A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: POKEY WALLS HURT OKAY. new room, help puhleaze.  (Read 1050 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cutewhenyouscream
cocaine girly.

art school girl baby.

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2005 05:23:24 PM »

my room has practically been the same since the day i moved into it at the age of 6. pale pink walls, white framed bed etc etc. and as you have guessed, i changed Smiley. i did put some stuff in there, like a few posters and taped a bunch of shit on my walls but it still isn't me. i don't even know what "me" is yet but i know it isn't this haha. i recently went to a friends house and fell in love with her room. it was so awesome that it restarted that urge in me to get a change.

problem one: i'm gonna switch rooms with my brother. which means i get a pretty awesomely sized room. but the one thing that bugs me SO MUCH is that the walls are "pokey". there was something wrong with the insultion because normal dry wall wouldn't stick. the only way we could cover them was to use stucko [sp?] which makes the walls bumpy and when you rub it a little comes off. this sucks cause i put stuff on my walls and i wanna write on them too but i can't because of the texture.

SO

i wanna paint the walls a Violet. would a color like this make the room too closed? too dark? would it totally clash with the texture and be weird? its white right now.

problem two: i have a girly bed. which i hated since the day my parents bought it for me. its a single with white bars and bars on one side so its supposed to go against a wall. i was thinking about taking my mattress' and just sleeping on those but i wouldn't want my bed to be so close to the ground [ie; the major dirt]. i wanted to use this futon but its really big and would take up allot space. what could i do to fix this? i was thinking some thick pieces of wood and maybe milk crates would look cool, but would they be practical? hahah gotta love the dorm look Smiley.

i will hopefully post a pic of the room or a drawing soon. anything would be great. were renovating our basement so we sorta wanna finish all renovations at one time haha. thanks a bunch!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

insomniac.
josita
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005 07:21:53 PM »

When we painted a white "bumpy" wall sage green, it took longer than usual; covering all the bumps was tricky, and the material on the wall (not true stucco) sucked up paint unevenly. Still, it worked in the end.

If your room is small and you're thinking dark violet, consider doing two or three walls in that color and the rest in something lighter/brighter. (Creamy yellow?)

As for the bed--the typical Craftster question: can you paint it? Cover up the bars with padding and fabric to make a headboard-ish thing? Otherwise, the Salvage Sisters claim you can stack up wooden pallets and put a mattress or futon on top--haven't tried it.

Good luck, and have fun!

j
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cutewhenyouscream
cocaine girly.

art school girl baby.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005 08:31:01 AM »

When we painted a white "bumpy" wall sage green, it took longer than usual; covering all the bumps was tricky, and the material on the wall (not true stucco) sucked up paint unevenly. Still, it worked in the end.

If your room is small and you're thinking dark violet, consider doing two or three walls in that color and the rest in something lighter/brighter. (Creamy yellow?)

As for the bed--the typical Craftster question: can you paint it? Cover up the bars with padding and fabric to make a headboard-ish thing? Otherwise, the Salvage Sisters claim you can stack up wooden pallets and put a mattress or futon on top--haven't tried it.

Good luck, and have fun!

j

thanks. i've now considered the bigger walls to be more of a lighter purple and the two other smaller walls a bold violet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

insomniac.
cutewhenyouscream
cocaine girly.

art school girl baby.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005 08:31:39 AM »

I used to hold up my mattress and box spring with big cement blocks. And before that it was held up with big wooden blocks.  I think bed frames are pretty cheap though.

did using cement blocks and the wood work well?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

insomniac.
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005 02:36:40 PM »

i think you can probably find a plain bed frame for like $20.

as for the walls: what if you hung fabric/sheets instead of painting? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ana_Ng

There is more to life than increasing its speed.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005 10:34:30 AM »

It really depends on the shade of violet.  Are you looking for a light pastelly shade, or a more muted grayish shade, or a deep purple?  It is tricky.

I have a heck of a time picking paint colors.  It's so hard to get the color you see in your head.  Usually on the wall it ends up too light or too dark.  If you go to Glidden's website, they have a thing there that you can look at what any of their colors would like look in a room.  It was a huge help to me. 

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005 10:38:43 AM »

I'm a bit of a daredevil with color, and if you pick a color that makes you go "OOOH!!!" I think it usually works out fine. Be sure if you are painting with rollers to get the super thick fluffy covers for textured walls, and count on more paint that usual. And have FUN!!! Decoration your own bedroom the first time is a blast! (and every time after that, too!  Cheesy )
Also, consider things like fabric on the walls or hanging foamcore from the ceiling to mount your posters if you have trouble with nails/staples/whatever in the walls. And...maybe you can make a slipcover for the current bed and put on pillows to give it a "couch" look...use foam or batting to make it soft...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005 10:41:29 AM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
beckstraordinary
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005 11:07:51 AM »

As far as the bed, maybe you could weave a crapload of ribbons through the bars. It would give it a little more excitement and then still leave the bed in tact if you ever intend to pass the bed on to another little someone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the worst type of girl.
bkrimon
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005 11:26:10 AM »

Since the walls are rough & a little crumbly, could you install a piece of wooden moulding around the top of the room (or just high on the wall) and use that as a picture rail to hang pictures? 

If you wanted to write things on the wall, you could make your own chalkboards & hang them -- find interesting old picture frames, insert pieces of wood painted with chalkboard paint. 

That might cut down on poking holes in the wall if it's fragile, and allow you to create a look that's all your own & can be easily rearranged.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knot Scarves
How to Crochet Pom Pom Scarf
How to Crochet Sugar Cookie Candle Wreaths
How to Crochet Remembrance Poppies
Simple Ways to Decorate Pumpkins
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...