A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,142
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tell me about your Christmas Trees!  (Read 7171 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

box of purls
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2005 08:51:58 PM »

When I was kid my whole family would load up into my dad's truck (there were 7 of us in all) and we would go to where my dad kept some of his cows and we would all look for a tree and decide which one was the best.  Then he'd cut it down put it in the back of his truck and we would all help decorate it with all sorts of stuff whether it be from school or decorations we'd had forever.  It was great.  I miss that but we are all grown up.
Now we have a fake tree we put up every year.  All the decorations match and are just so so.  We have burgundy and cream colored ornaments and the little blown glass ones.  It's pretty but not the same. 

PepsiTwist yours is very pretty.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PepsiTwist
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2005 08:56:18 PM »

Thank you Smiley

I know what you mean, my family never had a real tree but we would always get to decorate the tree with all sorts of things, now as you can see its pretty uniform, decorated the same way every year. But I did get to help pick out a real tree every year to cuz my sister (really good friend, not really related) lived down the street and we would go every year with he parents pick out a tree come home and decorate it, but she moved to north carolina now Sad so now i only have one way of any type of decorating, is at my cousins we string popcorn and hang hand crafted ornaments loads of fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
box of purls
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2005 08:58:40 PM »

that sounds like us pepsitwist.  Most of our ornaments were handmade by us.  We had the paper link chains too.  One year we tried to string popcorn but we ate it all between the five of us kids. hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honorhappy
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2005 12:47:53 AM »

I just reorganized the living room so that we can fit a full sized tree in there!  It will be a fakey, but that's okay.  We were just going to have our two little mini trees, so having a full sized tree at all is great!  We always had the handmade, school ornaments...my parents still fill their tree with them.  I've been making some ornaments for our trees, and they will be filled in with storebought balls and candy canes, maybe some pine cones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Littlejo
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2005 02:35:05 AM »

Come december i will take a pic of my tree to show you all! I am quite proud of ours we have loads of mismatched decorations and store bought ones and ones my brother and i have made, its cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starblossom
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2005 12:39:21 PM »

I grew up with a fake christmas tree. We had a very old one too, with each branch piece colour coded. I think the model was about 20 years old at least! I think we'll get a mini fake christmas tree for our apartment this year. My parents have a new fake tree now. I just don't agree with cutting down trees to decorate so then they can die..anyways. I already have some strings of mini-lights and some very old christmas ornaments that I got from my grandparents when they passed away. I love old fashioned tree decorations. Our tree at my parents is always full of ornaments we've collected over the years, many of them handed down and some of them handmade (some of them were made by me when I was in kindergarten!).

I don't think I would ever buy one of those fancy new trees with the optic fibre branches or whatever...it's too modern for my tastes. This is my first christmas in my own apartment (though I will go home to celebrate) so i'm getting excited. I can't wait to see what our tree will look like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do. (Oasis)
http://neatstuffs.wordpress.com
50srocknrollergirl
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2005 04:56:43 PM »

we always have had a real one...not even a bought real one...my gramp takes the grand kids out in the woods to find one.  fake ones look nice but real ones kinda mean more to us.  it kinda looks charlie brownish at first but we dec it out nicely.  i dont think real ones are too much trouble.  we get it a week before christmas and throw it away after new years. we just chuck it in the woods since we live in the boonies.  we always have an angel on top instead of a star. good times good times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
huongandmatthew
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2005 05:10:27 PM »

I love the smell of real Christmas trees.  Sometimes we use the fake one we have, sometimes a real one.  Have you guys ever heard of those upside down trees??  I heard on npr they were the latest trend. They are so hilarious!!!

http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/images/productdetail/upside_down_wall_tree.jpg
http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/Images/CategoryDetail/Ornamental_Display.jpg

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011 11:01:18 PM by alteredmommy - Reason: fixed coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Catgirrrl
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2005 10:36:41 AM »

It's so great reading about everyone's new and old traditions.   

For many many summers growing up, my family would make dough ornaments for our Christmas tree; it was a good summer project that took up a few days (making dough, crafting ornaments, baking and then painting).  Now we have this huge collection of ornaments for our tree that us kids have made from age 3 and up plus my parents'.  It was a great tradition and when we all have our own families, my mom will start giving us our ornaments that we made.

Right now I want to get a pink tinsel tree and kitsch it all out.  I figure this is the perfect time to enjoy weird experimental trees, though not so sure about the upside down trees.  I'd feel like I was in one of those "What's wrong with this room" pictures!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2005 11:09:08 AM »

I love the smell of real Christmas trees.  Sometimes we use the fake one we have, sometimes a real one.  Have you guys ever heard of those upside down trees??  I heard on npr they were the latest trend. They are so hilarious!!!

http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/images/productdetail/upside_down_wall_tree.jpg
http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/Images/CategoryDetail/Ornamental_Display.jpg

Those would be another solution to the tree vs cat dilema!  Grin
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011 09:00:15 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose Design Colors
How to Decorate a Living Room
How to Get a Great Look
Do I Need Professional Design Help
How to Decorate a Half Bath
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...