A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 304,879
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafster Dilemma  (Read 2102 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlenecy
« on: October 21, 2005 10:31:41 AM »

I looove Crafster - like everyone else! And I get so inspired by all the neat-o things I see here... But, my dilemma is: Is it okay to make a copy of something  & post the results?

I've made a couple of Crafster things, but haven't posted because I can't get past that idea of "copying is bad." (I think school was super pounded into my head)

I would never sell anything I make, but I do like to give it away as gifts...

Do you post? What are your thoughts on this? Am I the only one that feels this way? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005 10:34:24 AM »

The whole point of sharing with those of us on Craftster is to spread the ideas.  I think a good majority of people here (if not all) would agree with that, and probably be quite flattered you decided to try something they made.

As long as you're not claiming it as your own creation (as in "I totally made this thing up all by myself"), or selling it as a "unique" item, I see nothing wrong.

Anyone else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005 10:36:26 AM »

I totally agree with sammyb.
Gr,
BeaG
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hugs-n-bugs
I'm better than Martha, well almost.

Have glue gun, will travel...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005 10:36:49 AM »

I don't see it as a problem.  I think it is flattering if someone copies my work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for fellow craftsters to share ideas with!
http://www.myspace.com/giggles1100
minouette
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005 12:43:49 PM »

I think most people enjoy the inspiration of seeing things posted here. I think it's fine to make things others invented (especially when they post a tute) and post the results. I would either post my version of a craft on the same thread or include a link to the original. Some people on the other hand seem to worry about people "copying" (reinterpreting is probably a better word) their ideas. If the original post included threats to others not to copy, then maybe you don't want to post your version (but I don't think that should stop you from reinterpreting an idea if so inclined, especially if done for gifts, not for profit). That's how culture works. It's only plagiarism if you dishonestly claim ideas as your own. So go for it! Post away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
SparkleHorse
The Green Fairy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005 12:51:12 PM »

i know what you mean, littlenecy...  i have been totally inspired by so much of what i see on craftster, but i've also read through threads where people got mighty sore about someone else "copying" or "borrowing" (or whatever) their projects.  i think what minouette says makes sense though - if the original poster asks people not to copy for whatever reason, it seems respectful not to copy (or at least not post it...)  though i can't help feeling that craftster is about sharing and swapping ideas, so by posting here, you're sort of agreeing to some degree to share your work or techniques. and that by posting you might as well expect to get a "copycat" or two.... know what i mean? personally, i would be tickled pink if somebody took one of my ideas and put her/his own spin on it. it's the craftster, way, isn't it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But why don't you scream now?" Alice asked, holding her hands ready to put over her ears again.

"Why, I've done all the screaming already," said the Queen. "What would be the good of having it all over again?"
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005 01:09:07 PM »

as long as you give credit, its okay
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
kousagi
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005 01:35:41 PM »

I pretty much agree with the above posters, craftsters a great sharing environment. When people put their stuff out there it's flattering to know it's liked and inspiring.  Smiley

So long as you're not selling the stuff and you give credit where it's due when you post and when some big design house happens to see one of the gifts and approaches you... it happens... so I hear  Smiley

The soreness Sparklehorse spoke of (and cool username by the way I love that band!) might come when people don't give credit or when they never post their own work only copies of other people (I'm saying this well aware that I've not been on Craftster long and haven't posted projects yet) or even worse when they just post to say they made a copy and sold it. Sad

I see copying and reinterpreting as seperate things for example (and this is an opinion and not comprehensive) if lots of people make a bag from the exact same pattern just with different materials that's not really copying because they are going to look roughly the same and most patterns are already established.
However if the original poster made a unique pattern then the others will be copies
Unless each person changed not only the fabric but some fundamental parts of the design like if they found a way to make it out of beads and not fabric or if they changed how it closes and gave it functions it didn't have before like pockets
those to me are reinterpretations.

I've been burned (and still being burned I'm very lucky a good lawyer wanted to do work in the intellecutal property area otherwise I could never afford her) so I'm wary but I appreciate if you just lock down all your ideas they pretty much stop coming, much better to have an environment like Craftster to bounce them around in.

If something really inspires you and the poster lives in the US and you live in South Africa there's always the option of starting a business relationship of a kind with them in that you have two markets so there's the possibility of 'royalties' paid back to the originator of the idea but I'm getting way ahead there Smiley

And if someone posts with a warning not to copy I'd stick to that and really it's your own personal code on that, some people would and some people wouldn't.

I think if in doubt just ask the person who showed the first one if they'd be happy with you posting your version.

Phew I rambled on  Cheesy There is another thread similar to this discussion but I can't find a link to it at the moment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Once upon a time...
littlenecy
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005 12:17:50 PM »

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my post - I most definitely appreciated all your well-thought out input... there were some great words of wisdom there - not just for myself, but all crafsters!

Thanks for taking the time to read & respond to my post!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amerigirl05
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006 08:02:24 PM »

Ok, so this is an old post BUT...
Say someone posts a project in a thread.
Say another person "reinterprets" said project.
Person 2 posts their project in the same thread, with a "not my design" disclaimer, but with NO mention that a nearly identical project was previously posted! In the same thread! And person 2 gets compliments from others!
Person 1 feels that saying something would be mean. So person 1 stays silent, sad, and frustrated.

Whew. Ok, I'm good now. Just give credit where credit is due.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
William Hitchcock Talks About The Bitter Road to Freedom
Michael Bobelian Talks About Children of Armenia
M.T. Anderson Reveals
Stacy Johnson Talks About Life or Debt 2010
Erin Downing Wishes She Had This Talent
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...