking of it, make sure you photograph all your own stuff and send the appropriate paperwork to the copyright office BEFORE you show...)

In my past existence I designed originals. They were very hard to copy without spending several hundred $$ dollars so I didn't worry too much about it. I guess that's one of the good things about working with stuff from the natural world. It can't be mass-produced for cheap.

My current & future plan is to also sell the kits. No one is an island and the minute these things are exposed for view, they will be knocked off. It's human nature, right? [sarcasm] If they are too cheap to buy the completed items, they can buy the supplies from me and make "my" items themselves.
Many people will be surprised by how expensive this stuff is. I've actually had to resort to buying common items to make some less-expensive kits (more accessible to a lower-income audience).
The kit sales are also good for kids, and people buying gifts or projects for kids. The kids who can't afford the completed item can still afford some of the lower-end kits. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
disposableactor
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2008 07:03:26 PM »

Take your own camera to the event with you.  When they start snapping photos of your wares.  Whip out your camera and take photos of THEM.
muahahahaha!

I would do it if I ever had something worth copying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crystalpeace
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2008 09:08:48 AM »

i completely understand why some people were prefer you not take photos. cause some of the artists there at the show are there to make money, and would like people to buy their items, and not take photos to copy themselves.  i myself have copied items but only after i have seen stuff on here, or at another person's home.  i even came up with a few very new ideas i havent seen anywhere even searching online.  i like this for a possible sign
If you would like to take pictures, please also support us and buy some of our cakes.
and i think a few more people would buy from you with that sign than just  please no photos
THIS ROCKS   Logged
polaris082411
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2008 04:37:41 AM »

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make your home in oritental style!
http://www.discovery5000.com/chanpin.asp
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2008 07:51:40 PM »

I honestly could care less when people ask me for my suppliers or take pics or ask detailed questions about how I make things. Maybe because soap and lotion is so very very hmm...flexible?  Actually I'm kinda flattered and enjoy talking about my process. I can give someone my recipe and my suppliers, and mine will still be better because I have however many years experience on them. Or not even better, but "my own."  I have made a lot of crafting friends by sharing tips at craft fairs over the years. Yes it has taken me years to develop my own recipes and yes also to years of researching and trying out different suppliers...but even if you hand deliver all that info to someone, they will still probably be too lazy to work it out and actually do it.  A lot of this could be because of the craft that I do, I'm sure I would feel differently about one of a kind artwork or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love nail art? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!

~Want Prizes?! The 2016 QuiltAlong is open for business!~

Instagram: Soapsbymaremare
Nesse
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2009 09:51:29 PM »

I can't believe in 8 pages of the thread no one had the same thought I did.

What if the picture takers are planning to send the photos to a friend and say, "hey, I think you would like these"? Or, "should I buy this for my mom?"

Especially if you're talking cell phone pics, I bet a significant percentage of people taking pictures are not trying to copy - they are taking note of the things you sell, for recommending to others or considering buying later. And if you tell them no pictures, you might be losing sales.

I absolutely agree with this, and I'm also surprised nobody else has this mindset. I demonstrate and vend at many craft fairs and I always bring my camera to document the event. For me it's an artistic thing, I love taking pictures - especially of awesome handmade items. but if I see something I like there's a good chance I'm going to photograph it for inspiration. Doesn't mean I plan to make an exact replica of someone else's work. and I never thought people would think I had these intentions. I guess that's because I'm naive and don't think that everyone's out to steal my ideas.

So if someone was taking pictures of my craftmanship, I would be more flattered than offended. If they started taking notes and getting really detailed shots, I would be a little more weary though. But I'd be happy to discuss my work with someone. Of course I wouldn't tell them exactly how it was made or exactly where I get my materials. But if someone's trying to learn a new craft, I'm happy to help.

I guess the point of this is to explain that not everybody is "out to get you" or steal your ideas for the purpose of selling.

and if you are to put signs up saying not to take pictures, make sure you do it in a cute way so you don't deter customers Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2009 06:44:30 AM »

i dont mind if people sell the same thing as me, i dont like the anger from other sellers...thats what puts me off

I don't have a problem with explaining how I make my crafts.  At the farmer's market you can often find me teaching folks how to spin/knit/crochet/weave.  When it comes to my milk soaps, I'll give a high level explanation of how to make them.  If they are still interested, I explain a bit more about the fatty acid compositions of various oils and offer my soap making class.

Recently at our farmer's market (it is a small year 'round, indoor market) the market board decided to let another soap & lotion maker vend.  At first I was thrilled (competition only makes me a better salesman).  I spoke with the other vendor and found out she has never made a lotion/soap/body butter, et al in her life!  Worse yet, she bought her inventory from places like TX & GA.  I don't have anything against TX & GA, but in a venue that is suppose to offer Locally Produced items, this really got my goat!  Her reasoning was she couldn't find any local soapmakers ... (more on this later)

I brought my grievances to the market board.  They were only concerned about filling the market with vendors for the winter months.

I promptly offered & gave the new vendor a soap making lesson.  She didn't get the recipes I use, but I did give her names of suppliers (they're easily found on the internet anyway).  The new vendor revealed that she has visited my web site and saw my soap making tutorials and what I had for sale but didn't want to compete with me with my own product.

I cautioned her on developing her own soap recipes and not testing them out on unsuspecting customers.  I started making soaps in 1999 and didn't start selling them until 2001 after countless recipe tweaking and testing.

As for 'stealing' ideas at a craft show, I get inspiration from other craftsters at shows, even going so far as asking about things and how they are made.  I always take a business card.  Most of the time I end up not making whatever it was and call the craftster to buy from them.  The ideas I do 'steal' are for personal use or for a gift and I don't sell them ... execpt for maybe a particular scent blend for a soap ... then again, I still have to experiment & find the correct ratio for the blends & have my own personal soap/lotion recipes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Make Crispy Lemongrass Squid With Red Thai Curry Mayonnaise
Breakfast Egg Roll Recipe
How to Make Pork Buns the Chester Way
Miso Soup 101: Benefits and Recipes
How to Make Tender Steamed Fish With Sriracha and Coriander Dressing
Latest Blog Articles
June 29, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Summer Hat
Hedgies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...