A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Sha Sha Ribbon Dream Purse  (Read 143928 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

quartney

the seam ripper is my friend.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2006 07:01:02 AM »

Dearest Birgitta/Buglake!

Thanks so much for the kick-ass tute!

I love my purse (and I made one for a crafting swap buddy in the UK).

I made the pink purse exactly according to your directions (substituting 7/8" ribbon, though); from that I could tell what modifications I needed to make for the green purse ... and then I re-did the pink purse Wink

I couldn't find any purse "feet" in the stores, and the office brad was not tall enough to actually protect the bottom of the purse.  So I bought some cheap wooden beads, and some office brads that were 2" long:

Also, the purse straps/handles were too flimsy when only ribbon was used, so I bought some cotton webbing and attached that to the back of the ribbon.  It works perfectly.

Many thanks, Buglake!!!

Q.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006 07:13:03 AM by quartney » THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittyKurl
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2006 07:19:00 PM »

Wow, those are amazingly cute Quartney! I especially love the green & brown one, those are some of my favorite colors! Great job. I was going to make one of these, but couldn't afford all the ribbon, so I made just a regular one instead  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
Fabric Wists
quartney

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2006 07:26:09 AM »

Hey, thanks KittyKurl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
buglake

..ah, my darling Lenore.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2006 08:05:59 AM »

Yeah Quartney!!!  Excellent, excellent job on the purses - from the color choies to the change in ribbon width!  Warning:  you will now eyeball every display of ribbon you walk past now, hoping for a sale sign. 

You mentioned a making a change to your version - is this a change I need to make to the tutorial or a personal preference?  Do tell!

birgitta
buglake
san diego, ca
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.. . . .__     )_
>>>/(o))__/(o)

Riding my Vespa and being creative - the only reasons why I get out of bed at all.
quartney

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2006 08:25:53 AM »

You mentioned a making a change to your version - is this a change I need to make to the tutorial or a personal preference?  Do tell!

BugLake, it was just the changes I mentioned--putting wooden beads on the longer office fasteners, and putting cotton webbing on the back side of the ribbon straps. 

Yep, I've already started combing the ribbon racks.  Although what I did for these purses is find the striped ribbon first, and then I bought the coordinating ribbon for the purse body to match.  I found that it was simply easier to buy the solid-colored ribbon online~
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nineightohone

Don't make me come over there!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2006 08:57:16 PM »

I loved this so much I have been wanting make it for almost a week now.

Made mine yesterday and today.

Here we go!

There's the finished product. I used slightly different colors (our JoAnn's sucks and never has everything in stock). Oddly enough, I had some plaid ribbon that matched PERFECTLY from another project (ribbon belts) and so I decided to stitch that to some white grosgrain ribbon and put it white side out.  I used a white daisy flowery type button for the closure.

You see a little change purse in the pic? It was intended to hold credit cards but it's about 1/3 inch too short to fit them in the opening without force. They fit once they're inside but GRRR. I'm going to have to do something else with it I guess  I had to hand stitch in the zipper in because it was too small to fit into the machine. I sandwiched the zipper between the outer and lining fabric and just stiched back and forth. I'm considering using the other flower button to tie on the zipper as a pull.

By the way, here's a pic of the outer and inner fabrics together so you can see the lining.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.~

Please come see my Etsy shop! www.notjustpurses.e tsy.com Thanks Smiley
mireneh

working like a dog?!?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2006 09:17:26 PM »

very cute!  I have the pattern from the other bag tutorial you posted and have yet to make the bag - even have the fabric!  I'll have to try this - my (now) 5 year old niece is always looking for crafts to do when I go over and she'd probably love the weaving part of it!  I'll probably use wider ribbons for her, but she'd get a kick out of carrying a bag "she" made!  Thank you so much for posting this and if we ever get it done, I'll post of pic of her with her bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support your local animal shelters and be a responsible pet owner by spaying or neutering your pet.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is waaaay more than being tired - imagine having the flu every day, quadruple that, and that's me on a good day!  No, I did not stay up too late last night either.....
mireneh

working like a dog?!?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2006 09:23:37 PM »

But I have to add that my favorite part of your tutorial was the pics that included a beer - because I do the exact same thing!  It's my favorite part of sewing.  Put Toddler to bed, and pull up a beer to my sewing machine!!

Too funny!  I didn't even notice the beer in the pics - good eye!   Hmmmmm, I have some wine up here somewhere, where did I put the corkscrew?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support your local animal shelters and be a responsible pet owner by spaying or neutering your pet.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is waaaay more than being tired - imagine having the flu every day, quadruple that, and that's me on a good day!  No, I did not stay up too late last night either.....
buglake

..ah, my darling Lenore.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2006 08:36:25 AM »

I loved this so much I have been wanting make it for almost a week now.

Made mine yesterday and today.

Yeah yeah!!!  I'm loving it!  (and feelin' ya' on Joann's not being stocked well.  I found some bitchen ribbon at Michaels yesterday, but actually <gasp!> exercised will-power and did not buy it.  Too many projects in the works.)

Great to see the tutorial work out for someone else, too.  Note that I do drink while crafting and cannot guarantee the accuracy of anything I may claim. 

Nineightohone:  do the happy craft dance and show off your __________<insert your name here> Sha Sha Dream Bag!  Be prepared for many compliments!

mireneh:  Best of luck with your niece's __________ <insert her name here> Sha Sha Dream Bag!  Post pics when you're done, purdy please.

birgitta
buglake
san diego, ca
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.. . . .__     )_
>>>/(o))__/(o)

Riding my Vespa and being creative - the only reasons why I get out of bed at all.
McJulie-O
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2006 06:47:14 AM »

These latest are wonderful! I have GOT to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Isabel Marant Collection Hits H&M
Spring Trend Report: The Versatile Polo Shirt
GQ Fashion: Nouveau Garage
Aitor Throup: New Object Research 2013
Kai Lenny Style Challenge: The Suit Fitting
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...