A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Possibly moving to Savannah  (Read 1975 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kousagi
« on: October 20, 2005 11:59:18 PM »

Hi

The subject pretty much says it Smiley and I was wondering if you guys had any advice about good/crafty areas to live.

I might be going to SCAD, do many of you go and what do you think of it?
How are they about helping you find employment/experience during and after your course. I'd most likely be doing a masters course and as I'm from the UK it's going to be a nightmare to afford.

I may or may not be strictly allowed to work  Roll Eyes (how do official people expect you to eat ? sheesh) so if anyone has any input on the job situation there that would also be cool.

Thanks  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Once upon a time...
babyland
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005 04:56:25 PM »

I am thinking about going to school there 2. The town is so cool and your like minutes away from the beach. Their are a bunch of jobs they offer. Savannah now has classes with the Atlanta art school 2. The name just left me??? I don't know if i can even afford that school it's like 40,000 yr. Well bewared if you sell your art threw the school they take 30% of what u make:I have heard.
For that much money them better find employment for students. Their is so much history, about the town. I have been there like 4 times and it never gets old. I hear they have a lot of foreign students too. Check out the pic. i took on the this thread.
Good luck  Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!!<br />Art is born in attention. Its midwife is detail.<br />CARPE DIEM!!!!!
meowari
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005 08:24:47 PM »

Don't go there!!! I used to live in Savannah, and everyone I know who went there says it was the biggest ripoff! Instead of SCAD, they call it SCAM. I heard that they lost their accreditation ( I know that's spelled wrong) for some things, but I don't know if that's true. I do know that it is insanely expensive and they raise their tuition all the time. Savannah is a great place to visit, but it sucks to live there. I think it's more humid than Florida! The landlords charge an arm and a leg for any of the apartments downtown, too, because of the school. When we were looking for a place, a lot of the people said they don't rent to students, so lie if you do move there. We wound up moving to the southside, by Oglethorpe mall. There are (were) a lot of apartment complexes out that way, but if you don't have a car, it might be too far. I don't remember them having a particularly good public transit program. What do you want to study? I moved here from Richmond, VA, and Virginia Commonwealth University had a pretty good Fashion Design program, from what I've heard. Check out some more schools if you can, and if you do end up going to SCAD, make sure you get all you can from them. Like, I think you can retake classes for free if you feel that you didn't get everything you felt you should have out of it the first time, or at least you used to be able to. And they had pretty good computer labs and stuff like that. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babyland
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005 10:14:02 AM »

Thank you that total changed my mind on SCAD. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!!<br />Art is born in attention. Its midwife is detail.<br />CARPE DIEM!!!!!
meowari
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005 07:48:44 PM »

I kind of feel bad about what I said, because it makes SCAD seem worse than hell. But I seriously don't know one person who went there that would do it again. SCAD started off being a cool little art school, , but I think they got greedy, and the school has gone way downhill since the 80's and early 90's.

I went on the tour and got accepted and everything, but then I found out I didn't have the financial aide to go that they told me I did. They were going to wait until after I had paid my NON-REFUNDABLE tuition deposit and matriculation fee before they were going to tell me, though. Fortunately, I had some questions, and my financial aide person wasn't available, so I talked to the admissions officer instead. After looking at my file, she told me not to pay any fees and that she didn't know why financial aide hadn't told me, but there was no way I could afford to go. So that kind of pissed me off, but I was going to have residency soon and I was going to try again, until I started meeting people who had gone, and not one of them had anything good to say about it. I'm sure a lot of people loved going there, I just didn't meet any of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gurlzcanrock2

Photography echoes life.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005 03:50:21 PM »

I thought I might weigh in on this topic. I'm in my first year at SCAD and I have no idea why people put it down so much. I mean, that's their opinion, but mine is totally different.
So sure, SCAD is expensive, but I'm only in my first quarter here and I've already learned more about art and it's creation than I learned in my entire four years of high school. The classes are incredible, and so are the professors. I came from a middle class family, and I'm here with the help of a scholarship and financial aid, but from my experience here, it's worth it. If you're serious about studying art and learning not only technical aspects of the creation of art but the history and meaning behind it, then you should try to come here.
About the city, it's gorgeous down here. It's November, and it's still sunny and warm. If you like cold weather, than you might not be comfortable down here. It is humid, but it's not overwhelmingly humid year round. All my family is from here, so I've been practically raised down here, and I feel more at home here than anywhere else. The downtown apartments are not really that expensive if you do some looking. It's always better to find a roomate and split the costs, but I've seen one-person apartments downtown for $400 a month including utilities, so housing isn't that bad. The crime can become a problem. I've had some friends get mugged in the past couple of months, but if you're careful and have common sense (don't walk alone at night), then you should be fine. I haven't had any problems with the crime, and before SCAD came here, the crime downtown was tons worse. You could go down some streets and it would look like a war zone.
But overall, I couldn't think of a better place for an artist to flourish than Savannah, even if they are opposed to SCAD.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Did I post something you might want to buy? Check out my etsy shop! www.gchorddesigns.e tsy.com
kousagi
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005 05:16:49 PM »

Hi

Thanks everyone for the varying input Smiley

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the move will be happening anymore Sad

At least not for a few years but it was really cool of you all to give me the insider views.

Thanks again  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Once upon a time...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photoshop Selective Colorization NewDarkRoom
How to make hair selection in Photoshop
A Funeral for Blue Eye
Filming and Editing Tech Videos
Tips for Conducting an Interview
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...