A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,775
Currently Running With Scissors:
367 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Voldemort can't stop the Crafting...  (Read 6805 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ongir
« on: October 16, 2005 09:24:22 AM »

For the Harry Potter Swap III, I did two pieces of needle work.  Since my partner got her package this week, I can finally post! (I had finished these about 3 weeks ago...)

First is a wrist band with Fawkes Dumbledore's Phoenix on it.  The design is from PotterPuffs by Naomi on livejournal (although I changed the main color to red instead of orange because the orange I had looked a bit wonky).  I choose Fawkes because my partner's favorite scene was when Harry proclaims that he is a "Dumbledore's man".   I thought it appropriate for a "Dumbledore's Woman".

This was my first time to really try to use the stitches to convey an idea.  The scanner didn't pick it up very well, but doing a short/long stitch really made it look like feathers.  Husband even commented so without any leading from me.  French knot for the eye, satin stitch for the beak and feet, split stitch for the outlines.   The wrist band itself was a terry cloth type, so it was interesting trying to get all the little loops to stay under my stitches.  I didn't use any stablizer because...well, I don't know why.... just didn't want to.

On a side note, I found that these kinds of wrist bands (I bought two for 50 cents at Michael's) are actually really nice for holding needles.  Not perpendicular to your wrists like the tomato kind, but parellel to your wrist.  They were thick enough I could put the sharp end in without it poking me or whomever when I needed to stop stitching and do something else... (fold laundry/pet cat/etc.). 

Second, I made a side bag that I also got from Michael's.  Since this was canvas, it was harder to work and didn't go as fast, but I'm rather proud of it.  It is certainly the most difficult thing I've ever attempted, I think with good results.

Gryffindor coat of arms, design from muggle.net.  Once again, I tried really hard to convey "fur" with short and long stitches shaped around the lion's body.  The diamonds are in satin, outline in split and stem stitch, red back ground in split.  I tried hard not to have break lines in the red, but failed.  The banner part was every "witch" way (hahaha..hmmm..) so it wouldn't look so straight laced.  I really like the HP world where things are  askew and curvy and not perfect in any way. 

Thanks for looking and reading my ramblings (I put a lot of thought into these and other things I sent.)

Shelley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boleyn

Queen Anne Lackhead

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005 10:39:14 AM »

Wow, those turned out great!!! You did a really nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chocolatecello
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005 10:45:17 AM »

amazing! they look gorgeous
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dontxstopxmexnow
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005 10:49:54 AM »

absolutely beautiful!  but you know what would be even cooler?  a whole set... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

:]
GhostAcademy
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005 02:40:32 PM »

I think they look great.  You can definitely see the texture from the stitches, especially in the lion's mane.  Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I read your manifestos and strange religious tracts.  You took me to your library and kissed me in the stacks.

http://www.ghostacademy.blogspot.com  http://www.onfirewithfireflies.blogspot.com
astryd
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005 03:02:37 PM »

Wow!!  Shocked

Those look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005 03:50:36 PM »

Nice job!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
aliciasjoy

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005 04:10:58 PM »

I'm so glad to get to see close ups.  I kept clicking on them in the gallery thread to try to get them to pop up bigger.
They are both so awesome.  It must have been so hard to let them go!
Beautiful work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shoegirl
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005 10:55:45 PM »

Awesome job! You should make something for youself to wear/take to the Harry Potter 4 movie when it comes out.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliel85
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Serial Crafter

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005 05:34:56 PM »

hey, I just wanted to let you know that my friends have been ooing and ahhing over the stuff all week (I was the person she sent the stuff to!!) and I'm even MORE impressed now that I see all the detail work you put into it.  I wish I could embroider like that...it's so fantastic!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Greg Sestero on The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room
Rachael Ray on Her Book Week in a Day
Kosslyn and Miller on the Trouble with Left/Right Brain
Allison Leotta: What Are You Reading?
Linda Ronstadt Talks About Her Career and New Memoir
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...