A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,400
Currently Running With Scissors:
755 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wanted: Pattern for Chunky Shrug / Bolero  (Read 1540 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Scarlet
« on: October 19, 2005 05:35:24 AM »

Hi All,

I have been trying to find a pattern for a big knit / chunky shrug or bolero jacket.  It needs to be big knit / chunky so that i can knit it quickly (got a deadline as it is a present).

Any suggestions on either where to buy a pattern, or if you have a pattern to share or how i can easily knit my own.  I am a very experienced knitter, and I could usually figure it out, but the problem is, i just don't have time for experimentation and i can't find a pattern for something like this anywhere!!!

Huh

HELP PLEASE!!

Scarlet

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005 06:47:42 AM »

Here's my chunky bolero pattern:

http://www.lothruin.com/perfectshrug.html

It doesn't look very good in the pics, but it's beautiful on.  I might make a few adjustments to one part of it.  The only problem with that pattern is that the yarn has been discontinued.  (Although, Joann's does have a new yarn called Thick and Thin, which i think is not quite as bulky as the Licorice was, but even uses some of the same colorways.)  However, Crystal Palace Labradore would substitute, or you can just take a look at the pattern and figure out how to adjust the gauge for something like Wool-Ease Thich and Quick.  It's a really simple pattern.  Basically, you just make a little cropped raglan cardigan jobby, with really short fronts, and then you pick up stitches all around the edge and knit in 2x2 rib for 6" or so.  If you're experienced, adjusting it for your purposes should be that tough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
lsm
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005 06:50:46 AM »

shrug pattern generator:

http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/lucia/329

She's got other info on the site - very helpful.

Good luck w/your shrug!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melmelon

I'm a weird llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005 07:25:53 AM »

there's a kal in progress right now for the blackberry....
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTblackberry.html

I think I had mine knit up in less than two weeks without spending too much time per session on it...(I knit rather slowly and distractedly)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scarlet
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005 08:36:37 AM »

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback!

As i am Irish i am all a bit baffled by the US size of needles and everything being in inches!  I'm a "Centimetre" girl!

The pattern posted by Lothruin asks for size 15 US needles, anyone got ideas on what that is in European sizes ... will need to research it.!!  It is really beautiful though! I' very impressed and if you say it doesn't look good in the pic, well, it must be so pretty!!

Also the generator and the Kitty shrugs / bolero's are wonderful - thanks for the support! I'm impressed with the feedback!!!  Though again, the generator has baffled me with the measurements being in inches and US needle sizes!!!!  Will go home and knit a swatch and work it all out in my new found "Inches" hee hee hee ... it will be a challenge to get my head around it! But I'm sure i will be fine once i get going ....

Thanks again, and anymore suggestions are great!

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005 10:04:58 AM »

The US size 15 is 10mm or, according to this chart, an English size 000.  And the gauge would translate to roughly 11 stitches and 14 rows to 10 cm.  So the ribbing at the beginning of the sleeves will be worked for about 10cm instead of 4", and the ribbing in the round will be about 19cm.  The sleeves will be about 53cm long.  I think those are the only inch measurements.  Everything else is in number of rows or stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
knitchick2
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005 10:41:31 AM »

Not sure if it's as chunky as you want, but it's a cute shape...and it's a free pattern!

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/klsu-bolero.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

polkadotmocha
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005 12:01:35 PM »

Is Blackberry ridiculously ambitious for a first project?

If I just don't do the bobbles, do I need to add extra stitches in to replace them? (Sorry, this is probably a *very* stupid question.)

How about sizing - I'm a size 4 (ish) - can anyone who has made this up tell me whether the XS would be the right size for me? I want it *snug*.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005 12:27:36 PM »

This is a great one:

http://bluealvarez.com/bluealva/patterns/hotlava.html

I started it last Thursday, and I'm almost done (which is good, because I need it by Friday).  It's super easy, and I'm loving how it's turning out.

Make sure you show us pictures of whatever you decide to make!

Amanda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
Scarlet
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005 05:24:36 AM »

wow guys!

Overwhelmed with choice!!

Don't worry, i will put the pictures up, it is actually a present for my mum, so maybe i can get her to model it!  Cheesy

If I just don't do the bobbles, do I need to add extra stitches in to replace them? (Sorry, this is probably a *very* stupid question.)

I'm glad that i have inspired someone else out there with my Bolero / Shrug need.  Anyway, i often knit very patterned jumpers / cardigans and just leave out the bobbles and cables (as i like my knitwear very plain).  I have found that just leaving out these "decorations" doesn't effect the item too much.  What does anyone else think?

With regard to the "size 4" issue, i think that is an English size 8, so i would say that usually XS is for people of that size.  But i haven't knit it, so i am not sure ....

Anymore patterns out there?Huh

Cheers

Scarlet[/color]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Clip Notes in Premiere Pro CS4
How to Move Mountains with Photoshop
How to Add titles in Premiere Pro CS4
How to Make an Animated Emoticon with Adobe Photoshop
How to Outline your Fonts in Illustrator
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...