A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tell me about your Christmas Trees!  (Read 6993 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

honorhappy
« on: October 18, 2005 03:27:39 PM »

Do you have a real Christmas tree, a fake, do you have a mini treese, or do you opt not to have a Christmas tree at all?  Growing up, my family never had a live tree.  That doesn't bother me; I have my memories of mom trying to put things together (it was one of those older models with the colored coded limbs, now they have a two piece beauty with the lights already attached).  From what I've heard, live trees can be a pain.  I'm sure my parents had a fake for economic reasons; now that I live on my own I couldn't find the room in this place for a live tree if I tried (I have two minis).

If you do keep a live tree, do you keep it yearlong or how do you dispose of it?  I was reading a vintage Christmas Craft book, and they give directions for keeping your Christmas tree yearlong.  I'd be happy to give out the directions they had!  I see Christmas trees out in the alleys after Christmas and it seems such a waste.

As Christmas approaches, feel free to post pics of your trees and how you're going to decorate them as well!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Happychick
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005 06:57:11 PM »

we have a live tree every year (ooohh, it smells so good!) and we get it on the weekend nearest my birthday each year (17th, so about a week before christmas) and we decorate the tree together. My dad does the lights, and inevitably on of the bulbs will have blown and there will be no spare! Our decorations are totally random, and our tree isnt like, colour themed or anything. There are some normal, shop bought baubles, and stuff, and some gorgeous blown eggs that my parents got on their honeymoon, and then a lot that were made by my brothers and i, some of them extremely little-kiddish and overly glittery, and some more recent ones. We get rid of it each year on a bonfire on my mum's allotment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honorhappy
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005 02:46:35 AM »

Happychick, that's so cool that you make a bonfire with your tree!  I heard that you couldn't use the tree as firewood indoors because it burns so fast, but outside must be fine, huh?   I bet it does smell lovely and it sounds like you have a cool tradition.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ncfcanna
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005 05:58:27 AM »

We always have a real one, every year. And decorate it roughly a couple of weeks before Christmas. We also have 3 fakes ones, one fibre optic and two that we decorate. We start putting out all our other decorations 3 weeks before Christmas.

I also decorate my room, with paper chains, lights etc.

The house looks fantastic. Every room has decorations apart from the upstairs hall and my parents bedroom, and the two bathrooms.

We also have 3 sets of outside lights, 1 of which is REALLY long. We also have flashing bells that we put on the front of the house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezri_B
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005 07:12:42 AM »

I've always had a real tree.  Well, one year we didn't and I cried and cried. I've never liked Christmas much, but the one thing I do like is the tree. I just need the smell I guess. Ours is decorated in Gold and white primarily. With white lights no blinking. And a simple white star on top. We have a fire with ours on my husband's family's farm around new years.

My kids have a small fake one in their room, because they always want to bring the ornaments that they make up to their room, so we finally gave in and got them a little fake one for their room. No lights or anything on this one.

We keep trying to have a fake tree (the real ones are a bit of maintenance). But I can't find a fake one I like. I don't think it would be able to be realistic looking at all. I was actually thinking of getting one of those metal outdoor trees with the white lights and painting the metal black and putting in purple lights and decorating it sort of Nightmare before Christmas style.
Maybe buy a little potted one for the smell and when it gets too big for in the house, plant it somewhere. I don't know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Littlejo
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005 11:56:27 AM »

We have always had a fake tree, i love putting it up in the first week of december, it fits together in three main parts and a stand. I don't miss having a real one because i've never had one and i like what we have. We have this gorgeous angel that goes on the top (we aren't religious about christmas or anything really but you still have the decor don'tcha) and a midge modge of silly little decorations that me and my brother made and different ones my mum buys every year! we don't have a colour code we just throw it on! (not literally!) oh yea and we have those little chocolates you hang on your tree too! Our lights on our christmas tree play music but it gets annoying....also i have a mini tree in my room which has gold decoratins cos they cam with it!
Yey for chirstmas! Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005 11:58:53 AM by Littlejo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Darian
The standard snowflake.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005 12:23:09 PM »

My birthday is the day after Christmas, so I like to do up the whole season. I always have the biggest real tree that will fit in my apartment, decorated with white lights and a huge variety of carved wooden animals and mini disco balls (my party animal tree). Around the apartment I hang light garlands, stockings, window kissing balls, table top decorations with pine cones... Last year I made new matching wreaths in green and gold and red that I LOVE... I love decorating for Christmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it! --Elwood Blues
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005 01:08:10 PM »

Growing up we had fake trees, so when I moved out I was a die-hard "real tree" fan. My best advice is that the stand they nail into the bottom of the tree is much easier to manage than the clamp on kind! Then I moved to the 3rd floor and got cats...now I have a vintage silver tree. I love it, and it's pretty enough (in a kitchy way) without ornaments, so if the cats knock it over I just set it back up. I'd like to get a vintage light wheel! My neighbors have a potted Norfolk Island Pine they use every year, it keeps getting bigger. She's a teacher and keeps it in her classroom during the year. I also used to have a "party pole" in my apartment, a long bamboo pole I hung horizontally from the ceiling and would decorate different ways. Sometimes it was my substitute Christmas Tree, I covered it in lights and tinsel and hung glittery snowflakes and icicles from it. It was pretty cool (I also decorated that pole for other parties and holidays, hence the name)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
classycrafter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005 01:27:23 PM »

I just love decorating the Christmas Tree!! When I was growing up my mom had fake and my dad had real. I will only buy real trees. We go out to one of the local farms and take a tractor ride out to the Christmas Tree fields, pick out our tree and cut it down ourselves. Its so much fun! Except last year the tree we picked didnt look as big as it actually was and when we got in the house it was almost touching the ceiling. It was so huge! We usually do this about 3 weeks before christmas and we listen to christmas tunes and drink hot cocoa while we decorate. I look forward to it all year!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/classycrafter

classycrafter.etsy. com
minouette
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005 01:42:22 PM »

My family always had a real tree when I was growing up. We too would go to the tree farm and cut it down. I loved it- selecting the tree, getting to saw it myself. We would always get the biggest tree which could fit through our door, and sometimes we over-estimated. Decorations were a mis-mash of different colours and home-made versus store bought. We would string popcorn, but gave up on cranberries and replaced them with red wooden beads. It is sad after Christmas that you have all those trees at the curb, but if no one bought fresh trees, there wouldn't be all those tree farms so it encourages the planting of trees, which is a good thing.

Last year was the first time I didn't go home for the holiday and we just had some little fake trees, because there isn't that much room here. My bf's family sent a tiny tree, lights and glass ball ornaments, which was sweet- like Christmas in a box.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
RAW File Basics
The Time of Day in Digital Photography
Digital Zoom Tips
Digital Camera Exposure Basics
Outdoor Photography Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...