A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fabric bowl  (Read 4458 times)
Tags for this thread: fabric_bowl  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kristen MA
« on: May 10, 2004 10:04:46 AM »

Hi, I'm new here and I must say I've been very inspired by reading what everyone else has done!  I wanted to share a picture of the fabric bowl I made last night.  It was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to make some more.  It was kind of hard to get a good picture of it, but you get the idea!

http://www.virtual-stitcher.com/kristen/crafts/bowl

Kristen in MA
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010 11:32:45 AM by pixieval - Reason: removed broken pic links » THIS ROCKS   Logged
firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004 10:06:17 AM »

That's a really beautiful bowl!  Please post a tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
CyndiCat

Sunshine the wonder puppy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004 10:26:12 AM »

I second firehead4...we need a tutorial!  That is really beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Xiuxiu
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004 01:13:14 PM »

It is really beautiful!
I love the fabric that you used
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mizswim4him

yeah whatever..

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004 01:27:42 PM »

That is really cool! I wish I had one!  The fabric is also very nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scandibird
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004 01:34:55 PM »

ooh! that's fun! I've seen something similar at my mum's house but instead of being sewed together it had little ribbons attached to 'the sides' so you could tie them together and thus holding them up. I much prefer yours, it's more sculptural in a way! tute please..?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
klippedwingz

Are you a Llama, I asked my friend, Dave?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004 03:30:12 PM »

i was thinking the same thing!  I have one that the sides tie and it was called a bun warmer cuz the bottom had a slit to put a heated tile in.  I really like this one better!  very clever Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewoz
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004 07:01:01 AM »

i have this book and have tried this and mine certainly did not turn out like that  Huh it came out soooo awesome. how did you get the stitching so even ? and what type of thread did you use ? i was going to make some for the consignment shop i have my stuff in and got frustrated and have not attempted another one. i think it looks beautiful, well done.
i am also from mass - near the south shore , kind of - what about you , what part of the state do you live in ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kristen MA
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004 11:03:34 AM »

Thanks everyone for the kind compliments...I got the instructions for the bowl from a book called "Fast, Fun & Easy Fabric Bowls" by Linda Johansen.  Being new here I not quite sure of the rules for posting tutorials from bought patterns??  Basically you fuse a piece of fabric to both sides of a Timtex square (a kind of thick interfacing/stabilizer they use for baseball hat brims).  I did mine a 9" square.  Then you fuse a smaller square (mine was 3") on both sides in the middle and zig-zag around it.  Then you cut darts starting 1/8" from the point of each middle square to the edge, mine ended up going out to 1 1/2" at the base (the edge of the bowl).  Then you zig-zag the darts closed and zig-zag around the edge.  I zig-zag'd twice, once narrow and then with a wider stitch.  The trick is to use a very tight zig-zag to get that satin stith look (and to go really slow so it doesn't pucker)  I used just regular cotton thread - Coats & Clark I think. 

Sorry if those directions don't make much sense.  The book spelled it out very well and had great pictures!

Oh, sewoz - I'm from Springfield.

Kristen in MA
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewoz
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004 04:01:08 PM »

hey kristen,
  did you get ur stuff at wright's - i did. love that store , everyone is so helpful - especially the fabric section. oh so fun. i am nearer to boston - i live near norwood and canton. again , love that bowl . maybe i should have followed the directions and fused it  Cheesy. my attempt is sitting in the trash barrell , maybe i'll resurrect and try again. thanks for the insperation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ethnic Hair Straightening Tips
Ethnic Hair Natural Styling Tips
Tips for a Formal Short Hairstyle
Frizz Smoothing for Curly Hair
Frizz Smoothing for Straight Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...