A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,707
Currently Running With Scissors:
729 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 100 Journal Project  (Read 3563 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

princessblueberry
« on: October 17, 2005 11:05:33 AM »

After reading another thread
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=3706.new#new
I was thinking we could do a 100 journals project kinda like
http://www.1000journals.com/index.php?view=Home

Journals would be sent along randomly (you don't tell the recipent) as you particiapte in Craftster Swaps.  Sighnup would actualy be for who creates/starts the journals. . .whom ever starts it recieves it back in the end.

We could do this severyal ways depending on intrest. . .

1) Say only 10 people sighned up to start/creat the journals each would start 10 (slowly, say over the next year)

2) Each one started each by a different person

3) 25 participats each starts 4 journals. . .

Either way 'sighnups' stay open till all are claimed/started.  Journaly are passed to swappers with positive feedback only (to avoid getting lost). . .and journals would travel as suprises along with a curent swap you send out.

Being more of a project than a swap I'm not sure how of if ther would be feedback. . .I guess the first time out they could go as a swap. . .to the other journal starters.  Ideas? Yea? Nay? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strangers are just family you have not met yet. . .
~Mitch Albom

wist...http://www.wists.com/princessblueberry
shylitlegoddess
Jill of most trades

Why is there bacon in the soap??

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005 11:09:52 AM »

It's an interesting idea. I like it.

I'm waiting for the altared book/traveling jornal to get to my house so I can work on it. Yet, I don't have any feedback because I'm waiting on my current swap partner to receive her package.

Still, I'd love to join.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hubbyoed

I don't like the Cyclops

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005 11:13:33 AM »

i'll admit that's a neat idea, but sort of confusing. Would the people receiving the journals have signed up? I mean, I know I wouldn't be totally willing to work on it if it just showed up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

remisica

Perception is a vicious cycle. Groar!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005 01:35:14 PM »

oh, i've hear of that project before, it rocked my world, and but it only passed through my country 2 years ago.  Sad

i think you mean that each person starts one journal to pass along, and recieves from others? so if ten were to sign up, each would start his/her own journal, and then send it along to be sent through the nine other crafters, after which the original person recieves it? ten journals in circulation?

i see a way this could work.. as above, right, we have sign ups, and then its closed to anyone else. so it'll be contained. then we'd buy similar books to use, do the first few pages, and sent on. the organiser would send the address to each person, in random order. he/she sends to person A, who crafts it for a few pages, gets address for next person in the swap, and send it to B. and so on, til, the ninth person finishes and sends it back to the original crafter, who would have a priceless keepsake! it'll have to be a long swap, and there's be a feedback for everytime the person sends back out, like in the 6 months swap.

well i'm wordy today. Grin i love this idea, i'd do it if we had a big crafting window!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look for me in the white forest, hiding in a hollow tree.
princessblueberry
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005 06:18:34 PM »

oh, i've hear of that project before, it rocked my world, and but it only passed through my country 2 years ago.  Sad

i think you mean that each person starts one journal to pass along, and recieves from others? so if ten were to sign up, each would start his/her own journal, and then send it along to be sent through the nine other crafters, after which the original person recieves it? ten journals in circulation?

i see a way this could work.. as above, right, we have sign ups, and then its closed to anyone else. so it'll be contained. then we'd buy similar books to use, do the first few pages, and sent on. the organiser would send the address to each person, in random order. he/she sends to person A, who crafts it for a few pages, gets address for next person in the swap, and send it to B. and so on, til, the ninth person finishes and sends it back to the original crafter, who would have a priceless keepsake! it'll have to be a long swap, and there's be a feedback for everytime the person sends back out, like in the 6 months swap.

well i'm wordy today. Grin i love this idea, i'd do it if we had a big crafting window!

We could do it that way. . .right now I'm just  in brain storm mode.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Mitch Albom

hubbyoed

I don't like the Cyclops

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005 08:29:51 PM »

yeahhh i like remisica's idea, excpet instead, i'd do it so you have 11 people & send it off with only the cover done & then all the sections or pages or however long each contribution would be done by everyone else. That way it's other artwork. Maybe adding in yours last. Hm. Anyway, if it's like this, I am definitely in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

princessblueberry
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005 09:08:04 PM »

yeahhh i like remisica's idea, excpet instead, i'd do it so you have 11 people & send it off with only the cover done & then all the sections or pages or however long each contribution would be done by everyone else. That way it's other artwork. Maybe adding in yours last. Hm. Anyway, if it's like this, I am definitely in.

Since that seems to be the consencis we'll do it that way. . .so if we all start off with 100 pages in each journal you would get to do 9 pager per journal. . .with 11 participants.

Do you guys and gals want to start this soon or wait till after New Years?

I was thinking we'd have a once a month mail date, say the last day of each month. . .and we could send sooner if it was ready.  That way it is not rushed and you still have time when tests (for thoes in school) and life's little emergencies pop up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Mitch Albom

remisica

Perception is a vicious cycle. Groar!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005 11:02:10 PM »

Grin glad i helped. i still think that doing that first few pages of ur own journal would give others something to work with, a theme, but that's just me. i prefer sign ups to be late too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look for me in the white forest, hiding in a hollow tree.
Strat_Sista
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005 11:19:06 PM »

i am definitely definitely in for this. who wants to be the main organiser and such?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

princessblueberry
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005 12:52:17 AM »

i am definitely definitely in for this. who wants to be the main organiser and such?

Me. . .looks like we may be waiting till after the holiday though. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Mitch Albom

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005 10:44:09 AM »

I like the idea of waiting until after the holiday.  (Because by then I'll be done with my first swap, and then I can participate!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
beanblossom
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005 04:15:36 PM »

I'm interested in this swap!  I think it sounds like a neat idea.  I like the idea  of the person that starts the journal starting a theme for that journal so that when people recieve it they have some direction and also when the person gets it back it will have even more meaning for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you live each day of your life. -Jonathan Swift
CatyX
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005 04:24:31 PM »

Sounds fun
THIS ROCKS   Logged
3_Lips

I like to knit and sew and do paper crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005 09:46:36 PM »

definately definately count me in Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beans
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005 10:05:44 PM »

If you started it in January, you could have it so that it is sent out on the first of each month, then there would be an easy to remember deadline. The signups could be in January, with the first originals sent on Feb 1st. I would also love to do this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessblueberry
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2005 11:26:54 AM »

If you started it in January, you could have it so that it is sent out on the first of each month, then there would be an easy to remember deadline. The signups could be in January, with the first originals sent on Feb 1st. I would also love to do this!

Yep that's the idea. . .may start the sighnups a bit eairlier tough just cause I'm getting antsy. . .starteing to get my journal ready  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Mitch Albom

TalkAboutLush
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2005 11:34:06 AM »

So much fun! I've actually been trying to get one of the '1000 journals' forever and it's impossible!! I'm so excited for this!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mjadams
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2005 03:50:35 PM »

i woud love to do this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what the fred savage is going on with you?
craft_t_chic
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2005 06:42:48 PM »

Ohhh....I'd really like to be involved with this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your promo stickers...your fave local band, your etsy shop, your zine, a sticker you picked off a bar wall, or even bumper stickers! I'm covering a table & need stickers! PM me!

http://www.wists.com/craft_t_chic

Free gift with every purchase!
www.crafttchic.etsy .com
PinkBalletShoes
...Oh, she's a crafty one, she is...

.:Drama Queen.. in the most literal sense:.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2005 06:52:35 PM »

That would be soo cool! Let me know when this opens!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Millions of peaches, peaches for me. Millions of peaches, peaches for free- Look out!-
TalkAboutLush
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2005 04:05:06 PM »

So....are we talking like RIGHT after the holidays or a while after the holidays? hehe I'm a particularly impatient person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessblueberry
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2005 04:09:31 PM »

Just after New Years. . .but don't let that stop you from starting your journal.  I've already got one picked out and am working on a few pages in my theme  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Mitch Albom

beanblossom
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2005 06:38:13 PM »

I'd like to start working on my journal over break.  (well in theory I'll have time, but we will see)  But I didn't know if it was decided for sure what we will be doing.  100 pages?  And we workon the first 7 pages?  I'm really looking forward to this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

princessblueberry
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2005 11:54:42 PM »

I'd like to start working on my journal over break.  (well in theory I'll have time, but we will see)  But I didn't know if it was decided for sure what we will be doing.  100 pages?  And we workon the first 7 pages?  I'm really looking forward to this!

We'd talked about 100 pages but I was thinking of changing that to anywhere between 100 & 50.  Some may not want to do a whole 9 pages and I'd like to have some leftover pages to work in when mine gets back. . .

100 pages woud = 9 pages per person 1 left over
50 pages could = 4 pages per person and 4 pages left over

Just to get a concensis. . .here are so questions for you all:

Do you want your journal full when it arrives home or have room to add at the end?
Would you prefer 50 page jourhnals, 100 page journals, or a no so decisive anywhere inbetween thoes two?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Mitch Albom

sarahjayne

Pondering.....

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2005 06:28:12 AM »

I'm always a bit dubious about travelling journals because only one person ends up with it. This idea is amazing, i'd definately be in, although I am in England!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and sings it back to you when you forget the words.

I have me a wishlist thingy...see here

UK CRAFTERS!! Come to www.craftermath.co. uk Help us change the world
TalkAboutLush
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2005 02:47:41 PM »

So...in the journal, do we write things that are craft related?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beanblossom
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005 07:39:44 PM »

I really liked the idea that everyone one starts a journal and gets it back at the end.  I don't care if there are any blank pages by the end.  I also like the idea of the journal you start having a theme so people have a direction to go when they write/craft on the pages.  As for the number of pages, I think either 50 or 100 sound fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

princessblueberry
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2005 07:35:04 AM »

No, it does not have to be craft related. . .kinda like http://www.1000journals.com/ they have pictures but we get to set a theme for our journal. I.E. my theme is asian/martial arts. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Mitch Albom

TalkAboutLush
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2005 12:34:37 PM »

No, it does not have to be craft related. . .kinda like http://www.1000journals.com/ they have pictures but we get to set a theme for our journal. I.E. my theme is asian/martial arts. . .

If they are themed journals then what happens if someone gets a journal and they don't have anything that goes along with the theme?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessblueberry
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2005 04:56:37 PM »

If they are themed journals then what happens if someone gets a journal and they don't have anything that goes along with the theme?

Erm, I've never had a problem with that when working with decos. . .so I hadn't thaught about that  Undecided  We'd always just hunted from images and gone from there if we did not have anything.

Maybe soneone else can host this swap as  it is getting a bit complicated for me. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Mitch Albom

TalkAboutLush
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2005 08:58:44 PM »

Just a couple suggestions...

If there were to be themes to the journals, maybe they could just be very general? For example - music, crafts, food, anything really as long as it's very general so that it can easily apply to everyone.

And you said to have it so that the people don't know that the journal is coming to them, I'm not sure that's such a good idea. I could be wrong but what if the journal gets sent to someone who doesn't want to participate in it? Or what if there are people who really want to be a part of it but don't get to because it wasn't sent to them? If you wanted it to be somewhat random maybe there could just be a master list of people who want to have it sent to them and the people can pick off of the list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katosphere
One little kitten who won't lose her mittens.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2005 12:17:23 AM »

This sounds cool...

Another possibility for introducing a less-contained aspect is:

1) Person A starts a journal, and writes on page 90 (if it's 100 pages) their name and address, and an explanation of the swap/project on the inside cover.
2) Person A, after doing their journaling, sends it to Person B, another person in the swap.
3) Person B, after journaling, finds someone they know who expresses an interest in participating, and sends them the journal.  (There could be a rule about how far from person B they have to live, if we're trying to cover as much ground as possible, or not.)
4) Person C does step 3, and so on.
5) When page 90 is reached, whoever has it sends it back to person A, who then posts about it on Craftster.

There is, of course, a distinct possibility that Person A will never see the journal again.  This can probably be lessened somewhat by putting a time limit on how long each person is supposed to have the journal (one week?), and by stipulating in the explanation that the journal should only be passed to someone who is serious about doing it.

And if Person A still never gets the journal back, well, at least s/he put some art out into the world.

Oo, oo!  And if Person A wants to, s/he can write in the journal that if a person who gets the journal wants to start her/his own version of the project, s/he can send it to Person A, who will make sure to pass it along.  It could be, like, a giant pyramid swap project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessblueberry
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2005 10:10:32 AM »

Here is what I'd planed. . .

100 journals with 99 participants aranged in groups of 11. 99 journals in groups of 11 and 1 random journal for the grand fanalie. . .

1 sends to 2
2 to 3
3 to 4
4 to 5
and so on
11 sends to 1

Each person gives a general theme (i.e. orential, crafts, dreams, hopes, religon and what not)  Each perticipant can choose the size of journal as long as it is 50 to 100 pages and ships easily.  Depending on the size and weather the participant want any pages left over they note weather the other participants have 2-9 pages avalible to work on in said journal.  When partners are assighned participants print the send out sheet witht the names and dates to send by (atleast once a month).  I'd start with the first swap group of 11 participants and see how smoothly that runs before hosting more that one group at a time. . .

. . .once the first 9 rounds are finished I'd start the 100th journal that anyone can sighnup to work on, without starting their own journal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Mitch Albom

shylitlegoddess
Jill of most trades

Why is there bacon in the soap??

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2005 10:15:40 AM »

I'm still interested, already have my journal (sans journaling). Just waiting on the go-ahead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TalkAboutLush
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2005 10:29:30 AM »

All the ideas sound good. Ultimately you can do it however you want, you're the organizer. Let me know when it starts up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beanblossom
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2005 09:29:46 AM »

I think your system sounds the best Princessblueberry.  It sounds the least fool proof and if the themes are general it could work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TalkAboutLush
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2005 06:33:54 PM »

Sooooo.....what's the verdict? Are we swapping?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pnk_elefant

tralalalaLALA.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2005 06:43:11 PM »

i'm liking this, but i'm confused.  sorta.
so what goes into the journals?  art, stories, diary entries?  is it basically just a whole lot of anything?

let me know when this starts up please =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It takes a crane to build a crane
It takes two floors to make a story
It takes an egg to make a hen it takes a hen to make an egg
There is no end to what Im saying..."
-Life is Wonderful, Jason Mraz
TalkAboutLush
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2005 07:41:22 PM »

I think there are going to be themes to the journals andyou put anything you want in there as long as it goes along with the theme....i think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juniperthimble
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2005 10:24:26 PM »

This sounds so cool! I love making creative journals. I would really like to be included in this swap when it begins. My mind is full of ideas for it! It sounds like it will work well with groups of eleven.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juniperthimble
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2005 10:39:17 PM »

How would feedback work for this swap? It would be my first, and I know I can't do more than one swap until I've gotten posative feedback from the first. since the swap may last almost a year, I want to make sure I will have the option of joining other swaps sometime next year....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessblueberry
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2005 11:14:21 PM »

Sooooo.....what's the verdict? Are we swapping?

Yes, I was going to start the swap after New Years but why wait?  I'll set it up now. . .

i'm liking this, but i'm confused.  sorta.
so what goes into the journals?  art, stories, diary entries?  is it basically just a whole lot of anything?

let me know when this starts up please =)

Any and all of the above. . .

How would feedback work for this swap? It would be my first, and I know I can't do more than one swap until I've gotten posative feedback from the first. since the swap may last almost a year, I want to make sure I will have the option of joining other swaps sometime next year....

I can note in Organizer Comments that you sent but can not leave the Positive Feedback in the Participation Status till all journals are home to their starter. . .so I probibly would not recomend this as a first swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Mitch Albom

SoonFamo-Artiste
Addict To Crafts.

I am crafty obsess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2005 11:30:19 PM »

So, are ya doing it to random people or is everyone signing up and you are putting their name and address in order like say u was the first one, u send yours to the second person on the list, and so on, and for the second person, they send theirs to the third person on the list, you know like a big circle, I'm confuse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessblueberry
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2005 12:00:11 AM »

So, are ya doing it to random people or is everyone signing up and you are putting their name and address in order like say u was the first one, u send yours to the second person on the list, and so on, and for the second person, they send theirs to the third person on the list, you know like a big circle, I'm confuse.

Each journal will have a list of who to mail to and dates to mail by. . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Mitch Albom

princessblueberry
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2005 12:12:35 AM »

Ok, sighnups here we come!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=69563.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Mitch Albom

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Product Review: Agadir Argan Spray Oil
Top Hair Resolutions for the New Year
DIY: How To Make Creaseless Hair Ties And Head Bands
How to Get a 1940s Wave
How To Get Big Beachy Waves With A Curling Wand
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...