A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,490
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: All About Felting  (Read 32213 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

peatbogfaery
« on: November 16, 2003 12:46:20 PM »

i read somewhere that you can felt old jumpers and the like in a washing machine... does anybody know how - eg. tempreture and stuff?  do you have to put soap in, if so what kind?....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's not my curves that I dislike, it's the folds and ripples."
simone
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003 06:37:52 AM »

Hi!
I actually just felted for the first time. It's quite a process, but it probably depends a lot on how big the items you're working with.

With smaller items you can just do it in a sink. Soak the item in very hot water, add a little wool soap (you can always get this in yarn stores), and agitate it. It will begin to shrink and felt.

You can also machine wash--fill the machine with very hot water and let it soak for a little while. Then let the cycle begin and stop it before it starts to spin. You might have to do this repeatedly (during my project I did this about 7 times!). Always check how the process is going so that you can monitor how much it's shrinking.

Here's a guide:
http://knitting.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dimensional.com%2F%7Egfwsheep%2Ffelting%2Ffelt.html

I know some people also use their dryer, but I've never done that.

Good luck!
-Simone
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*chickadeesimone.livejournal.com* www.chick-a-dee.com * www.bazaarbizaare.org * www.magpie-store.com*
volupta
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004 02:55:10 AM »

Hey all,

another felting post :-)

I want to make a felted bag but I'd like to use lots of different yarns. This would be hard to swatch first, of course. I don't really want to felt it that much, just a bit to make it less floppy.

1) Will felting something a bit to make it less floppy work? Or do I have to go the whole hog until everything is totally fuzzed together?

2) Could I do it by hand in hot water at all, for more control? Or will this take forever/crustify my hands?

Thanks!

V.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004 06:20:16 PM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004 09:09:48 AM »

I've never felted before, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

It seems to me that if you used different colors of the same type of yarn, you shouldn't have too much trouble with them felting up differently.  

Alternatively, you could do it sort of patchwork-y.  Knit up the different kinds of yarn as separate pieces, felt them, then sew them together.  This way, you can make up swatches of all the different kinds of yarn and see how they felt up.  Then you adjust the size of your pieces and knit accordingly.  also, isn't one of the points of felting that it won't fray afterwards?  So you should be able to trim pieces if they come out too big.

anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.  anyone with actual experience in this felting madness want to add theirs?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
volupta
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2004 08:07:53 PM »

haha sorry, I am a dork, I put this thread in the wrong forum (it was meant to go in the future projects!).

But... I tried felting a little swatch by hand last night, and it worked really well. I used hot tap water with a bit of washing machine powder and swished it around for about ten minutes. I rubbed it in my hands and squeezed it and 'generally agitated' it and it did fuzz up quite nicely. The stitches are still a little defined, but that's just what I wanted. So, I guess it works, but maybe totally felting a piece would take too long by hand.

Cheers,
V.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PrincessPeach

No, I'm not really a princess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004 05:46:45 PM »

I keep reading about felting, but I'm not sure what it is and how to do it?  And why?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm sorry, but your princess is in another castle!
ziza
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004 07:03:14 PM »

there's a really good article on felting/fulling at http://knitty.com

Felting is basically interlocking fibres together. True felting is usually done with felting needles.

The felting you're probably thinking of is fulling, and is done with animal fibres, particularly wool. By shocking the fibres with temperature extremes and/or agitation, the texture of the fabric can be changed into a denser fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittykat
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004 11:16:47 AM »

There is also a really good book called Knit One, Felt Too.  Although it is correct that what you are talking about is 'fulling', many, many people use the terms interchangably--not that it's right, mind you, but if you're searching for information it might help to know that so you don't get confused.

I just had my first felting/fulling experience and it is very fun.  My mom and I made these darling little bags from www.sarahsthreads.com  We made them together and then felted them.  Fulled them.  Basically what you do is knit it up huge, then stick it in a pillowcase and put it in the washer with hot water.  Check it every few minutes and dunk it in some cold water.  This worked very well for us and it didn't take long.

Enjoy!
Kat
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PrincessPeach

No, I'm not really a princess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004 04:29:56 PM »

Thanks for all the info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm sorry, but your princess is in another castle!
sbub

I'm not a turtle!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004 06:18:21 PM »

I am really keen to try felting but i have a front loader. I was wondering if it is possible to do in a front loader and if anyone has done it, if there is anything i need to know.
THANKS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon G10: Set for Museum Scene
Canon G10: Set for Macro/Close-up Scene
Canon G10: Set for Landscape Scene
Canon G10: Set for Kids/Pets Scene
Canon G10: Set for Indoor Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...