A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: **from BOSTON to PHILADELPHIA**  (Read 1345 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jcis27
« on: May 11, 2004 01:19:09 PM »

hey guys...
i'm looking for a little help...  i'm looking to move to philly august 1st, but i don't know anyone down there!  i am moving to attend a graduate course at philadelphia university... i am a 25 year old art school graduate, i'm veggie and have been for quite some time, but i am open to living in diverse households. biking is my main mode of transportation... i (heart) my bike. i don't smoke, i do sew and knit and craft. i also bake and cook, often. i clean up after myself because i am clean! i love animals and wouldn't mind living with them... if anyone knows of an open room or somebody looking for a roomie, i would really really appreciate it if you forwarded this along!  i'm also looking to join a knitting group and start crafting, i would really luv to meet new people and be a part of the community!
thanks!  j.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artistrachelmarie
Rachel Marie

Knitty Dirty Girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004 06:56:07 PM »

hey buddy,
I live in Lancaster, if you want to meet up sometime e mail artistrachelmarie@yahoo.com aim ienvypalemillie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CinnaOfDoom
Future Domestic Goddess

obsessed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004 12:17:24 PM »

I live in west Philadelphia; there is a cafe btwn 43 and 44 th on Locust that has a loose Knitting circle Mondays from 7:30 (or so) until 10.
Isn't Philadelphia University near the Roxborough neighborhood?
Public Tranist is a little sketchy in that part of the city; biking to center city is only a few miles, but at night can be a little daunting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting my way into the heart of a generation.
jcis27
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004 11:10:41 AM »

hey thanks!  i've found a place near rittenhouse (?) square, and it's on locust, which would be very convienient for that knitting circle...  we took this train up to my school, yeah, we went thru some very very rough areas.  nothing like what's in boston.  luckily, my classes are during the day, so i think it would be okay to bike sometimes.  thanks again for your help!  jl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CinnaOfDoom
Future Domestic Goddess

obsessed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004 06:11:54 PM »

My *favorite* yarn store is just off of Rittenhouse Square, on Locust; Rosie's Yarn Cellar.
I  think its between 20th and 21st on Locust. I may be wrong, but its in that area.
Since I live on the "other side of the river", Locust to Locust isn't a straight shot but its only about 20 blocks an easy bike, or a good walk on a nice day.  Buy yourself a BIG map of Philadelphia (not just center city/old city) and it'll make your life easier (there is a barnes and noble super store just across from the park on walnut, around 18th). Sometimes 'trial and error' isn't your safest bet.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

avu
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004 02:35:31 PM »

hey i just read your post now, although i suppose you posted it a while back.  i am also from boston (actually a suburb of boston) originally, but i'm at school in philly.  i go to temple but next year i'm planning on transferring to philadelphia university for textile design.  assuming you started school in september, i'm wondering how you like it.  and did you find any knitting or crafting groups?  i've been wanting to join one but i just never went out to look.  mmmm... yup that's all i can think of for now. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
twitching_cheerio
Moody Teen

fyi...thats not me...thats KAC :or: Kevin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004 02:37:54 AM »

hey thanks!  i've found a place near rittenhouse (?) square, and it's on locust, which would be very convienient for that knitting circle...  we took this train up to my school, yeah, we went thru some very very rough areas.  nothing like what's in boston.  luckily, my classes are during the day, so i think it would be okay to bike sometimes.  thanks again for your help!  jl

wow. rittenhouse...apart ments ther are expensive. its a very nice neighborhood. beware though...they sometimes have blowout rock concerts that you can hear from inside the Barnes and Noble loudly. i dont know how close you live but jsut watch out. Also, take CinnaofDooms advice...buy a map. i have lived in philly all my life and still get lost. unless you have  like a photographic andd you are going to remember all like 70 street names in the right order i think its a good idea. oh and a helpful tip:Broad st is 14th st. hope that uncauses confusion. i know it took me til like 8th grade to figure that out.(lol...this year) PM me if you need any good sewing stores or how to get to places. oh. if you dont wanna buy a map as long as you have a cell phone and good friends that know their way around they city that arent impataint itll work. I just call my friend michel and he guides me. yea...  ok you prolly didnt care at all about what i jsut said but w/e
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not all Scars Show
Not all wounds heal
Sometimes you can't always see
The pain someone feels

|K|e|v|i|n| |A|l|e|x|a|n|d|e|r| |C|l|a|r|k|
my Anti-Drug
monkeyrocker
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005 11:34:48 AM »

I live in west Philadelphia; there is a cafe btwn 43 and 44 th on Locust that has a loose Knitting circle Mondays from 7:30 (or so) until 10.
Isn't Philadelphia University near the Roxborough neighborhood?
Public Tranist is a little sketchy in that part of the city; biking to center city is only a few miles, but at night can be a little daunting.

Hey, I just wanted to pop in and say that the people who own Greenline are renting Cafe Clave from Norma (the cafe between 43rd and 44th on Locust in W. Philly) and planning to re-open, so maybe the knitting circle will be starting up again soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it. --Mae West
ShaysDays
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005 12:51:19 PM »

There is also a knitting circle that meets at Low, (it's a bar) in South Philly. They meet every other Thursday night, the next meeting is Feb 10th.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CinnaOfDoom
Future Domestic Goddess

obsessed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005 05:39:08 AM »

Hey, I just wanted to pop in and say that the people who own Greenline are renting Cafe Clave from Norma (the cafe between 43rd and 44th on Locust in W. Philly) and planning to re-open, so maybe the knitting circle will be starting up again soon.

Yeah... I've been. They have the CRAPPY hours. Who closes at 7pm?!?!
I'm barely home from work at that hour...
However, you can catch me there many nights with my knitting... I'm easy to spot, I'm the only one there knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Fairy Tail Lucy
How to Draw Evil Flippy
How to Draw Edward Elric
How to Draw Dioxys
How to Draw Little Rabbit Girl
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...