A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
412 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Punkin Scarf Tutorial  (Read 13630 times)
Tags for this thread: scarf , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

myloveasdeep
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 17, 2005 09:11:28 AM »

This autumnal beauty of a scarf is being modeled by my own feline punkin, Alex The Cat. It's not so totally original, since I found the stitch pattern here: http://www.nurhanne.com/crochet/stitches2.html

So here's what you do:

Materials:

Bulky Yarn (how many yards? I'm afraid I have no idea, not being the type who measures out how much yarn I'm using. I recycled a sweater for the yarn, it's a pumpkin-colored bulky acrylic/ramie blend.The scarf took up half a small knit sweater. If you were using, say, Lion Brand Homespun, I'd say a skein and a half.)

A J hook.

Make a chain as long as you want your scarf to be, because this scarf is worked horizontally. My chain was about five feet long.

Stitch pattern:

Base row: 1 dc in 2. ch from hook, * miss 3 ch, (3 tr, 1 ch, 3 tr) in next st, miss next 3 sts, 1 dc in next st. repeat from * to end of row, Turn with 3 ch.

1. row: Yoh, insert hook in first tr and draw up thread, yoh and draw though 2 loops, repeat for each of next 2 stitches (= 4 loops on hook), yoh and draw though all 4 loops. * 3 ch, 1 dc by inserting hoook under 1 ch between clusters of prev row, 3 ch, 1 'unfinished tr (as previously) in each of the 3 tr in row below, miss the dc, 1 'unfinished' tr in each of the next 3 tr (= 7 loops on hook), yoh and draw through all 7 loops. Repeat from * to end of row, ending with 1 'unfinished' tr in each of last 2 sts, yoh and draw through all 4 loops, 1 tr in last dc. (In subsequent rows this tr is worked in the top turning ch). Turn with 3 ch.

2. row: 3 tr in the st that 'closes' the 3 tr in row below, * insert hook in ch under the dc from previous row and work 1 dc, ( 3 tr, 1 ch, 3 tr) in st that 'closes' the 6 tr. repeat from * to end of row, ending with 3 tr in the st that 'closes' the 3 tr, 1 tr in in turning ch. Turn with 3 ch.

3. row: * 1 unfinished tr in each of first 3 tr, miss 1 dc, 1 unfinished tr in each of next 3 tr, yoh and draw through all 7 loops, 3 ch, 1 dc by inserting hoook under 1 ch between clusters of prev row, 3 ch. repeat from * to end of row, but finish by working 1 tr in the turning ch. turn with 2 ch.

4. row: * ( 3 tr, 1 ch, 3 tr) in st that 'closes' the 6 tr, 1 dc in dc before next cluster. Repeat from *, but finish with 1 tr in turning ch.

Now, one long side of the scarf is scalloped and one is flat, right? So you want to cut your yarn, reattach it on the beginning corner of the flat side, and work row 4 on the flat side. End off. Do a row of sc on each short end of the scarf, add tassels, and you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/myloveasdeep/

Her dirty paws and furry coat,
She ran down the forest slope.
The forest of talking trees,
They used to sing about the birds and the bees.
The bees had declared a war,
The sky wasn't big enough for them all.
ttchica78

Left handed hooker

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005 09:50:01 AM »

That is NICE!
I'm doing a scarf swap and might use this since it's so pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skitterflex
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005 10:13:27 AM »

This is a gorgeous color. I'm glad you posted it. I've been drooling over some pumpkin colored yarn forever and now I finally have an excuse to go buy it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://duckfoot.esy.com -- bright and bold accessories for the odd duck
justwantacraft
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005 06:04:18 PM »

Very Beautiful and nice cat. Thanks for posting tutorial too
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovemyff
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005 07:44:46 PM »

Your cat looks like some regal queen with that scarf around her. It's gorgeous. Thanks for the tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jakesgirl
Lexi

I play with art.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005 09:11:44 PM »

You did a really good job on it! I love the color. I might have to try making one. Cute cat, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you really sure that a floor can't also be a ceiling?
-M. C. Escher
olenka

if i can't dance, i don't want your revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005 11:01:31 PM »

That scarf is lovely, great texture and colour. Great job. My cat decided to kill all of my scarfs, i guess he doesn't like the whey they attack my throat Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

caflygrl
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005 12:03:04 PM »

Wow I love that scarf! It just screams autumn! It's like those fancy scarves that I see in Lord and Taylor and think I can make. Now I can with your mini tute! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R3n331
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007 06:02:43 PM »

that is so beautiful, Wonderful Job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007 06:18:31 PM »

aww so cute.  Thats a great color and the stitch pattern is pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
MyDestny
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007 02:06:08 PM »

Has anyone tried making this scarf yet? I'm having the worst time trying to get it right. I got through the chain and did the base row but I think it's backwards when I look at the picture. When I'm done with it, my stitches fan out like an open accordian fan because it says to put the 3 tr, 1 ch, and 3 tr again all into one stitch. Can that be right?Huh Or do you put them in 7 chain stitches (not just one)?

Also, row 1 seems screwed up to me as well. it says to yoh and then insert hook into the first tr and draw another loop through. Once you do this for 4 of the tr from the below row, the directions say you will only have 4 loops on your hook but I had like 9! The one I started with plus the 8 I added by yarning over AND pulling a loop through for each stitch.

Help PLEASE!!! I love this scarf and really want to get it to work!

Thanks,

Kim
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...i finished off the rest of the ice cream so i expect to be having another butt in the morning!!

www.etsy.com/GeneriOnline
http://www.generionline.com
SomethingSweet
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007 02:46:19 PM »

Aww, your punkin is so cute!!  (and the scarf is beautiful too)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
saralea
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007 04:03:14 PM »

I love this scarf too!!  It's gorgeous!  When I went to the Nurhanne site to look
at the stitch patterns there, I saw that she uses British crochet terms.  (It's the Harlequin pattern here http://www.nurhanne.net/filatim/crochet/p2.html  I believe.) 

So I think this pattern will need translating into American terms (unless you usually use British terms.... in which case I'm not a good enough crocheter to be able to tell you where you might have gone wrong!  Undecided)

To see a chart comparing British and American terms, you can go here
http://crochet.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=crochet&cdn=hobbies&tm=14&f=00&su=p445.92.150.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/includes/pinnestr.php
and click on the Crochet Terms Chart link.

Hoping this helps, and I'm glad you posted your question because it made me check!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MyDestny
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007 03:07:24 PM »

I'm still lost! The terms that the pattern uses seem to be the same for british and american. I just think the counting is wrong or I'm just interpreting the whole thing wrong. I think the wording just isn't clear enough for me. Abviously it's me that's not understanding it.

But if anyone else does try this, please let me know if you get it to work correctly. I did send her a not on her blog so I will see if she responds.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...i finished off the rest of the ice cream so i expect to be having another butt in the morning!!

www.etsy.com/GeneriOnline
http://www.generionline.com
myloveasdeep
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008 10:18:55 AM »

I'm sorry you're having such trouble...it's so long ago that I can't really remember  how to explain it, but I know it's basically a big repeat of a stitch called Catherine's Wheel. Maybe if you found another set of instructions for it it would make more sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

foreversandals
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008 10:51:24 AM »

I made two of these using the pattern. And I used it assuming it was American terms.
Where precisely are you having troubles?

I do recall it looking weird after the base row, but I worked through it and it came out fine.

As for the yoh, you're basically doing part of a double crochet, but leaving one loop on the hook each time so that you can thread them together into one stitch.

Does that make sense/help?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs:
- Crochet: Baby Blanket
- Scrapbooking: Ongoing scrapbook
- Body: Creating a baby!!

http://www.wists.com/foreversandals
http://beautythroughthelens.wordpress.com [my photoblog]
Infinite Annie
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008 03:03:55 PM »

Beautiful scarf, myloveasdeep!  The color and design are so nice.  Thank you so much for the pattern!

And thank you for the links saralea.  It is written with British terms and needs to be converted for those used to using U.S. terms.

Has anyone tried making this scarf yet? I'm having the worst time trying to get it right. I got through the chain and did the base row but I think it's backwards when I look at the picture. When I'm done with it, my stitches fan out like an open accordian fan because it says to put the 3 tr, 1 ch, and 3 tr again all into one stitch. Can that be right?Huh Or do you put them in 7 chain stitches (not just one)?

Also, row 1 seems screwed up to me as well. it says to yoh and then insert hook into the first tr and draw another loop through. Once you do this for 4 of the tr from the below row, the directions say you will only have 4 loops on your hook but I had like 9! The one I started with plus the 8 I added by yarning over AND pulling a loop through for each stitch.

Help PLEASE!!! I love this scarf and really want to get it to work!

Thanks,

Kim

How's it going Kim?  If you're used to using U.S. terms, be sure to write over the terms to avoid confusion.  The first row does fan out and you do work the (3tr, 1ch,3tr), or in the U.S., (3dc, 1sc, 3dc), into one stitch.

Then, like foreversandals writes above, you do partial doubles by doing a Yoh, insert in next stitch, draw up, Yoh and draw through 2 on the hook, each time leaving 1 stitch on the hook and repeating until there are 4 stitches on the hook and then you Yoh and draw through all 4 to complete.

I hope that helps.  Have you figured it out yet?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008 11:32:31 PM by Infinite Annie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
foreversandals
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008 04:21:03 PM »

Are you sure its in British terms?
I worked it assuming it was in US terms and it worked out perfectly for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs:

Infinite Annie
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008 09:07:55 PM »

Hmmm....sorry I overlooked your earlier post and contradicted you, foreversandals!   Embarrassed   Now that I think about it, I guess I wouldn't put any money on it being written in British terms.  Converting it to U.S. was just the only way I figured I'd be left with 4 posts on the hook.  Now, I'll have to try it like you did.  It must work either way?  The U.S. conversion just ends up more compact?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008 11:33:57 PM by Infinite Annie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Infinite Annie
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008 11:21:02 PM »

It does work either way!   Shocked  I worked the pattern like it was written for U.S crocheters and then I worked it like it was written in British terms and the only difference in appearance is the width of the rows.  Interesting!

And, now it finally occurs to me, (Doh!), to ask you, myloveasdeep,  if you wrote your pattern in British-anese, or in U.S.-anese?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008 11:30:39 PM by Infinite Annie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
michelleandherguitar
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008 05:57:05 AM »

woah. the weirdest thing happened. i was reading this post, and then i started smelling pumpkin, and then i got the strongest urge to make this scarf asap. coincidence? i think NOT.

Smiley

supercute modeling by your shmexy feline, BTW  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

foreversandals
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008 06:30:34 AM »

Don't worry about it Infinite Annie.

Once you started saying it was in British terms and I realized I did it in American, I figured that it had to work up both ways. Otherwise one of the two of us would have scarves that were messed up somehow.  Cheesy

I do await myloveasdeep's answer though.

And michelleandherguitar. Do make the scarf. It works up beautifully [in American or British terms]. I've given one of the ones I've made away and she loved it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs:

myloveasdeep
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008 06:54:16 AM »

Do you know, I have no idea? I used the instructions for Catherine's Wheel from a website...I think it might have been crochetpatterncentral. I'd bet American, personally.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Infinite Annie
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008 01:46:53 PM »

Well, it's a super pretty stitch pattern and I'm glad you got us all going on it!  I think working the pattern as if it's written in American terms makes you a scarf a whole lot quicker, because of the size of the triples.   Cheesy

Are you having any luck yet, MyDestny?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlemisspoof
http://www.www.wists.com/littlemisspoof

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008 04:40:49 PM »

I love the picture with your cat and "punkin".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It isn't dangerous to confuse children with angels."
Esjay82
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008 04:42:32 PM »

aww this is soo pretty! i like it lots! may go on christmas gift making list!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZellaBella
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008 03:32:22 PM »

make me want to drink spiced apple cider Smiley very pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bly
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010 09:00:00 PM »

I loved this scarf and decided to make it after reading the pattern, making it my
first official big crochet project. With some help from my sister-in-law I set out
with some yarn I had bought and saved over about a year ago and thought that
it would be perfect for it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
PosiTori
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010 07:11:24 AM »

I love it! I've always wanted to make a scarf! I think I'll choose this one Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Viewing Files in Bridge
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Introducing Navigation and Adobe Bridge
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using the Navigator Palette
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Scrolling the Page and Changing View Size
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using the Zoom Tool
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...