A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 307,986
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Home-made cleaning!!!  (Read 18856 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dahlea
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004 07:41:22 AM »

Here is a place to check out just how dangerous or safe your cleaning products are:
http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/index.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lauren
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2004 08:11:25 AM »

Not homemade, but very good cleanser that absolutely will not scratch stainless steel, or anything else, is Bon Ami cleanser. It comes in a container like Comet but it's not stinky or gross like that, and it's a little stronger than baking soda. The NIH website says it's very good. And it has a cute baby chick on the front!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pseudola

what was i saying?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2004 08:41:01 AM »

Anybody have any concoctions (or know something storebought) that can get ink stains out of leather (car interior)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Who Gives A Shirt?
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004 09:26:51 AM »

I'm glad to see someone posting this!  I'm a big fan of environmentally-friendly solutions, and have been use my own homemade laundry powder for a couple of years now.

The recipe is simple: equal parts borox, baking soda, washing soda and grated "pure soap".  The latter two can be found in most supermarkets' laundry aisles, but always high up on the shelves to push the brand-name, phosphorus-loaded detergents  Roll Eyes  I always use Sunlight pure soap, as it grates very easily and smells lovely and lemony.

Most of my friends scoff when I tell them there's grating involved, but it really doesn't take very long, and the rewards are worth the effort:  The final product winds up being very cost-effective, and does a great job on my clothes.  I only use 1/3 of a cup of the powder to do a load of laundry, where my old detergents generally called for a full cup or more.

My only caveat to anyone considering mixing up their own powder is that one of the ingredients (I think it's the borox) is very fine and tends to hang in the air if it's mixed or poured.  Best to have an extractor fan going or a mask on!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

==================
Who Gives A Shirt?
http://www.whogivesashirt.ca
==================
cynistr

Corporate Radio Sucks

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2004 10:59:49 AM »

White vinegar is such a fabulous cleanser - it also can be used in the garden - or at least on those pesky things that grow in the sidewalk cracks.  It will kill them as well as Round-Up.  (Be careful applying it to growing spaces though - it obviously raises the acidity level.) For those areas that you aren't trying to grow anything, it is a great solution.  I use a spray bottle and squirt the dandilions on grass tufts a few days in a row.  They die and you can pick them out easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So rested she by the tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.
joanieponytail

must make stuff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2004 09:52:08 PM »

To keep ants away, use boric acid, talcum powder, chalk or borax for a barrier.
Our kitchen used to suffer from major infestations of ants at least once a week for the first few months we lived there. I tried everything I could find that didn't involve poisons. Finally, I heard that ants hate mint, so I got one little 4" mint plant and planted it in the ground (not just in a planter box) under our kitchen window.
We lived there about 8 years and never had another ant problem.
I will tell you that mint really grows. After one year it had filled in an area about 10 sq. ft., but it was easy to just go in and pull up the excess to keep it reasonable well controlled. Plus it smelled wonderful and I smelled pretty good myself after doing it.

I know this won't help if you live in an apertment or such, but it worked for us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jesus loves me, this I know.
poorlittlefish
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2004 12:20:57 PM »

Along this same line-I have ants and I also have a kitty that eats anything he finds on the floor-Any suggestions as to how I can get rid of the ants without killing my cat?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RachOfTheJungle
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2004 08:53:32 PM »

If you mix powdered detergent with equal part sugar, the ants will bring it back to the nest and it should kill them along with the nest.

If you put something (like screen covering, potato sack or mesh) over a small, stablized dish of it large enough for ants to crawl through but too small for a meddling cat, your cat will be safe and the ants will be dead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rockin' knitting shirts I designed:

http://www.cafepress.com/stitchnsnitch
SarahFroggy
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2004 10:39:24 PM »

thanks for this post. was just thinking today that i needed some draino. and now i don't Smiley
runs to the kitchen for baking soda and vinegar..yay saving moneys
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dahlea
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2004 06:22:43 PM »

Here is a great website with tons of different recipes-even alternatives for aerosol sprays!

http://www.msue.msu.edu/genesee/natres/hhw.htm#whatishazard
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
We Can Do It!
Meatless Monday: Squash and Onion Galette
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...