A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Sha Sha Ribbon Dream Purse  (Read 143860 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

buglake

..ah, my darling Lenore.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 22, 2005 02:30:04 PM »

The tutorial is nearly the same as the fabric Sha Sha Dream Bag I posted here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=54769.0

Sha Sha Ribbon Dream Purse

While pattern dimensions where changed to enlarge final purse size, this project was inspired by the Holly Golightly Dream Bag project in Retro Revamp by Jennifer Knapp.  Mad props, Jennifer.

SUPPLY LIST:
2 spools each of 5 colors of 3/8" ribbon.  (mine: trip to Joann's. Offray Ribbon sold by the spool x 18 feet each, $1.99: lavender, moss green, burnt orange; burgundy; dusty blue)
1 1/2 yd. 1 " ribbon for long handle
One fat quarter for Lining
1/2 yd Medium weight iron on interfacing (buy it off the bolt for cheap)
Pattern
large piece of cardboard to create weave on, double sided tape

OPTIONAL:
Item for closure hook & eye; button & loop (I used a glass lampwork bead I made); snaps; etc
Light cardboard
4 brass office brads, or eyelets, etc

OPEN A BEER AND GET STARTED:

Here is are the pattern dimentions:

• Put 5 spools of ribbon on the handle of a wooden spoon and cut 19" lengths of ribbon
GET WEAVIN'!
  • On your cardboard, place a strip of double sided tape 20" across the top.  Place second strips down each side to hold horizontal ribbon in place.
  • KEY SUGGESTION: If there is a shiny side/outside of the ribbon, create this weave facedown.  So that when it's ready, you can iron on the interfacing on the WRONG side without having to take it off the cardboard!
  • Line ribbon verticaly up across the top, about 19" across. 
    Line them up very closely, but not overlapping at all.

• Start weaving under-over-under-over, carefully pushing your ribbons up and tight againt it's neighbor.  You will have to do a lot of adjusting all through this weave...so don't be too anal right off the bat.

• Unfold your iron on interfacing and hack out a rectangle the size of your pattern.  Following the instructions of the manufacturer, iron-on apply interfacing to the WRONG SIDE (lacking manufacturers instructions: place shiny side of interfacing face down on wrong side of fabric; beginning in the middle, iron outwards holding iron in place for 10 seconds side to side.  Ironing more does not make it stick better.).  TRY TO AVOID IRONING OVER the TAPE UNDER THE RIBBON.  This "Outside" is now strong and you can carefully peeeeeeeeeel it from the cardboard tape.

• Unfold your Fat Quarter and iron it out.  The rest of the instructions will refer to the Outside and Lining fabric in this way.

• If you have good scissors, you can save a bunch of time by sandwiching your Lining onto the interfacing-applied Outside fabric, iron them nice and flat together, and then pin on the pattern & cut it out.  This is only if you have good scissors!  Otherwise, the cuts come out all jagged and crap it makes you suicidal.  Ok, it would make me suicidal.  If you have shat scissors, then cut the Outside and Lining separately from the same pattern
    • Fold and pin right side flappies together.

• Ok, take the Outside fabric and fold it together (right sides facing), longer straight edges lined up (the purse mouth).  Pin the flappy edges together, and sew as shown.  Again, seam allowance is built in at inch. 

• Using a squooshing motion (and sound effect), smash newly sewn edges flat against the bottom opening.  This will be referred to as the purse ass end.  Pin.  Repeat on other side.  Sew a straight line, again allowing inch.  Remove pins.

• Repeat the 3 steps above on the Lining piece of fabric also sewing right sides together.  You may wish to make the seam allowance just a touch wider, making the lining just snuggly smaller than the Outside bag. Just increase your seam line by 1 or 2 16ths of an inch.  (so thats 3/8ths, right?).

• Turn Outside fabric outside in (or the right way).  Poke out the corners sharply and check out your handy work.  Its gonna be cute, huh?? Leave the lining fabric wrong side out.

• CARDBOARD SUPPORTED BOTTOM.  Id prefer a sugar daddy supported bottom so I could be crafting all the time, but we all have to make due with what were given.  Either tape together the light cardboard pieces that came packaged with your Fat Quarters, or locate a light weight cardboard that will support the dimensions of about of 4 x 8 inches.  Id recommend sealing the entire cardboard in a wrap of packing or duct tape for waterproof-ness.  I have been pack ratting away these lightweight cardboard backings that come with packs of fingerprint cards at work they fit perfectly!  I knew I was packing them away for a good use! 

• Poke holes in each bottom corner (not too close to the edge) through the fabric and cardboard and insert brass office brads (or use a nifty eyelet setter or other wildly imaginative idea you may have).  Bend back the tines of the brad.  [mental note: Dont show co-workers purse bottom, for fear they may recognize office brads.

• Test sizing by shoving Lining (still wrong side out) into your purse carcass.  Poke your fingers into the corners and see if it feels like a good fit.  You can correct a Lining-too-big problem by yanking it back out and sewing a tiny bit more on each ass end.  Remember that you want your lining inside the bag to be shorter at the mouth by a little bit, so eyeball how much you should fold over for the next step: 
    • Fold over about a inch of the top of the Lining piece and pin down, iron.  Fold in about inch (or more, depending on your opinion) from the Outside fabric to match pin the Lining around inside the mouth.

• Me hard at work.  I craft so much, my husband is nearly a widower!

• Decide what you want for handles.  You can buy those plastic pre-made handles at Michaels & Joanns which are pretty cool too.  I used 1 inch ribbin.  Pin it in between the lining and outside.
    • My machine has this end piece that is removable so I can sew tight, round things.  Take that end thingy off now.  Also, if possible, slide your machine so that it hangs over the end of the table.  This will make turning your cardboard supported bag easier

• With an exposed stitch, sew once all the around the mouth of the bag, capturing the Outside, Lining and handles all at onceand VOILA!!!  You have a Sha Sha Dream Bag!

• Here was my closure:  a lampwork glass bead I made and a piece of the 3/8" ribbon.

AND YOU ARE DONE!!!
So, tell me what you think, and please post pictures of your finished bags! 

buglake
birgitta
san diego

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009 11:35:27 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

.. . . .__     )_
>>>/(o))__/(o)

Riding my Vespa and being creative - the only reasons why I get out of bed at all.
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005 02:36:39 PM »

That is so awesome....if i try it i will definitely post pix!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005 04:52:43 PM »

Wow, this is so cool!  Looks like it takes a lot of time but you made it look really easy.  Thanks for posting the tute.  I'm gonna have to try this out now.

BTW, your hair is really cute!  I miss short hair until I cut mine and then I miss long hair.  I hate being indecisive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
GreatBallofFire
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005 05:19:11 PM »

I've never felt so stupid in my life! I tried to make a woven ribbon bag once for a big theatre event I went to. The night before I was cursing every sewing implement known to man. I never thought of interfacing! It holds is all in place! You should get an award! Maybe I'll attempt making one again for the round of holiday parties and events this season. Thanks for the tut. I love the bags. The shape is PERFECT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Knitting Journal
www.sticksnloans.bl ogger.com
Lethargic
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005 05:47:21 PM »

wow that is gorgeous!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop for aprons, bento/lunch bags, jewelry, and more! http://organizedconfetti.etsy.com
janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

Everything happens for a reason.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005 05:57:26 PM »

Thanks for posting the tute and for letting me know it was up here by messaging me.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005 08:47:46 PM »

WONDERFUL! The Perfect Accessory! And you explained it so even I can imagine completing it with success!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheEverFalling

Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005 09:01:53 AM »

Wow, that is beautiful! I'm going to have to go buy bunches of ribbon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That doesn't make sense to me. But then again, you are very small."~Treebeard
olenka

if i can't dance, i don't want your revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005 09:23:38 AM »

Oh my I found that tutorial write on time. I hav couple rolls of different ribbons that are in pastels (so not really  my style) I was wondering what can be done with them and that is a great idea. Thanks a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Calli
<3

Your the one.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005 09:28:51 AM »

That is so cute.

I am so making one.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Lily
How to Create a Realistic Eye Drawing
How to Do the Graffiti Letter K
How to Do the Graffiti Letter N
How to Do the Graffiti Letter H
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...