A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,580
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why can't I figure out stripes?  (Read 1126 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fadeawaydream
« on: October 23, 2005 12:03:08 PM »

I've looked through some of these threads, but as I am a beginning self-taught knitter, most of the terms still don't make sense even when explained. So, the very basic question is:

How do I add stripes?!

All I can knit right now are scarves, in many pretty stitches mind you, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add another color or two to make a striped scarf. It looks like it should be quite easy to do, but the tutorials I've read all require strange knotting and joining and going back to fix all the little bumps of yarn sticking out--is it really that tedious or am I just reading the wrong instructions? So far I've stuck with variegated yarn because it accomplishes the stripes of color for me with having to switch yarn, but I'd like to eventually be able to use two (or more) separate colors with just as much ease.

Any help would be appreciated. (:

--Natalie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

candikaneiscrafty
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005 04:22:22 PM »

to make stripes i just attach another color at the end of a row and start knitting with that color. then weave in the ends after i finish
i hope this makes sence.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fadeawaydream
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005 08:17:30 PM »

I guess that's my problem--how do you attach another color? Explicit directions would be nice, even if they seem like common sense because I seem to lack the knitting sense necessary to accomplish such a task.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

useratl
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005 10:53:40 PM »

stripes R exactly that much of a pain in the butt, but the right project will make it worth the effort.

there r as many ways to change your colors as there r 2 make chili....

here is one good description:

http://web.archive.org/web/20041022000937/http://fiberartshop.com/board1/messages/5.htm

Posted by Nancy on November 26, 19101 at 16:02:07:

In Reply to: CHanging colors posted by brittany on November 22, 19101 at 19:36:53:

Dear Brittany,

The technique to create stripes depends on how wide you want the stripes. It is easiest if you
want the stripes to be an even number, such as 2 or 4 or 6 rows per color. When adding a new
color make sure you have a 3 to 4 inch tail that you can weave into the fabric after you are
finished knitting. The new color tail is held in the opposite hand from which you knit. Continue
to hold the tail until you have knit 4 or 5 stitches. Tie a half knot with the tail and the other color
to hold the new yarn on the edge temporarily until you are ready to weave in the tails. When
you return to the same edge that your previous color strand in hanging from, make sure the two
colors twist around each other once. This keeps the edge of the scarf neat.

If you want one color or odd number rows per color, you need to work with circular needles.
This way you can knit two right side rows one after the other, by sliding your stitches to the
other side of the needles. Knit row one (right side row) in color A, then while on the same side
of your work, slide the knitting left, back to the right side and knit row two (another right side
row) in color B. Repeat this action for the wrong side rows.

Hope you find this helpful
Nancy
Common Threads

: I am making a simple scarf to keep me warm during the cilly winter months and I want to make it striped. Ive already got one color cast on and the size I want. I wish to know how to make another color stripe and how to alternate between the two colors etc. Please help me! EEP!

read also:

http://www.wiseneedle.com/print-answer.asp?id=449

http://66.218.69.11/search/cache?p=changing+colors+when+knitting&ei=UTF-8&pstart=1&b=31&u=www.vogueknitting.com/tech/stitch/ribs/ribs.html&w=changing+colors+knitting&d=OH8njGFULoNX&icp=1&.intl=us

http://66.218.69.11/search/cache?p=changing+colors+when+knitting&ei=UTF-8&pstart=1&b=31&u=www.craftyarncouncil.com/cyca-forum/read.php%3Ff%3D3%26i%3D4118%26t%3D4118&w=changing+colors+knitting&d=aRv9EWFULcjr&icp=1&.intl=us

http://wendyknits.net/archives/000111.html

scarf ideas w/helpful hints:

http://alison.knitsmiths.us/pattern_beginners_scarves.html

on vertical striping --

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4386.asp

- cheers!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005 11:48:22 PM by useratl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scarlet
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005 05:38:54 AM »

This is how i was taught at school to change colours ;
I change colours by starting the new colour row by knitting with both yarns (old colour and new colour) together for 2 stitches. After that, you just drop the old colour and continue with new one!

This is really easy and it means that the old colour never unravels and you can simply weave the ends in.

One draw back is on scarves or items that you are not sewing up it will leave a strange "colour mix" at the edges of the knitting because you can see both colours at the beginning of the new row.  When knitting a garment that you are sewing up, this isn't a problem because you sew the edges together and this is hidden.

Other options (which i tend to do is though it may taken longer to knit, but you save time because you don't have the sewing/ weaving of yarn at the end) -

a) is knit the scarves double width.  When finished, fold it over length-wise and sewing up, trapping all the end inside!!  So it is like a tube!

Or

b) knit it on circular or double ended needles so it is also a tube (trapping the ends on the inside)

Hope this helps!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fadeawaydream
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005 09:52:55 AM »

Thanks! I never realized there were so many different ways to do it. I shall have to try this once I finish the three scarves I'm already working on (it's cold!). (:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

czarina
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005 11:45:29 AM »

For something simple, I just tie a simple double knot and start the new yarn, a lot like the way I join in a new ball of yarn...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhiandmoi
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005 12:01:26 PM »

You can knit 2 stitches with the new color, then knit one stitch with the short tail of the new color, then loosely tie the old color and new color short tail together. Then when you are ready to weave in the ends, duplicate at least one stitch with your tail yarn before weaving in like normal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
8ball
Visit my blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005 12:03:16 PM »

I am so glad you asked this question.  I am trying to create a fabric with stripes of several different colors.  Although I am doing an even number of rows before I change yarns, I'm carrying along 6 balls of yarn and they are heavy and get all tangled.  Not only that, but when I carry them up from where I last used one to the next time I want to use it, if I pull too tight, the fabric buckles, and if it's too loose, I get this big loop.  Egh.

Carie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

czarina
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005 12:59:20 PM »

8ball -- your name says it all, huh?

If you can, I would snip each of them and weave in the ends. I recently made ticking from Denim Knits, which has a one row stripe every three? four? rows in reverse stockinette. I found that it was just easier to weave in the ends on things than try and carry along the yarn. I got a lot of puckering on the back before I gave in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Dressed and Top Trends at the 2013 Emmys
Choosing a Bra for Busty Heart
Fashion at the 65th Primetime Emmys
How to Choose the Right Bra
Marios Schwab - London Spring 2014 - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...