A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My 1st project, I'd love to hear from you.  (Read 2955 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hellocutey
Boys like crafts too!

I'm scared of pandas.

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2005 02:56:04 PM »

I approach cross stitching with a bit of a punk credo since it's traditionally a very safe and clean medium. I feel that it's a medium ripe for exploration of themes that can be challenging and troublesome. So, I hope you like it. Smiley Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

minouette
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005 04:52:22 PM »

Well, that's certainly not safe and clean as subject matter!  Shocked It's arresting. I think art should be provocative and this certainly is. I had to stop and think, "What do I think about this? What is this saying?" You succeeded in getting my attention. It's very stark (black on white) and static (which is odd... a bit like the calm before the storm? or a comment on the way the image became an icon, which divorced it from the horrible reality?) It is a powerful work of art, though, ummm... I mean no offense but I wouldn't want it in my home (which is an indication of its ability to discombobulate). "Troublesome" hardly seems like a strong enough word. Good for you for tackling such a difficult idea. Art that explores such challenging themes makes people think and ultimately can help society face its demons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
hellocutey
Boys like crafts too!

I'm scared of pandas.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005 08:45:39 PM »

Wow, thanks for that response! Yes, that uneasy moment of peace and quiet, "the calm before the storm," the moment right before everything changed for a lot of people in this world, that's what I was trying to capture. I always felt that the moment right before the first plane struck was just as important as the moment when it did strike. I don't know how to describe it properly, but it I guess it's like the Cassandra effect, where you know that something horrible is about to happen and there's nothing you can do about it. I get this from watching clips of the 9/11 footage as I'm sure that a lot of people do, where you're reliving it over and over and there's this uneasy feeling in your belly becasue all you can do is sit back and wish it never happened.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chelsea
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005 11:34:34 AM »

The calm before the storm is exactly the thought that went through my head when I saw it.  The simple-ness of it makes that work perfectly. No clouds or windows or anything unnecessary.

I like it.  In a weird way that I can't put into words, but I know everyone knows what I mean.  I guess I like what it says. 

I also like that you used cross stitch, I like the contrast between the assumptions of x-stitch and the subject matter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wopsy
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005 10:48:29 PM »

I think you did a great job, hello.  And I'm always thrilled to see a guy's take on needlework.  More, more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Outernational inlaw.  Oh, I'm crafty, all right.
uplate6674
Professional Insomniac

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005 12:06:35 PM »

My first thought was that this is in incredibly poor taste. My second thought was, "This is CROSS-STITCH?Huh!!!"

I learned in college that a response to art should take into consideration form, composition, medium, and technique. IMHO this combines all of them into something arresting, thought-provoking, and totally new. I've never seen cross-stitch even remotely like this.

Good job.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Im wide awake
Wide awake
Im not sleeping
Oh, no, no, no"

-U2
arabella
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005 12:21:51 AM »

wow.  I'm just, wow.  I'm kinda speechless.  it makes me want to cry though.  wow.  definitely provocative and discomforting and... quietly shocking (maybe because I noticed the plane a little bit late).  I'm having a hard time expressing my thoughts, but I am impressed with the range of feelings you were able to evoke with this piece.

I'm very interested to see your future works, that's for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DevilDoll
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005 12:23:48 AM »

Beautiful.  I love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
corduroy cat
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005 03:43:14 AM »

you should exhibit your work. i agree that cross stitch and embroidery are mediums which are ripe for new realms of art and you defnitely made a bold statement here which made people think. and you're a BOY! wow. i'm humbled. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005 07:10:31 AM »

I concur with the above comments but my first response was less of a shocked one and more of a nostalgic one for that skyline. I've never felt so attached to buildings as I do to those two towers. I miss them everytime I look at the NY skyline and love seeing their silhouette in your x-stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Mend a Patch
How to Sew a Zipper
How to Do Pleats
How to Do the Bias Binding Technique in Sewing
How to Make a Pillow Cover
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...