A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Proven Home Remedies for Craft Injuries - Natural Result of "Crafty But Stupid"  (Read 23555 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CatyX
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005 02:24:49 PM »

If you ever get a needle stuck in you relax before you pull it out!

I learned this the hard way
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005 02:30:59 PM »

Charming story from the costume shop - I was chatting with one of the women about the industrial machines. She informed me that the difference between a home machine and an industrial one is that the home machines stop at the bone.

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW W!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005 02:49:27 PM »

anyone know anything good for somehow managing to sew your own thumb? it hurts...a lot.

This is probably too late in the day to be of use -- at least I certainly HOPE you are no longer in pain so many hours later -- but...

Lame as it sounds, an ice pack is good.  It reduces the swelling caused when your body first rushes fluids to the wound as part of healing it; which relives pressure on the nerves while also numbing them a bit.

Also, puncture wounds are notorious for not healing well, so the neosporin suggestion is a really good idea.  I have had good results with a salve triple antibiotic -- Brand Aid brand makes one in a gold box.  It doesn't relieve pain, but it does promote healing and prevent infection (and therefore to some extent scarring).  It's what I was given to keep my stitches supple in the hospital as a kid....

Feel better!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
ultimately_his_angel
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005 04:14:08 PM »

=) it feels much better now, one of the guys i work with just got stitches so he had neosporin with pain reliever and let me use some. =)

that is the last time i let my dog sit near my feet while i'm at the machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftmommieof2
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005 12:10:21 PM »

I posted my home remedies the other day and forgot all about the most important one! As crazy as this sounds, I know from experience that it works on any cuts, scraps or burns you get. (we even tried it when my youngest daughter got bit on the foot by a little house dog) Vicks Vapo Rub! The camphor (sp?) in it can heal just about anything and even minimize scarring. You can even put it in your ears to help ease of the pain of an ear infection. Just slap a little on any cuts or burns and cover with a bandaid. Retreat and get a fresh bandage at least once a day and before you know it, its gone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005 03:57:52 PM »

To reduce swelling in an injury, take advil and combine it with an ice pack. Advil (ibuprofen) is an anti inflamatory, and will help. Smiley

It also helps to break a fever and helps with flus and cold (once again an anti inflamatory- the swelling in your.. snot? cavities is reduced, so all the fluids can drain properly.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005 05:12:19 PM »

Oh! Since someone mentioned Bee Stings.......When i was younger I got stung by a bee and my grandfather had me put vinigear on it. It didnt smell so nice but it did take away the sting!

Also, if you happen to cut yourself during crafting and dont want to scar, Vitamin E workes like a charm. You can buy a bottle of the Vitamin E capsules at any drugstore and you just break open the capsule and rub the contents on the scar. You will do this until it heals.

Thats all i have. Sorry!!

Those vitamin E capsules are also great for chapped lips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
basketcase93
Yo soy del unicornio.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2005 06:06:47 PM »

All of these are good ideas. I'll have to book mark this page...Uhhh..I have a crafty band aid idea. My geography teacher never has any band aids, but he always has office supplies. So whenever someone has a cut or something, he makes "homemade band aids". What he does is he has regular tape just the size he needs, a tissue folded a few times and cut into a little rectangle, and puts that liquid germ killing stuff on the tissue and applies the tissue on the piece of tape and onto the cut. It's pretty funny when he does that, but it works. I'm gonna have to try that the next time I get a cut...Or maybe right now.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005 05:39:07 PM by basketcase93 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Bitches get stuff DONE!" - Tina Fey

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." - Salvador Dal
blueworld
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2005 03:20:36 AM »

Not really craft related, but...

For bee stings in the summer: If you have small children, whenever you go to the swimming pool, beach, lake, park, etc, bring a frozen bottle of water or juice. It's nice and cool to drink as it melts, so you don't feel like you're lugging useless first aid supplies. And you can hold the bottle to a bee sting or any other non-bleeding injury to numb it and reduce swelling.

This is a remedy my family discovered by chance that became tradition. Once my family and my grandmother went to have a picnic at a lake. Grandma, being a total coffee addict, brought a jar of frozen coffee to drink. I was about 8 at the time. I was stung twice by a wasp, and we put the frozen coffee in a plastic bag and used it to ice one of the stings. Ever after, when grandma took me and my sister to the swimming pool she always had her jar of frozen coffee, "in case we got stung by a bee."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SeeMe

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2005 10:55:30 AM »

Epsom salts are the best thing ever invented. If you get a cut and it gets infected, get a dishcloth, put some epsom salts in it and get it wet. Not wet enough to dissolve it all, but wet enough to get it wet. Use hot water, slap it on your infected spot and ahhh, it pulls out the grossness.
 My little bee-sting helper? Baking soda. Make a paste with it, slap it around your bee sting area and it'll help. A lot.

And for those of us who end up with Random Bits o' Metal in our hands/feet/whatever... I keep a high powered magnet around. It may hurt some, but it's better than explaining why you've got a bit of a needle sticking outta your hand...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog Wist
Would like to swap for broken (torn) dollar bills! I have an idea and don't want to use "good" money!
"They aleady have a soda like that. It's called Soylent Cola."
"How is it?"
"Eh, varies from person to perso
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Oil Painting For Beginners
Behind The Scenes At Red Bull House Of Art In Detroit
Andy Warhol Drawing Bought For $5 Could Fetch Nearly $2 Million
Service Dog Inspires Artist to Paint With Wheelchair
Local Artist Competition Energizes Texas Art Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...