A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Late Wedding Gift for Secretive Brother and New Sis-In-law  (Read 797 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GreenWhimsy

My hosiery is bunching!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2005 07:48:34 PM »

Guess what happened during my brother, Pat, and his girlfriend's (Julia) visit, yhis after noon.
Well the long-time couple finally anounced to my mother, my dad, and myself that they have been married for the past 8 months.

Nice of them to fill us in, right?

Well, I feel like I should make them a wedding gift, or seperate gifts for the both of them, but I need some help coming up with ideas.

(^random picture of a sloth, to keep your interest. Iddnit cute?)

Alright, for background info, you should know that Pat and Julia are both 23-year-old college students. Pat studies Geology and Soil Science in Graduates school while Julia studies science and (mostly computer) art as an undergrad.
Pat likes a lot of cartoons, such as Futurama, Family Guy, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Space Ghost, and Spongebob Squarepants.
Julia's into fantasy stuff, like Fae, wizards, unicorns, etc. Some of her favourite movies are The Princess Bride, Legend, and  The Last Unicorn.
Both of them tried being vegan/vegetarian for about a year, but I'm not sure of their positions on the matter, anymore, as they've gone back to eating regular meat and other animal products. They like sushi and cereal (kind of random fact, I know Tongue)

So, that's all that I can think of. I don't sew, knit, or crochet, though I plan to try one or all of those arts, in the future. For now I do just about everything else to get by.
thanks for reading Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fcukluva
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005 11:13:25 PM »

Well it depends how long they've been living together, cos I know all newly-weds who move in together when they've got married and npt before, are desparate for anything that will make the house feel home-y. You could do them a painting and frame it, or some cushions, anything that should make the place feel a bit more like theirs. I think you should give them a joint present, because that's more special for newlyweds Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GreenWhimsy

My hosiery is bunching!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005 02:06:43 PM »

Well, they've been living together for about 2 1/2 years, now, so they're pretty much settled Undecided. I do think that they should have a joint gift, though. You're right - it seems to be the better option for newlyweds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fcukluva
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005 12:56:20 PM »

Hmm well if they've mostly got stuff then i dunno what you could get them  Huh
Maybe erm vouchers for a spa or something, so they can go away and relax together. If they're into that sort of thing. And it depends how much money you want to spend as well.
If you don't want to spend that much, maybe.. I'm not sure, all i can come up with is something for the house. Or like something cute like Mr & Mrs Dressing Gowns or something to show that they are now married Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
minouette
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005 02:45:29 PM »

Ok, the sloth worked. Smiley Now I feel like I need to dream up something useful for you.

typical wedding type ideas:
-his and hers towels (or robes as mentioned above), etched glassware, pillows, toilletteries, slippers, blankets
-housewares in general (even after 2.5 years, people that young usually need stuff); pots, pans, silverware, dishes, bath stuff, small nice items (i.e. splurge on something small so it too nice for them to buy themselves yet doesn't break the bank)
-stationary (Mr. & Mrs. ... or Pat & Julia or whatever)

Many of the above can be handcrafted or personalized with their interests (I don't know, maybe put a fairy on it or something).

Some thoughts based on stated interests:
-dictionary of earth science for him (as an earth scientist, I can tell you this, while not wedding-y is one of the best presents I ever got), jack knife (can't live without in the field)
-DVDs of the various listed movies/tv shows
-books on various interests

Oh, if you're artistic maybe a portrait of the two of them?

Personally, I might give my brother an address book with my own address already in it as a little reminder of how to contact me when he has news if he eloped and neglected to tell me for 8 months! and maybe some self-addressed stamped envelops and a phone card for good measure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
FIRST LOOK: Carolina Herrera - NYFW Spring 2014
FIRST LOOK: Christian Siriano - NYFW Spring 2014
Website Redefining Shopping For Conscientious Consumers
British Invasion
Objects of Desire: S&M-Inspired Accessories
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...