A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,613
Currently Running With Scissors:
772 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: batting recommendations?  (Read 2171 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shsupernova
funny love

your chopsticks dance will win over his heart

View Profile WWW
« on: October 18, 2005 04:56:57 AM »

hello everyone!  i'm currently working on my first quilt...a celtic apllique quilt.  i want to hand-quilt it, but i'm not really sure what kind of batting to use.  so if there are any hand-quilters out there, what batting do you like to use, and why?  i've already spent 2+ months doing the hand-applique, so i want to be sure to use a good batting on it.  also, if any one has any other tips about hand-quilting, i would be much appreciative.  thanks so much!!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my website!  thecleverkitty.com
and my etsy shop!  www.thecleverkitty. etsy.com
bluebubble
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005 05:32:34 AM »

I would definately recommend using a cotton batting and definately not polyester!! Also check to see if you need to pre-shrink the cotton batting cuz you wouldn't want it to shrink after your quilt is made up! Please post a pic when your done!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shsupernova
funny love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005 04:25:13 AM »

thanks, bluebubble!  i was leaning towards using a cotton batting.  and thanks for the tip about preshrinking...i probably wouldn't have thought of that!  Cheesy

anyone else have any recommendations or tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmoore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005 03:09:53 PM »

The cotton will give you more of an 'antiqued' look (shrunken), whereas a poly will be puffier. It would also be much warmer than a cotton batt.
I don't know if I would pre-shrink the cotton batt, as the antique look is much of it's charm, and this comes by way of it shrinking from the quilting lines.

Remember to use a good fabric as your backng as well-not a bedsheet, as they can be hell to hand quilt because the thread count is so high.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005 03:12:21 PM by cmoore » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005 10:16:42 PM »

Now I have to play devil's advocate and advise against cotton batting.  My mom made me a quilt about 15 years ago using cotton batting.  Today, the batting is all at the edges of my quilt.  After being washed on a couple times, the batting broke down and traveled to the edges.  My mom was not pleased to see all her hard, hand quilting work wasted on batting that fell apart.  At the very least, I would go with a cotton/polyester blend. 

Just my two cents!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
bubbanizzlemomma

Beware the smiling Zillameister

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005 01:07:22 PM »

I use Warm N Natural batting.  It's needlepunched cotton.  I've made 2 quilts (one for each of my boys) with it, and it has really stood up to washing.  I take them to the laundrymat and wash them with Orvis in the commercial machine (no agitator) and I don't put them into the dryer, so that may be part of the reason that they still haven't had any problems.  I hand quilted with about 6 stitches to the inch in a grid pattern. It is on the thin side, but warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

Carol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewersue
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005 05:02:19 AM »

I would also suggest the Warm and Natural batting.  I've made about 30 quilts and have just switched over.  The reason being is that I just finished a black quilt and after washing, the batting bearded through.  I was so upset to see little fuzzes all along the border. 

My first quilt made with the W&N is the house quilt (check out pic in my photo link below).  Even though it's going to be a wall hanging, it made such a difference in quilting! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shsupernova
funny love

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005 04:42:52 AM »

thanks for all the advice!  i decided to go with the warm and natural batting.  for those of you that have used it, how far apart did make your quilting lines?  i think on the package it said they could be up to 10" apart.  that just seemed really far apart to me.  i just posted a picture of the finished quilt top, if anyone is interested:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=62555.msg592348#msg592348

sewersue, your quilts are lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005 10:32:27 AM »

10" IS really far apart.  And esp. with cotton, I really highly reccommend igoring the packaging.  A general guidline is no distance greater than the width of your hand (from egde of pinkie to edge of thumb) between quilting lines.  However, I just read in a quilting magazine that that really isn't even enough.  IF you want your quilt to last for a long time, as in, able to pass it down thru generations, your lines should be no farther than 3" apart. 

Hope that helps!

PS-->The pics of your quilt aren't showing up for me  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005 12:47:27 PM »

thanks for all the advice!  i decided to go with the warm and natural batting.  for those of you that have used it, how far apart did make your quilting lines?  i think on the package it said they could be up to 10" apart.  that just seemed really far apart to me.  i just posted a picture of the finished quilt top, if anyone is interested:

I second the no more than 3" apart rule!!! at 10 inches, you would have major migrating batting. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfre etobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Shirley Jones: What Are You Reading
Fran Lebowitz: The Importance of Drawing Pilgrims
Anders De La Motte on the Game Trilogy
Su Meck Talks About Forgetting to Remember
The 17 Day Diet Saved Their Lives
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...