A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: All About Felting  (Read 32215 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2004 08:31:53 PM »

there's a new yarn I noticed at jo ann's today...  Lion brand Landscapes.  it's a wool blend, but it says that it felts!  just thought I'd point it out for people who have a hard time finding wool yarn at chain stores.  I'm planning to get some soon.  I'm not crazy about the colors, but that's ok.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flossie
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2004 03:10:17 PM »

If you don't want it to felt too much, always always check on it!  That might be the one good thing about doing it by hand.  If you do it in a washing machine, I'd check every 5 minutes.  I've done some things that I've had to let it agitate for 40 minutes (I check every 10 minutes) and others that take one 5-10 minute cycle of agitation.  Felted Knits is a great book for this!

What happens when you felt something too much? (does it just get too fuzzy or shrink too much?) Also, how much does something usually shrink when it is felted?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jera
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2004 06:55:20 PM »

What is a good brand of felting yarn? Does anyone have a link to a place that sales Araucania yarn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be to her virtues kind, Be to her flaws a little blind"
hollyg9211

9 out of 10 ninjas agree...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2004 11:28:43 AM »

My favorite, so far, is Patons Classic Merino.  It comes in some beautiful colors and it felts beautifully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shop for KiWi Cuties apparel at
http://www.kiwicuties.etsy.com
girlniteowl

I'm a tasty knitter!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2004 06:28:24 PM »

i've done a wee bit of felting and my favorite yarn is cascade 220.  the mixture of colors in the final product gets me every time - it always looks like the main color you start out with but there's subtle hints of different colors that pop out here and there.  in my experience, cascade 220 has always come out great and it's totally reasonable cost-wise (usually like $6 or $7 a skein, for 220 yards). okay, okay, enough, i sound like a commercial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jera
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2004 11:08:14 AM »

Is there a good place online to get these yarns?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be to her virtues kind, Be to her flaws a little blind"
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2004 12:16:43 PM »

I think yarn.com has cascade 220
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hollyg9211

9 out of 10 ninjas agree...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2004 10:01:09 AM »

I've just recently begun felting.  I began with Gjestal Naturgarn No. 1 in Red and it felted very unevenly and extremely fuzzy.  Next, I tried Pattons Classic Wool in black and grey mix.  The grey mix felted faster and sturdier than the black.   
I'm awaiting a shipment of Brown Sheep natural spin for further felting.  I was thinking of getting some Reynolds lopi lite, too.  Has anyone had any experience with these yarns?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shop for KiWi Cuties apparel at
http://www.kiwicuties.etsy.com
jpants
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2004 10:13:05 AM »

i have felted with reynolds lopi (not lite) and it felted very well, but was very fuzzy.  i had to shave it.  i've felted a lot of brown sheep lamb's pride and it works great, but i don't think it is the same thing as natural spin, i've never heard of that.  another good felter is cascade 220, it is a thinner yarn so it felts very quickly (i took it out before the first agitation cycle was even done, and it creates a nice fabric, not as bulky as other felting i've done and not fuzzy at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tere
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2004 01:35:07 PM »

Hi there,
At my LYS the other day, the owner showed me a bag that was felted and it was made of several different yarns, even hemp. She said you can do this (when the bag's complete) and it works, but you will see a difference here and there in terms of texture because since some wools (or hemp) don't felt as well, they get "lodged" in there but they create little bumps. I liked it, myself. I thought it added interest. I've never felted...i'm afraid of ruining something... Undecided

Tere
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Your Hair with Gel
How to Style Your Hair in Liberty Spikes
How to Style Your Hair Into a Messy Bun
How to Style Your Hair Into a Modern Knot
How to Style Your Hair in a Topknot
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...