A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: vegetarianism?  (Read 852 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chelsea star
I LOVE YOU!

something saurus.

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2005 12:26:10 PM »

so im going veg. but im really afraid that my mom wont like the idea. i look to my fellow crafsters as fake best friends. what should i do?Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carry their little bodies to the cemetary ever so gently, please don't let their necks crook towards the ground
americandemockracy

Misanthropic, you got it.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005 12:43:10 PM »

Talk it over with your parents. At first my parents didn't agree, but after I reasoned with them and we had a long conversation about it, they were very supportive.

DO NOT just stop eating meat. Get their support, read a book about it, make sure you're getting plenty of iron/protein (you should be fine if you stick to fake meats, but just eating bread/salad/veggies isn't enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://javastain.etsy.com is now open!

Come check us out for period goodness!
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005 01:09:54 PM »

Reason with your parents, tell them that this is something you really need to do to be able to feel well, and get some backup facts about what veg.food is perfectly good substitution for meat. (protein wise etc) Being well read is the best way to win any argument. Also, you could start off with being lacto-ovo vegetarian (still eats whatever animal product that doesn't mean an animal has to die, i.e. eggs and milk and so on), that's always more acceptable so to speak. Maybe even only gradually go vegetarian. Start with no red meat for example, and then work your way out of eating chicken, and then fish... (if you're not going for fish-eating semi-veg ofcourse)

Pro's about being veg:
Most major food-diseases are in meat (mad cow disease, salmonella, etc)
Red meat is one of the major causes of heart failure (except for being so fat that your heart just stops)
And of course, just think of all the beautiful animals who's death you won't have any part in as a veg Wink

There are a lot of great fake meats, but you can also just check out what ingredients are used for most of them. Lentils and beans are usually the main ingredient which makes the fake meat contain as much "good-for-you" things as meat does, but it's waaay cheaper than the finished substitutes.

Oh, and a good addition is also to start cooking all your food yourself if your parents aren't up for cooking veg meals Roll Eyes My cousins had to do that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
chelsea star
I LOVE YOU!

something saurus.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005 01:13:12 PM »

thanks guys! i talked it over, its totally cool with them as long as my mom doesnt have to cook 2 meals  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carry their little bodies to the cemetary ever so gently, please don't let their necks crook towards the ground
brookem
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005 04:38:46 AM »

my mom had the same attitude when i went vegge 4 years ago. see this as a good chance to learn how to cook for yourself. go and get the book "food for a small planet"- the recipes are yummy and simple. i would also suggest that you start eating high protein pulses (lintils, beans etc) and cereals (quinoa), and yoghurt with active cultures. when you stop eating meat, you deprive a large amount of your intestinal flora of their food source (animal proteins) and its important to make sure the right time type replace them (....ick). are you still eating eggs? i would- just make sure they are produced in a chicken-friendly way.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
chelsea star
I LOVE YOU!

something saurus.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005 01:25:35 PM »

yup yup yup, our eggs were always chicken friendly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

absentmindedfan

Have You The Brainworms?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005 01:48:47 PM »

Get their support, read a book about it, make sure you're getting plenty of iron/protein (you should be fine if you stick to fake meats, but just eating bread/salad/veggies isn't enough

You can get all the protein you need (a tiny amount, most people eat way too much) from soya/kidney/etc beans, and rice. For iron eat plenty of green leafy vegetables, seeds and nuts. You dont need meat for the intestinal cultures, your body will find a state of equilibrium after a while. Eat as huge a variety of vegs and fruits as you can and it'll give you plenty of the vitamins you need, but if you're worried take a vegetarian multivitamin. Try and drink orange or rcanberry juice with dinner as Vit C helps you absorb iron easier.

Read books on vegetarianism and veganism to get knowledgeable about your choice, you may well wish to turn vegan after a while which isn't that hard and is healthier and more eco-friendly than even vegetarianism. The more info you have the healthier you can be, and the better you can argue!
I reccommend 'The Food Revolution' by John Robbins, that book changed my life.

Done properly you can have a lovely varied healthy diet, much more exciting than meat and 2 veg!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting: Better than heroin, cheaper than crack!
boywonder

Oh I've got all the courage, I'll ever need.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005 08:25:36 PM »

Like those above have said, don't just decided to do it overnight. Read as much as you can, look for recipes online or in books and join a few message boards for support. Be prepared to put up with flack from parents/friends/co-workers, but don't worry it will subside. I've been a vegetarian since January and I don't miss meat at all, I've actually shared some of my veggie-food with others and received great feedback.

A website I frequent quite a bit is www.vegweb.com

Enjoy being a vegetarian!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chelsea star
I LOVE YOU!

something saurus.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005 01:53:11 PM »

thanks! i didnt just do it overnight, ive researched it and stuff. the only thing i didnt know were recipes, so my mom said shell make me dinner/make a vegge friendly meal for a week until i find a site or book i can stick to
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005 04:40:09 AM »

there's an okay thread here on craftster with a ton of vegetarian recipies Smiley go to the cooking forum and look for "vegetarian recipie" or something. Vegetarian something. Hehe.
In sweden we have a site called vegan.nu where they have a ton of recipies, maybe there's something similar in english? You can always google for "vegetarian recipies" or something.
Unfortunately my all time favorite vegetarian cookbook is swedish, or I'd give you the name and stuff...

PS. most of the food me and my boyfriend eat are just normal everyday meals, with meat substitutes... soy burgers, soysausage, soyballs, minced quorn, quorn filets.. instead of chicken, for example to make chicken a la king! Or woks of various kinds (you can throw anything in a wok..) or other similar things. Take your favorite recipies with meat and see if you'll be able to make the exact same thing with meat substitutes, if it's not too expensive.. it makes for an easy start
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005 04:44:05 AM by Melladh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Digital Dressing Room: Hardwired
United States in Style: New Mexico
5 Ways To Wear A White Dress After Labor Day
Fashions To Help Your Kids Rock The New School Year
How to Wear Sheer Fashions This Fall
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...