A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
747 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tell me about your Christmas Trees!  (Read 6942 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MopTopStumptown
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2005 02:55:09 PM »

i grew up in a timber town so we always had a real tree.   last year i made ribbons from paper scrap and it looked pretty awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slackferno
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2005 10:19:54 PM »

We usually had a real one when I was growing up (we'd go out and kill our own), but Mom likes to tell the story of my first Christmas when we had a fake one.  I'm a New Year's Baby, so by my first Christmas, I was just starting to take my first steps, and I was definitely crawling all over the place.  Mom thought instead of trying to keep me in the playpen for a month so I'd stay away from the tree, she'd give me free reign and put the tree in the playpen instead.  We have photos of a playpen filled with a decorated Christmas tree and many wrapped gifts, and my chubby little baby self sitting there thinking, "Well, it seems odd, but if this is how it's done, c'est la vie."

One year after I moved out on my own, my roommates and I put up a Tree for Swingin' Lovers.  I was full-on into the Lounge scene at the time, so we put up an aluminum tree, complete with color wheel, and decorated it in a kitschy lounge theme.  Leopard print tree skirt, and I made martini ornaments.  I bought tiny champagne glass charms from a wedding shop, and glued Fimo olives inside. 

Now my fiance and I live in a studio apartment with our cat, so there's very little room for a Christmas tree.  A couple years ago, we just didn't bother putting one up, and we were both depressed about it.  So last year, we came up with a solution that addresses the space issue as well as the Puddy concern. 

It should be noted that we're both huge nerds, and this tree tickles us to no end.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Era Vera
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2005 10:58:53 PM »

Ha, that is awesome. the lego tree is so cool. Those upside down trees . . . hmm, I sort of like the second one. Christmas is awesome (I used to HATE it) and my friends and I are doing christmasy things the entire month of december. Including giving one person a small present EVERY day. Excited.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://eravera.blogspot.com/ <-rarely updated crafting blog
http://modaveloce.blogspot.com/ <-fashion-y blog with some diy and photography/art stuff
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2005 10:16:25 AM »

Oh, I like the upsidedown tree on a hat stand (or maybe it was homemade?).  It just looks so much more like a tree than the ones just hanging there, but it still has the small footprint and the un-availablility to cats and other small critters  Grin.  May have to try that!

GlassAttic ...polymer clay "encyclopedia"
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2005 11:40:56 AM »

Before I got the tinsel tree I was trying to figure out a way to suspend a tree rightside up from the ceiling to keep the cats at bay but I never managed it. I did hang a long bamboo pole horizontally across the ceiling and decorated that with lights and tinsel and snowflakes/icicles for a few years. It was pretty cool actually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
trixies mama
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2005 12:26:22 PM »

We moved to Florida in 1982 and didn't have much money. I got really sick Christmas week and was supposed to go into the hospital - but refused because of the holidays. We couldn't afford a tree of any kind so I got out paper (my husband used to work in a paper mill)  and drew one (about 4' tall) and colored it and taped it to the wall. I had no ornaments so I used a lot of my jewelry - dangle earrings, bracelets and necklaces. It was a great little tree!

The year after that I was on bed rest after sugery - doctor's orders - and couldn't work. The guys my husband worked with took him out and a couple of 12 packs later between them I had 4 guys in my living room singing and laughing with a 6' live tree top (yes they actually climbed a tree and cut the top off!) and boxes and boxes of lights and ornaments their wives donated! It was the best tree ever! The fresh cut smell was heavenly.

I've since recovered healthwise and do my own tree with ornaments I make each year. I always try to add a new ornament every year. Most of my ornaments are made from clay pots - santas, elves, angels, snow boys and girls, mice, penguins boy & girls and reindeer boys & girls. I make pompom teddybears with top hats and candy "canes" and snowmen with little straw brooms and silk flower angels too. My mom and I also made 36" tall toy soldiers out of big clay pots to stand on either side of our tree. As I said earlier I try to create a new ornament every year, but I just can't seem to get in the spirit this year.

I ended up ordering all my gifts this year with the exception of my cookie baking and I've already made my elf , snowman and penguin coffee cans to put them in for delivery, so other than the ornaments I make for people in nursing homes who have no family I probably won't do much more, but I do love Christmas!!

Sorry, guess I got a little long-winded. Ah just reminiscing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SKerri13
Tutorial Contributor

Don't Eat the Paste

conformity is subversive.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2005 04:51:12 PM »

We use a fake tree, but fill it in with silk roses so it's very full. The roses are varying shades of pink/rose/mauve-y tones, and the ornaments are irisy clear glass balls, some handmade ones, and one very out of place Mystery Machine which I grudgingly allow my dh to put on the tree each year. I make a few ornaments with my kids through the year that will look good on the tree, this year we made bead and wire icicles. Instead of garlands or tinsel, I use 2 inch wide wired ribbon down the length of the tree in a slow twist.

White lights. Lots of white lights, set on twinkle.

The kids have their own mini tree too to decorate how they please. It varies yearly, this year Emily's making origami stars for both trees out of wrapping paper from last year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

box of purls
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2005 07:27:40 PM »

Oh man....I love legos I never had enough of them when I was a kid...so that's one of the best trees ever!
I think I've seen the upside down trees before.  I used to work in the Christmas department and got to see all the seasonal stuff to be ordered and I think I remember seeing some of them..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hugs-n-bugs
I'm better than Martha, well almost.

Have glue gun, will travel...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2005 01:46:54 PM »

Well I gre up going out and chopping my own down, and myhubby and I always bought a real one until my oldest son was born and he is allergic to them so we have a 12 foto fake one.  10 years ago we went out and bought all kinds of ornaments to fill our tree and every year I have made it a point to buy each of us a new one, mY dh collects those star Trek ones and I have threatened to get him his own tree but he arranges the back half o f the tree with all his space ships so they look like they are chasing each other, and I collect snowmen and angels and my boys liek the hot wheels ornaments, but with all those and all the ones my boys have made it really looks very country liek and even on a 12 foot tree I have run out of space  and I don't even put up all the oraments I bought 10 years ago, only a few of those remain.  Inormally wrqap it in ribbon but last year a mouse got in our stasha nd peed on my white plaid ribbon so all I had was Gold ribbon and red and white lights, I am glad I looked for my pics, because I did not liek the way I had the ribbon hung on the tree and I remember I did not have enough to hang it this way, i need to go buy more now so I can wind it around.

HEre is my tree from last year:

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011 01:59:13 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for fellow craftsters to share ideas with!
http://www.myspace.com/giggles1100
scrappygirl085
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2005 01:58:23 PM »

We'd always used an artificial tree, living in apartments, until 3 years ago.  We bought our first house that fall and wanted a real Christmas tree.  Well, since we were going to cut down that tree the previous owner planted too close to the sidewalk anyway, hubby did what ANYONE would do.... 

Of course I took pictures as he proceeded to cut this tree down from the front lawn and drag it into the house!!!  Total redneck thing to do, right?  I'm sure the neighbors (none of whom we'd met yet) were watching out their windows saying, "There goes the neighborhood!"

Anyway, I collect the old-fashioned looking 'mercury glass' type ornaments, as well as anything the kids have made (I make a new ornament w/ them every year), always alot of lights, and my garland looks like icicles(sp?).  My new fave ornaments are the Nightmare Before Christmas set that my son game me last year!!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hitman Absolution Highlights - The Shaun Method
PS4 Company Sony to Sell Its Entire Stake in Square Enix
Snoop Dogg in Call of Duty; Sony Sells $49m Square Enix Stake
Firaxis Beyond Earth Panel from PAX East 2014
Elsword - Hamel Secret Dungeon Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...