A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,656
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: big ruffles on dress help!  (Read 1506 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SillyLittleSquirrels

Coco says: Adopt a dog from your local shelter!

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2005 10:45:41 PM »

http://gallery.mail2fans.com/gallery/zoom/5388.jpg
I am trying to make a similiarish dress to this. I bought a dress at the salvation army which i fitted, and I bought cloth and the thingy... you no... (i totally no what I'm talking about!) what tutus are made out of? Ya that. Any ideas how i should make it? My dad was thinking to sew the two cloths together then ruffle it, but are there any other ideas? Any patterns I could follow? Any help would be great! Thanks!
PS sorry for the pic which doesn't show the whole dress. If you watch the What are you waiting for Music Video by Gwen stefani you can get an idea.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011 08:24:06 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

And those seen dancing were thought insane by those that could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005 11:44:03 PM »

tutus are usually made out of layers and layers and layers of tulle. That's not what that is.

my guess is that you'd need a reasonably heavy fabric and some thick interfacing to get that effect.

I don't know exactly how helpful that is, but I'll do my best
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
godiva
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005 02:48:23 AM »

here is a website that uses tulle for kids costumes --  it is just gathered tulle with elastic in the waist. dont know if that will help, i hope it will.  www.prissypoofs.com   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicegirl512
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005 06:34:17 AM »

You might get tulle to stick out that much, but it's definitely not going to give the same effect.  For that you need a heavy satin, super heavy interfacing, and probably wire and polyfill.

Your fabric will start as two long rectangles.
Iron in your heavy interfacing to both rectangles (I bought some called "craftbond" at Joann).  The heavy interfacing doesn't stay fused very well, so zig zag around your edges to keep it in place.
Sew the rectangles together at one of the long edges; this will be your hem.
Set your pleats. those look like maybe three inch pleats spaced two inches apart (fold three inches of fabric over and pin; then measure two inches from the fold and start your next three inches).
Iron your pleats once they're pinned, then baste across the top of your fabric about half an inch from the edge to keep your pleats.
Attach your ruffle to the skirt of your dress with pins, and see what kind of flare effect you get.  If you're not getting enough flare experiment with either filling the ruffle with some polyfill, or sewing in channels (double fold bias tape is an easy, but somewhat expensive, way to do this) and inserting 20 ga craft wire or 18 ga coated telephone wire from the hardware store (either of these options will require you to undo your basting).  If you go with wire, it's going to have to extend several inches beyond the upper edge of the ruffle and into the dress, so you'll have to add channels in the dress as well.  I'm trying to think of a method using boning, which is better for fabric than wire because it's not poky (coil both ends of your wire so it doesn't poke through), but I can't think of a way to use boning to make a skirt stick out. 
Rebaste the pleats.
Once you have accomplished your desired level of flare, sew in the skirt.  If you used wire, be careful when sewing over the wire as it could break your needle.

This will not be an easy effect to accomplish.  A tulle tutu will be much easier, but won't look anything like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an Etsy Shop for my jewelry!
qazicat
Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005 12:33:49 PM »

I am a very experience seamstress and I have been sewing for a really long time.  I have been looking at the photo and I don't think rectangles of fabric will make a ruffle like that.  It is more likely circles of fabric as there is no gathering  where the ruffle joins onto the dress.  It is hard to tell from the photo but it looks like there may be at least 4 circles making up that one ruffle. 

To make the ruffle you would need 4 circles of fabric cut like a circle skirt, except that you would cut through the circle as i have drawn in my diagram. This will become the seam to join to the next circle. The circumference of the inner circle would be one quarter of the length where the ruffle joins the skirt plus seam allowances.

It also looks like that the ruffle is fully lined.  I would use iron on interfacing on both my ruffle and the lining to give the stiffness that it requires.  Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like there is more than on ruffle.

You are going to need a lot of fabric to accomplish this.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005 12:36:51 PM by qazicat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
SillyLittleSquirrels

Coco says: Adopt a dog from your local shelter!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005 01:47:14 PM »

thank you guys, i'll see what i can do. It doesn't have to look the same and I already bought fabric and tulle. I bought 4 yards of each, and its about a yard wide. I'm not intending to make the cloth 'fold' over like it does on this costume (you actually can't tell) as long as it sticks out I think I'm happy. Though I am sorta helplessy lost with this costume. Anyways, this really helps out a lot!  Smiley Thx again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And those seen dancing were thought insane by those that could not hear the music. ~Nietzsche
nicegirl512
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005 09:44:52 AM »

If you just want it to stick out and don't need the pleats, your life will be much easier.  Make as big a circle as you can out of your fabric (easiest to fold your fabric into quarters and cut out as a quarter circle--there are tons of tutes on making a circle skirt on the clothing board); cut a hole out of the center as big as the opening on the dress; sew in place.  Easy.  If you have enough fabric, I'd suggest making two circles and lining one of them with heavy interfacing; sew together around the bottom (right sides together) and then attach to the dress as one piece.  This will give it more body and make it stick out more uniformly with the tulle.

Then build up your layers of tulle onto a piece of elastic for the waistband until it's as floofy as you can get it to be and wear underneath as a crinoline.  It won't stick out completely horizontally, but you can get a pretty good floof going.  I did that last year, in this pic you can see how far I got the skirt to stick out with a tulle crinoline; I think this was 8 layers of tulle, maybe more.  http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nicegirl512/detail?.dir=a236&.dnm=49e6.jpg&.src=ph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an Etsy Shop for my jewelry!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie
Magical Miniatures

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...