A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Proven Home Remedies for Craft Injuries - Natural Result of "Crafty But Stupid"  (Read 23887 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2005 09:26:23 AM »

Okay, so I think we need a Craftster's First-Aid Forum here!

We all know we all place our crafts before our own health at some point.  And we all know we would rather spend money on supplies than on unnecessary medical stuff.  And we all KNOW that if we do not take care of our injuries they will eventually impede our ability to continue crafting.

SO: Genuinely useful healing tips go HERE.    Wink

My contribution:

EPSOM SALTS -- if you get unwanted matter stuck in or beneath your skin, soak the area in the hottest water you can stand with as much Epsom salt as will dissolve in the water. The alien matter will work its way to the surface and out!

Source: when my BF got shards of glass in his foot the doctor was very sensible and up-front.  He did not want to do surgery to remove the glass because it is risky to operate on feet -- 1/4th of all the ligaments in the body are in that tiny space, so it's hard to avoid aggravating them.
Prescription?  BF soaked foot morning and night in the hottest water he could stand, with as much Epsom Salt in it as would dissolve.  Worked wonderfully!! Gradually every bit of glass worked it's way to the surface and could be removed by tweezers and a bit of pressure.  I have since met people who have used salts to work wood out of their feet, and one friend who had various shards of ceramic materials taken out of his hands this way.  I, myself, used it just yesterday to get a glass splinter out of my palm!  

Use in Good Health!   Cheesy

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010 09:06:50 PM by PimpernelSmith » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
Inna
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005 10:06:46 AM »

Thanx!!!
Sadly I will need this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drama llama ding dong
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005 11:19:55 PM »

cool idea for a thread! Glad you thought of it.
My tip is for severe burns I got a really bad burn from work and the boss poured a ton of soy sauce on my hand. I  thought he was insane but it hurt too much to argue at the time. It did take some of the redness out and some of the pain was eased. He told me to do it several times that day so I did.
I never got a blister at all or a scar. It really was a bad one that hubby thought I should go to emergency for, He was sure that the hand would blister and be raw but hey this soy sauce did something for me!
I even tried it again on a really bad glue gun burn. I have had several glue gun burns and many of them blistered severly but this one didn't.
Don't have a clue why it worked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MirthFairy
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005 07:23:32 AM »

I have a friend who is a cook who told me about putting egg whites on burns. It really works, but I wouldn't do this on really bad burns.

I am the burn QUEEN! I currently have a fresh burn scar on my arm (from my glue gun) and before this I burned my fingerprint off on my thumb (with my glue gun). I'm a hazard.

Also, don't forget our old friend aloe. Fresh is best, but bottled will work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultimately_his_angel
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005 07:26:40 AM »

anyone know anything good for somehow managing to sew your own thumb? it hurts...a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KariudoMegami
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005 07:30:59 AM »

Yeah, just about the most useful thing for burns is aloe. Also, if you have something that's itching, salt water works well. Either soak it in salt water, or put a little water on, then sprinkle salt over it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MirthFairy
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005 07:32:30 AM »

er... how did you sew it? Was it with hand stich needle or run though with a sewing machine?

Charming story from the costume shop - I was chatting with one of the women about the industrial machines. She informed me that the difference between a home machine and an industrial one is that the home machines stop at the bone. Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005 07:37:49 AM »

Neosporin ointment has saved me from many many scars and probable infections. I am never without it. It even saved my face when I tripped on a curb and split my lips into 4 parts and was too embarrassed to go to the doctor about it. I like the neosporin with the pain reliever in it. It's just a topical, but it takes the sting and burn out of things.

Also a bag of frozen peas or corn is always in the freezer and marked NOT FOR CONSUMPTION. They make the best ice packs because they form around whatever part you need chilled.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftmommieof2
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005 12:54:36 PM »

This thread has been a life saver! LOL Just yesterday my youngest daughter broke a vase in my living room and lucky me stepped on a small piece while trying to clean it up. The glass was still in my foot today until I read the epsom salt trick. Thanks a bunch craftster buddies!

By the way, my grandma always put yellow mustard on my burns as a kid. Takes the pain away quickly and it heals really fast. I've also heard that toothpaste works well too, but have yet to try it. Seems to me like the minty freshness would burn like hell.

And I just have to add this, even though its nothing to do with crafting, but my oldest daughter is bee sting prone and I was told to put dampened tobacco from a cigarette on it. We tried it this year on her first 3 stings and it works really well. They didnt even swell!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
classycrafter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005 02:08:38 PM »

Oh! Since someone mentioned Bee Stings.......When i was younger I got stung by a bee and my grandfather had me put vinigear on it. It didnt smell so nice but it did take away the sting!

Also, if you happen to cut yourself during crafting and dont want to scar, Vitamin E workes like a charm. You can buy a bottle of the Vitamin E capsules at any drugstore and you just break open the capsule and rub the contents on the scar. You will do this until it heals.

Thats all i have. Sorry!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
21 Nights Book Trailer Short Version
Andrew Clements Talks About Nora Rowley Part 1
Meet Joan and Maddy Lambur
Tom Rob Smith Talks About Child 44 Part 1
Run Like a Girl Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...