A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Proven Home Remedies for Craft Injuries - Natural Result of "Crafty But Stupid"  (Read 23888 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2005 02:32:52 PM »

freaking awesome Smiley

I used to just mix a (very small) amount of red dye in with my shampoo, then let it sit in my hair for a few minutes before rinsing.

took the green right out Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
chattyKathi
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2005 01:20:25 PM »

I'm gonna chime in on the bee stings here and tell you my tried and true remedy. MUD! yep, works everytime. We have alot of bee's around here and some one is always getting stung. just mix a little water with dirt,lol , to a paste consistancy and apply it to the sting. if the stinger is still in get that out frist if you can. sometimes you might have to apply the mud twice but I swear it works really good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
mmd32
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2005 01:49:28 AM »

You know, I have heard that superglue was actually invented as a wound closer by the army, for out in the field, before they could get to the triage. If you get a clean cut, as in, an even slice, not raggedy, you can just run a bead of superglue in it to close the edges so it can heal up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2005 08:35:09 AM »

using superglue for wounds is quite common now a days. I have a firend who coached highschool football and basket ball and anyone who was cut got  glued right there on the field or bleachers. It works great too for me as well. I am a cook and if I get cut I use the glue on it instead of wearing a glove on my hand since I'm allergic to latex that seems to be everywhere!   With the glue I can still wash my hands and not worry about a bandaid falling off everytime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2005 10:03:34 AM »

I think they glued my cats when they got "fixed"!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
tomico
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2005 09:35:51 AM »

I have terrible problems with poison ivy every time I garden. A friend of mine, who used to be a landscapist, suggested using latex gloves while gardening because gardening gloves can get really expensive to replace every time they get the juices on them. I've used fresh aloe on the poison ivy but it doesn't seem to work very well. I will say do not cover Poison ivy. You have to let it dry out. I have found going to the pool with all the clorine has helped out in the past.

Although the aloe doesn't seem to help extreem cases of poison ivy, I would recomend keeping the plant around anyway for burns. They are the easiest plant to take care of. Leave in front of a sunny window and forget about it. Water about once a month or when the soil is bone dry. I don't seem to have much of a green thumb in the house. I always forget to water, but I have kept my aloe around  since 1995. I even transplanted a shoot once.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twinkle_toeses
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2005 06:00:08 PM »

If you get just a little bit of hot glue dripped on you, then leave the glue on (once the burn is exposed to air it actually hurts MORE) and put the burn under cold water so that leaving the glue caked on there isn't like, excruciating. Just leave it on untill it falls off. It doesn't help with blisters, but it does with pain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RedAeroGirl
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2005 06:03:36 AM »

This isn't exactly a remedy for an injury, but it sure makes the job go easier...if you are working with spray adhesive, wiping any residue from your fingertips on wax paper will essentially neutralize the stickyness. Cheap, easy, and failsafe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2005 06:34:30 AM »

Oh that's good to know! I hate feeling sticky!! Does that work with oil based paint stickiness??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
gaiter_girl

Hullo, My name is Bear. Grrrrrrrrrr.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2005 06:36:12 AM »

Okay, I'm not a doctor but I've worked on a "first response" team (kinda like paramedics without an ambulance in my small town) for 5 years.  You can decide if you want to follow this advice or not.

DON'T put oily or petroleum based products on burns.  It creates a mini "greenhouse gas effect" in your skin which can actually cause the burn to get worse.  The heat is trying to escape from the burn (out through your skin) but is trapped by the greasy cream or ointment so it just kinda bounces around in there.  I arrived on so many scenes where somebody trying to be helpful had smeared cream/butter/vaseline/etc on a burn and we would take it right off so the heat could dissipate.  For burns, run cool/cold water on it, keep doing this even when the burn doesn't feel warm to the touch since there will still be heat further down.

From an even more personal perspective,  I know not to use ointments as I'm the burn queen.  If a cast iron frypan has been in a 450 degree oven for 40 minutes, I will still manage to pick it up with bare hands, cross half the room before realizing how hot it is and then walk back to the counter to put it down (so as not to break my toes by dropping a cast iron pan on them).  The skin on my palm fused together and I was left with this weird claw-shaped hand until a doctor was able to cut the melted section apart.  That's why I stopped cooking and started crafting...slightly safer.  lol 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My my...aren't we a knotty little girl?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Snake Soup in Hong Kong
Shanghai Hairy Crabs
Making Pearl River Chicken
Kama Sutra Saki Teriyaki Salmon
Great Wall Cookbook Review
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...