A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 304,856
Currently Running With Scissors:
706 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Proven Home Remedies for Craft Injuries - Natural Result of "Crafty But Stupid"  (Read 24359 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tomico
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2009 10:22:10 PM »

There are many opinions about wether to use hot water showers or cold water showers for poison ivy. Some schools of thought believe that it is best to use a hot showers to rid your self of the oils as quickly as possible other schools of thought feel that that is dangerous because it may open the pores of your skin and allow the oils deeper access to your skin. It is my opinion that the later is the case.  Since many spas often use steam baths to open the pores of the face and body it would seem that yes the pores do open more in heat than in cold. Since it is probably not ethical to do a double blind test of purposely exposing  1/2 of a test group to poison ivy and then having groups divided into cold and hot showers I believe that it may still be conjecture even for the doctors at this time. I realize this may be going against what you have been told but I was told by a doctor as well. I will also say that it seems that the recommendations tend to change back and forth.

Washing clothes will not open the pores of skin in clothes so yes it would be better to wash them in hot water. I thought that I had said to wash them immediately but I suppose I was not clear enough.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2010 09:03:10 PM »

Anyone heard of "Gripe Water"?  My friends were recommended it for their infant, and I actually am tempted to try it for my own intestinal peace-n-quiet.... ??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2010 11:48:10 AM »

Long story short, I've heard of it and gave it to my infant years ago.  I didn't even know it still existed.  Now I'm gave my grandson something under another name but the "gripe water" saved both of us a lot of grief. It took a few "doses" to start really working though.  I don't know about adults.  Hope that helps.
Just remembered, when the kids were small and had tummy issues, there was a plant in my neighbors garden that I'd just take a "branch" and put into warm water and they drank it.  Tasted pretty good too. Don't know what your issues are but mint water is pretty good too.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010 11:59:39 AM by Jinjeet Phoenix - Reason: flash back » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ink_A_Dink
There's nothing like stepping through the threshold into adventure.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2010 08:41:58 AM »

Someone mentioned icthamol, which is a staple in my house. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any fish in it. i was told it has tar, but as I'm not at home right now, I can't check. But when I get home I will. I have used it for as long as I can remember and it's amazing. It will draw almost anything out: splinters, infection. just put on a dab, cover with a band-aid, and leave for the day, or overnight. Note: if you value your sheets, cover the band-aid with something else (I have a special sock for all my foot injuries). It's messy and stains, but it works. It also goes by the name of Black sab/salve, or Drawing Sab/Salve.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"-Helen Keller

http://www.wists.com/InkSpot
crafty01_87

I make awesome stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2010 01:49:27 PM »

Oh man, I always use super glue on any cuts I get.

YUP! Super Glue is my friend. Did you know it's original purpose was for closing cuts? Good old military first aid.
I have had to use this a couple times for cuts on my hands, b/c I work at a pizza shop, we do not use latex gloves, and we don't want to gross out customers by wearing band aids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is not being afraid to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." -Scott Adams
crafty01_87

I make awesome stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2010 01:53:03 PM »

You know, I have heard that superglue was actually invented as a wound closer by the army, for out in the field, before they could get to the triage. If you get a clean cut, as in, an even slice, not raggedy, you can just run a bead of superglue in it to close the edges so it can heal up.

Aw man, I just (re)posted this fun fact. Guess I should have read the entire thread before replying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is not being afraid to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." -Scott Adams
Demi_Kitten
« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2011 05:28:47 PM »

Even though this has been mentioned before Lavender oil is fantastic on burns. I burned my finger a few months back and once it was cooled down I coated it in lavender oil, it didn't blister and there's no scar.

Comfrey or nitbone, you can get it as an oil in a bottle or the actual plant. If you drop something heavy on your foot and you can't walk but it's not broken put the plant in a basin of hot water and soak your foot, it brings out the bruising and you'll find you can walk again within a few hours. If it's the oil just coat your foot in it and maybe soak a bandage in it and wrap your foot. Same effect but messier. I once dropped my mum's old singer sewing machine (the type in a table) on my knee (the table fell over and the machine came out and whacked me on the knee) I coated my knee in comfrey and kept a soaked bandage on my knee for a few hours. It bruised black and blue but I had no major problems with my knee other than it being sore for a day or two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Athena: Today I was beat in a weaving contest by a mortal, so I threw a little bit of a hissy fit at her, so she hung herself...long story short she's a spider and everyone thinks I'm a bitch. FML
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2011 03:41:10 PM »

Some random bits-
We know the bag of frozen peas makes a good ice pack. Also, those little packs of fast food ketchup? Put a couple in the freezer for tiny ice packs.
Baking soda and water paste, for beestings. Also, for some reason, a paste of water and meat tenderizer works great for stings.
If you're bleeding, and need an emergency bandage-heck, even if you just want to put pressure and stop bleeding and keep it clean while someone is taking you to the doc's-use a sanitary napkin. Think about it. Maxipads are absorbent, and since they're in their own little package, they are sterile bandages! I read this in a book on camping/outdoor survival.
Duct tape for cactus needles and splinters has been mentioned. Something else that works is a thin layer of Elmer's white glue. Let it dry and peel it off. Prickley pear needles are teeny, numerous, and impossible to tweeze out!
Sunburn-soak in a lukewarm tub that you've poured at least a cup of baking soda in the water. It helps take care of some of the redness and pain. Do that every day.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
Crying Goddess
Rocking CraftAngel

Every girl is her own goddess

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2011 08:22:46 PM »

If I get burnt I grab a pack of frozen vegetables. These are absolutely fantastic for any kind of burn. I've used it when I got burned cooking, soldering, and when using my glue gun. Put it on the second you get burnt and you won't have to worry just leave it on there about 5 minutes.
Also for poison ivy (I saw it mentioned) I've heard warm water works best and that's what I've always used when I come in contact with the awful stuff. If your body part that came in contact with the poison ivy itches rub it rather then scratch it (I've heard it helps) until you can wash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quote from: kjlutz
Craftster: Lovingly Breaking up Families in the name of Craft since Challenge 50

Please vote for my Redstone torch for challenge 96:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431999.0#axzz2vJFPpJwN
ashgraykitsune
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2011 05:45:43 PM »

Man, I've used most of these...Didn't see anything about splinting, so I figured I'd throw in my two cents. Have you ever worked with something heavy/unwieldy and ended up with a sprain or dislocation? Popsicle sticks and duct tape make a quick and dirty set of finger splints, and a large hankerchief can act as a sling in a pinch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rustic Floral Arrangements for Easter
DIY Colorful Foiled Eggs for Easter
How to Make Decoupage Eggs
How to Make a Mini Easter Basket
How to Make Decoupage Easter Eggs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...