A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP I need to make curtains  (Read 1757 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dust_bunny_of_doom
Boredom sometimes is a beautiful thing

I'm going to pout the heck out of you!

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2005 01:29:31 AM »

Hi all, i'm sorry, i dont know if this goes here but... i just moved into my very own first place with my bf  Grin but we don't have curtains, the window is quite big and i have never used a sewing machine, i would but i have no experience, so if someone could help me with a couple tricks of how to make a cool looking curtain, that'd be awesome. I guess i could try to sew it, i don't think it's super hard, anyway i like those ones with eyelets, maybe those are the easiest/cheapest for me to make since i don't have much of a budget. Well thanks to whoever answers in advance!

Alicia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dust bunnies of DOOM!... ohh so fluffy!!

Baila baila cucaracha baila baila!
josita
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005 06:26:57 PM »

!. Sheets. Most come with a convenient channel already there - no sewing required.
2. Salvation Army/Goodwill etc. Find old curtains, sheets, tablecloths. And church rummage sales almost always have a bunch of white sheers.
3. Do a search here on "curtains" and find instructions for making tab curtains and other options. Or check the library; books with pictures help!

For a cheap curtain rod, visit Home Depot and get copper tubing cut to the length you want.

Good luck!

j
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dust_bunny_of_doom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005 08:17:34 PM »

Thanks so much, you've been of great help! I think i will do my little search here  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005 09:20:25 PM »

Take any appropriate sized fabric, (sheets, tapestries, fabric, tablecoths, whatever you like that fits your window)  hem any rough sides using stitch witch, and hang with clip on rings. Quick, easy, fun! You can also sew hems and/or tab tobs, cord tops as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
josita
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005 08:32:16 AM »

Oh, yeah, another cheap curtain rod: bamboo poles. Our local garden store has six-foot poles for a dollar each! Get two big cup hooks for brackets, and you're in.

j
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dust_bunny_of_doom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005 04:17:10 PM »

Thanks girls Smiley i appreciate it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maehem

.glitz and glamour.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005 08:20:55 AM »

Oh, yeah, another cheap curtain rod: bamboo poles. Our local garden store has six-foot poles for a dollar each! Get two big cup hooks for brackets, and you're in.

Awesome idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 alyssamae
courtlet
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005 09:49:34 PM »

Fabric shower curtains are awesome.  I found one at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for like $20, I think.  I cut mine in two and sewed a seam up the raw edges to make two curtains but if your window is really big, you could also just buy two.  I also used those paper blinds that are pretty cheap ($5 or so at Target).  They let in a little light but keep out all peeping toms.  Grin  I wouldn't recommend them for a window that you will be opening and closing a lot as they are not very strong. 

The final product:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OCEANofAWESOME

Life, It's Just Something You Do

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005 11:08:05 AM »

If you don't know how to sew you can use a no-sew iron-on stitch.  That is what I used when I lived in a dorm and did not have access to a sewing machine.  I still use the curtains I made to this day. 
All you have to do is measure the size of your window.  Then add on 4 inches to the height of that measurement and 8 inches to the width; This will tell you what size and how much fabric you will need.  Walmart has a clearance table of fabric; it is very cheap and if you are willing to dig there are some good finds.  JoAnn's and Michaels and really any fabric store carry the no-sew iron on stuff.  It comes by the roll or sheet.  The best kind for doing curtains is the kind that comes by the roll used for seams, it is about 1-2 inches wide.  After buying all this stuff lay your fabric out.  Cut the fabric in half width wise.  This will be so you can open and close the curtain.  Then on each end fold it over 1.5 inches or so.  Iron on the no-sew stuff so that the folds stay in place and there are no rough ends.  Now buy 5 hooks.  I used those 3M sticky hooks.  Put one at each corner of the window, one in the middle of the window, and one on each side of the window.  The one on the side of the window is so when you want the curtain open you can bunch the fabric up and put it in the hook.  Now cut holes in the curtain where you put the hooks at the TOP of the window only.  The one in the middle is for both curtains to hang on.  You are now ready to hang up your new curtains.  You may need to add more hooks at the top depending on how big your window is so they do not gap as much.  I hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Next Time that Star Shoots Across the sky...(think amongst yourselves)
http://www2.gvsu.edu/~swanso01/
slone2601
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005 02:18:35 PM »

I have made curtains out of sheets before even though I know how to sew with a machine. The reason I used sheets was because I could get the exact color I wanted. I got pure white, cotton sheets and RIT dyed them. I think they look awesome. Good luck with yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Say Yes to 5-Minute Hairstyles for the Holidays
Easy Ways to Boost Hair Volume
How to Use Dry Shampoo
Tips For Smoothing Your Split Ends
How to Get a Chic Chignon Hairstyle in Under 5 Minutes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...