A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: first felt beads please re-read  (Read 2097 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlenecy
« on: October 21, 2005 01:05:16 PM »

Okay, so now that I'm over my hurt feelings of no one commenting on this post... Could someone tell me how to make the beads better? ie more round shape... I realize that they weren't perfect- and I am a beginner but some tips would be appreciated.

Thanks  Grin

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/missnecy/bracelet.jpg
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010 09:03:10 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
GraceOblivious
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005 10:35:07 AM »

Hi littlenecy,  did you originally post them here(in felting area)?  If so, I sure missed them.  Of course did not include "oblivious" as part of my avatar for nothing  Grin

From what is shown, looks like a pretty bracelet and cool beads.  Great work on a first felting process.

Before we can help, need to know if the beads were needle felted or wet felted?  Did you use the tute by lise on this board? or some other method?   Also if you could either crop the photo or get a closer view it might be helpful so anyone giving suggestions can see the work more closely.

Will say that in general, hand felted - either needle or wet - expect some irregularity; part of the beauty of hand made is the aysmetry the individuality of pieces. 

PS.  went back as your screen name was not familiar to me, and sure enough you haven't before posted here in felting.  So Welcome to the felting area.  did you find us yourself or did your post magically get moved?  Sometimes the elves do that Wink  At any rate, glad you arrived - there are a number of us who frequent the felting area and love to talk felting.  Happy to have another felter.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005 10:44:59 AM by GraceOblivious » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
goatgoddess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005 01:08:01 PM »

Well I think they are nice - love them just the way they are <G>
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlenecy
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005 08:45:21 AM »

Hi littlenecy,  did you originally post them here(in felting area)?  If so, I sure missed them.  Of course did not include "oblivious" as part of my avatar for nothing  Grin

From what is shown, looks like a pretty bracelet and cool beads.  Great work on a first felting process.

Before we can help, need to know if the beads were needle felted or wet felted?  Did you use the tute by lise on this board? or some other method?   Also if you could either crop the photo or get a closer view it might be helpful so anyone giving suggestions can see the work more closely.

Will say that in general, hand felted - either needle or wet - expect some irregularity; part of the beauty of hand made is the aysmetry the individuality of pieces. 

PS.  went back as your screen name was not familiar to me, and sure enough you haven't before posted here in felting.  So Welcome to the felting area.  did you find us yourself or did your post magically get moved?  Sometimes the elves do that Wink  At any rate, glad you arrived - there are a number of us who frequent the felting area and love to talk felting.  Happy to have another felter.

Thanks, GraceOblivious -and Goatgoddess for your remarks Smiley I thought I had posted in here, but I guess not... Oh well!

I am glad to hear that irregularities are normal when felting (it seems to add to the charm of the beads...) I have always been interested in felting, and then read Lise's tutorial & knew that I had to try! I am not the patient type, and have no wool roving in the house. But I do have some green wool [pure] yarn. So, I wound it into little balls and tried my hand at wet felting the little balls. They didn't work so hot the first time around... But, I'm not one to give up -especially when I want to try something out. So I took my yarn and pulled it apart and ran my fingernails down it to fluff up the fibres. Wound it up into looser balls & felted. They worked much better the second time around. [Sorry the picture's so bad, my camera is 1.3 mp]

I love the idea of making jewelry with felt beads. But I'd also like to get my hands on some roving and try making felted bowls to place around the house. And I also read some posts on needle felting and would like to try that, too. (I put needle felting kit on my Christmas Wish List) However, I think I'm going to have to get through Christmas first! Grin

If you've managed to read this far,thanks fo reading!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GraceOblivious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005 05:09:50 PM »

Hi littlenecy, Wow you are committed - to destruct yarn to get that much roving.  Amazing.  You Go Girl!! 

Truth to tell,  the closest place to me that sells roving that felts (can get superwash locally) is 2 hours away.  I just got a "bag of felter's candy" and some needles from Mielke's on-line, and started poking away.  One can get lots more supplies that way.  Most online fiber supply sites have some sort of sampler package. Though some folks do prefer to start out with a kit, I'm just too cheap.

Keep on having fun with fiber!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
CraftyZary
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005 08:58:07 AM »

Litlenecy -- your bracelet is lovely!  Don't worry about the beads not being too perfectly round, some 'irregularities' are pretty normal from handmade felt beads (or handmade whatever) and are part of the magic of it  Smiley

But if you really need to have perfectly round beads, it is absolutely possible and very easy: You just need to use a wooden bead as a 'core' and to felt around it ---works only with wet felting.  The process is very simple: just arrange the roving around the bead the same way you would do it if there was no bead and felt it with the hot water and soap. The result will be a perfectly round bead BUT it will not be as soft and lightweighted as the beads made only from wool. I actually prefer the beads made from wool even if they are not too round because I love the softness and puffiness of them, but if you need them to be perfect round, this is a good way. Hope it was some help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005 04:04:26 AM »

Hi littlenecy,

Sorry I missed your post.
As has been said, don't worry if it's a little irregular.
In my opinion thats part of the beauty of handmade items.
If you are truly stuck for a needle felting kit, I'd be happy to do a swap with you  Smiley

But if you really need to have perfectly round beads, it is absolutely possible and very easy: You just need to use a wooden bead as a 'core' and to felt around it ---works only with wet felting.  The process is very simple: just arrange the roving around the bead the same way you would do it if there was no bead and felt it with the hot water and soap. The result will be a perfectly round bead BUT it will not be as soft and lightweighted as the beads made only from wool. I actually prefer the beads made from wool even if they are not too round because I love the softness and puffiness of them, but if you need them to be perfect round, this is a good way. Hope it was some help!

Oh I find this technique so difficult! I find as I felt onto the bead, as the fibre shrinks it slips off the bead.
With a lot of care and patience I can make it work, but it's definately not my strength!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillademille
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005 05:12:15 PM »

I needlefelt the beads into a rough sphere shape, then wet felt them with my hands.  I get a really dense, almost perfect ball this way.  I stick a pin through the center as they dry, or else it's hard to get wire through them later.  Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The rug really tied the room together. . .
Jane Doe

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005 05:39:18 PM »

the pin through the centre when drying idea sounds very useful.
I always have to ask for male help when threading the felt beads onto anything thicker than thread.
Thanks for the tip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlenecy
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005 09:51:05 AM »

Thanks everyone on your comments - and your tips! Especially the idea of putting a pin in the bead...

I found a small needle felting kit on EBay this morning, so will see if that works out in my favor...

I am so looking forward to learning more about felting! I think my favorite thing about the wet felting was 'playing' in the warm water- it's kind of soothing on a chilly day! [And it means I'm not washing dishes Wink]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style the Three-Step Fun and Flirty Ponytail
How to Master a Bouncy Bob
How to Wake Up With a New Hairdo!
9 Products Your Hair Will Thank You For
The Selfie Brush Claims to Perfect Your Selfies
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...