A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: rat diapers?  (Read 5259 times)
Tags for this thread: rat , pet_clothes  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

juliel85
« on: October 17, 2005 09:53:54 PM »

ok, I know, that sounds weird, but my rat is very young and I want to let him roam around but he'll poop and pee everywhere.  I'm thinking I'll make one out of fabric/terrycloth/plastic lining with velcro fasteners and just washing it, but I was wondering if anyone had done this and whether or not it worked.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005 08:30:02 AM »

He would probably chew himself out of it. I find that rats are very quick to be litterbox trained, so you may just want to try that. My rats all learned very quickly not to poop on me (even the ones who weren't really litterbox trained) though if they are out of the cage long enough, well...they may just HAVE to go (though mine were pretty obvious about it, shifting from foot to foot, looking edgy, etc).

One thing to consider though, is that males scent mark. Even if he becomes litterbox trained he may pee a bit here and there. Some of them are pretty bad about it, and some are pretty neat.

Do you just have one rat? You may want to consider getting him a friend. They are usually pretty miserable when they are alone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
juliel85
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005 06:12:59 AM »

yes, he is alone right now, but I'm really wanting to remedy that.  right now the housing I have for him is only big enough for one, but I"m working on changing that because he's very skittish and scared and I think a buddy (maybe even one of his brothers) would help with that.  My only concern is they're still too young to tell what sex they are, and I can't cope with breeding at the moment. 
Thanks for your input!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005 06:33:20 AM »

I definitely think he'd be less skittish with a buddy - I once fostered a rat who had some pretty serious behaviorial (i.e. biting) issues. His nickname was Spawn of Satan Smiley I got another foster rat to be his buddy and it really helped things tremendously. Since your guy is so young, you should have no problem integrating him with another rat. But yeah, making sure of gender first is a very good idea.

If you're looking for a good cage, try here: www.martinscages.co m - there's a whole section of rat cages. My two girls are in the R-685 and it's just the perfect size for them. These cages are MUCH cheaper than anything I've seen in a pet store, and most pet stores don't have cages appropriate for rats. They will try to sell you some torturously tiny thing for $70....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
tiph_thompson

Can't. Stop. Making. Things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005 08:20:38 PM »

I agree with the rat buddy advice....they're much much happier with company.  I haven't any at the moment, but when i had my twin rats i used to let them wander around within a particular area where they could easily return to their cage as desired.  Never had much problem with the pooping and peeing, but if I let them roam into newer, larger territory there'd be the occasional pee incident.  I used to take them out in a little mesh-windowed backpack-type thing i made, and sometimes in the grass a little on the lawn.  They always seemed happier after an adventure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing machine brings all the boys to the yard.

You'll find the fruits of my labor here:
www.odkins.etsy.com

Great vintage fabrics, books, supplies:
www.TheHaps.etsy.co m
ultraviolet
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005 08:12:41 AM »

Adventures are a good good thing! Even going to the vet can be like a field trip Smiley Just be very very careful if you take your rats outside - birds of prey can swoop from out of nowhere. I've heard of a couple of people who this happened to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

juliel85
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005 05:39:47 AM »

Thanks for all the advice...I decided you were right about having company, so I got another rat (and learned in the process that my original is a female, not a male).  Their names are Deauxregard Strudel and Brendalyn Frangipane.  I like the idea of taking them on adventures...I think I'll be sewing a mesh-windowed bag sometime soon!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005 07:47:25 AM »

Excellent names! Glad you figured out the gender before getting the friend. Rats can have very many babies in a short amount of time Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiph_thompson

Can't. Stop. Making. Things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005 12:01:42 PM »

Wink ... just make sure to check the mesh on your home-made bag regularly - rats like to chew! persistent little guys they are.   And my goodness...i never really thought about birds of prey, the world is such a scary place for a little rodent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing machine brings all the boys to the yard.

You'll find the fruits of my labor here:
www.odkins.etsy.com

Great vintage fabrics, books, supplies:
www.TheHaps.etsy.co m
neness
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011 02:31:48 PM »

Hi there!

Did u manage to make rat diapers? I have a lovely male rat called Mimi and i love to let him free in the house but sometimesI wish he didnt pee on the sofa, the bed etc... U would help me a lot if u could share some tips with me. Thank u so much .

vanessa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ravyk
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011 11:18:27 PM »

Sorry not craft related but still relevant.

You should be able to tell what sex they are, even at a young ages. I got shown how to do it as part of my Vet Nursing training. Google, 'sexing young rats' and it should come up with some photos to go by.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Tips: How To Pull Of A Faux Bob
How to Make Your Blowout Last
Summer Hair Trend: Sun Kissed Hair Color
How to Do a Hair Knot
Wedding Hair Inspiration: Plaited Updo
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...