A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,892
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Velvet vest from hell. HELP!  (Read 506 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Frew-Frew
Caution: Eye Irritant

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2005 07:55:54 PM »

I'm in the process of putting together my daughters halloween Costume. I'm making it from simplicity pattern 5357 http://www.simplicity.com/assets/5357/5357.jpg  I'm doing the one on the bottom right.

Anyways, here is the issue. Part of the fabric I am using is Red velvet that has been washed to look crushed that I am recycling from some old curtains of my moms. I'm trying to put the vest together with a velvet front and a nice silky cotton for lining. Whenever I try to sew the front to the lining, the velvet slips and moves so much I can't get the pieces to line up. I've pinned, Basted, Changing presser feet. Even tried the walking foot, and nothing is working. I'm tired of picking this thing apart. Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chuck Norris does not knit. He bangs the table, and the shockwaves force the yarn to create clothing.

http://frousworld.blogspot.com/
erikau
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005 08:25:19 PM »

Relax.  Take a deep breath.  Remember, it's a Halloween costume for a child.  She will think it's perfect, even if you don't. 

Have you tried making the cotton lining vest and the velvet top vest separately, then handsewing them together?  That might make it easier to control the slippage.  Or if the velvet is soft enough, skip the lining and use seam binding or hem lace to finish the edges. 

It looks like a cute pattern.  Is she going as the Arabian Princess or the Gypsy?

Good luck.

Erika
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erikau
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005 08:27:06 PM »

Oops.  Gypsy it is.  Missed that the first time.

erika
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Frew-Frew
Caution: Eye Irritant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005 09:02:50 PM »

LOL, Taking a deep breath is the best suggestion I've had so far.  Grin

We're going to turn her into a sort of a Gothic Genie. Black Crepe, red Velvet and silver lame. I've left the vest for the evening. Tomorrow, i'm going to try serging the two pieces together And then sew it. Then I can trim the serged edges before I turn it inside out. Worst possible otcome, I trash it and scour the thrift shops for some different fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chuck Norris does not knit. He bangs the table, and the shockwaves force the yarn to create clothing.

http://frousworld.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Home Style Fried Chicken
How To Cook Asparagus
Italian Sausage & Stuffed Mushrooms Recipes
Baked Potato
Seafood Gumbo
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...