A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote for your favorite Bottle It Up project now! Smiley
Total Members: 302,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Patchwork My Little Pony custom  (Read 2096 times)
Tags for this thread: my_little_pony , tv_show  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nuves
« on: October 17, 2005 01:45:54 PM »

I'm new here, so this is my first posted project... It's something I did a while ago, but I'm really proud of it. ^_^ It's a customized My Little Pony (those plastic ponies that were all the rage in the 80's - I'm a collector), made especially for my mom, who's really into patchworking and quilting. Each "patch" on the pony represents something I relate to her.

Full view.

Another full view.

Display side view.

None-display side view.

It's made by repainting what's known as a "bait" pony - one that has been badly treated, and often lacks hair, has bitemarks etc. I use acrylic paint for most of it, except for the black detailing, I used a pen for that. I usually do one coat of sealing too, non-glossy. I used glossy sealer on another one, and it looked like it was wearing a blue latex suit.  Roll Eyes
I've rehaired it too, using a sort of doll's hair I bought online. The hair is sort of sewn into place, using dental floss (it's strong, and also leaves the pony with a slightly minty smell) and a curved needle.
So to finish this off, this pony started off as a white pony with pink, badly cut hair, and ended up like this. My mother loved it, she's always wanted me to be crafty. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xstillxherex72
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005 01:48:40 PM »

thats cool Smiley
my friend does that...well she didn't draw the quilt on, but she re-hairs it and puts other custom stuff on it Smiley

oh, and welcome to craftster!

much love
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005 02:12:25 PM »

I LOVE this! Seing stuff like this makes me want to bring out my collection of MLP's from when I was a kid Smiley I have a ton... well, atleast more than 20. I kept wanting more ponies, but by the age of five I was the only one into them, and everyone else were into barbies (and I just never really liked dolls...). By the age of 8, no one played that kind of games anymore at all, it was all collectors cards and sports or talking about music groups *sigh*
Sorry for the rant Roll Eyes

But your pony is really great, if I saw a craft pony in the store (that looked like the 80's ponies, not the misshaped anime MLP's they have now..) I'd really want it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
Bambridge Bears

The windows of the soul

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005 03:54:59 AM »

Well done she looks gorgeous.  i was too old when the MLP came out the first time BUT this time I get to enjoy them through my daughter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

radal16
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005 06:00:35 AM »

Great project.  I have 33 MLP molding away in my parents basement right now.  It's good to know that they can be revitalized  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kousagi
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005 07:06:01 AM »

It's very cute

I'm so glad people are reusing ponies, barbies and their ilk.

I always felt so sorry for the thrown away, mal treated ones when I was a kid  Cry

I couldn't rescue them all, now I know other people are giving them good homes too  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Once upon a time...
happythermia

On the beachside, combing the sand.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005 06:42:02 PM »

That is gorgeous! I love the color combonation...and the patches look like you bought them that way.

I love custom MLP, I've seen a lot of sites with them....maybe I should browse the flea market so I can try one of my own  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bird nerd
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005 11:07:07 PM »

oh wow, that is so cool! I used to love those as a kid. I love the hair colours too Smiley

Have you seen the "good morning sunshine" pony? It's not strictly a MLP collectable (its pretty huge) so you might not have seen it......it turns its head and blinks and talks to you!!

I sound like a jumped up sugarhigh kid Smiley I work in a toy shop so I love to play with everything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xstillxherex72
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005 06:51:51 AM »

i gave some of MLPs to my friend, and i want to know if they are collectable now. i'll have to describe them to you cause my cameras being weird. the first one is a pink, somewhat light, dark/hot pink tail and mane (themane has a streak of white), its looking up annd has a unicorn horn, and it has purple kites with blue strings on its side.  the first one is named peachy (i know this for sure) and it is peach color with light pink hair and pink hearts on the side. and the last one i kept cause its my fave Tongue its a greenish color with a lightish purple mane and tail, and it has wings builtinto the body, and a 3D ice cream cone on the side.
know anything??

much love

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005 07:52:59 AM »

mm I'm curious about a general MLP value guide as well.. not that I'd ever sell mine, but I just like knowing these things Smiley Also, a picture-name guide would be nice if anyone knows a good one.. I found some sort at some point, but it was very "next page" all over... so to speak. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Adjust Brightness and Contrast in Paint.NET
How to Adjust Image Resolution in Photoshop CS3
How to Adjust Shadow Levels in Photoshop CS3
How to Adjust the Hue and Saturation in Photoshop CS3
How to Align Objects in Flash CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...