A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
380 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Circular Shrug- created by keridana, julsey723, guessica, and others...  (Read 104774 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2005 12:03:12 AM »

Hi all!

I have just jumped into this because of all the pics of beautiful Finished Shrugs on this thread.... I have started knitting this today, its really simple, anyone want to join? Totally easy for a beginner! Here is the link to the thread that started the whole craze:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=45597.0

And a link the the pattern: (thanks mamaloo)
http://momcast.blogspot.com

If you have any questions about sizing, adjusting, just read through the thread, it has been going on awhile and all my questions got answered by reading it!  Wink Also PM me and I will help you through any thing you are not sure of.

I am a larger chested gal so my gauge and measurements are different from julsey723, this might help you to figure out yours.

Here are mine for all of you who are larger and maybe didn't consider this project:

Bust 43". Shoulder to Shoulder measurements: 23".
My gauge was 5sts to the inch in mock rib, so the math went like this:

23" (shoulder measurement) + 6" (extra for cap sleeves, add 4-6", but I wanted large!)= 29" x 5 (gauge in mock rib)=145. Then multiply this number by two to get how many to cast on: 145 x 2 = 290 (# of sts to CO)

Also I decided to do the 2 x 2 ribbing in 1x1, and do 10" instead of 5" of the ribbing (to accommodate larger boobs) and 30" instead of 20" in the mock ribbing, because I have a pretty long upper body.

Allllrighty then....... all of you that are interested, let me know, and show pics!

Emms
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005 02:20:55 PM by loisgriffinwannabe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinimonstk

Smokey says NO to Sew Fast So Sleazy!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005 06:18:21 AM »

wow Emms - your measurements are almost like mine! I'm about three inches smaller in the shoulders, but three bigger in the bust, even my gauge is 5 sts / inch (on size 9's). I started casting on last night - calculated 290 stitches, but cast on 288 instead. I did that because I wanted to end on a knit and didn't want to add on 6 more stitches for that. I think I'm going to do more inches of ribbing and mock ribbing too. Let me know how your's turns out. I may shuffle this to the back burner for a week or two - I'm working on a shawl for my mom, a Picovoli for me that needs to be done by Nov 3rd and possibly a Hot Lava. Not to mention the Harry Potter scarf & Hogwarts Uniform inspired sweater I want to make. I guess I'm now truly a knitter - I have way too may projects going on at once!  Grin

Oh, I'm using Caron Simply Soft in black. Pretty nice for cheap acrylic.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005 06:21:21 AM by cinimonstk » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW SLEAZY!
http://www.cafepress.com/saynotosfse/
bronxie
I like yarn! Yarn, Yarn, yarn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005 09:13:40 AM »

I'm in. I finished my first one but it was too wide and not enough for my boobage (I'm a 38) so this time around I'm going to do 6" of ribbing, 14" of mock rib and CO 218 instead of 260 (don't ask me where I got 260 from, I ended up having to take the ribbing in from the sides) I want to make it this time around in Wool Ease.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005 09:21:10 AM by bronxie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
loisgriffinwannabe

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005 09:55:35 AM »

wow Emms - your measurements are almost like mine! I'm about three inches smaller in the shoulders, but three bigger in the bust, even my gauge is 5 sts / inch (on size 9's). I started casting on last night - calculated 290 stitches, but cast on 288 instead. I did that because I wanted to end on a knit and didn't want to add on 6 more stitches for that. I think I'm going to do more inches of ribbing and mock ribbing too.

hey cinimon, just in case you misunderstood, the extra 6" aren't so you end on a K2, its so you have the cap sleeves. Otherwise it is a vest. You can add anywhere btwn 2-6" depending on how much "sleeve" you want to end up with. I wanted longer caps so my arms don't look strange, that's why I added 6". Okie.... and if I am the one mistaken, sorry!

Also, thanks so much cinimon and bronxie for joining my very 1st knitalong! Yah! Woo Hoo!!!!

emms   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinimonstk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005 12:18:04 PM »

wow Emms - your measurements are almost like mine! I'm about three inches smaller in the shoulders, but three bigger in the bust, even my gauge is 5 sts / inch (on size 9's). I started casting on last night - calculated 290 stitches, but cast on 288 instead. I did that because I wanted to end on a knit and didn't want to add on 6 more stitches for that. I think I'm going to do more inches of ribbing and mock ribbing too.

hey cinimon, just in case you misunderstood, the extra 6" aren't so you end on a K2, its so you have the cap sleeves. Otherwise it is a vest. You can add anywhere btwn 2-6" depending on how much "sleeve" you want to end up with. I wanted longer caps so my arms don't look strange, that's why I added 6". Okie.... and if I am the one mistaken, sorry!

Also, thanks so much cinimon and bronxie for joining my very 1st knitalong! Yah! Woo Hoo!!!!

emms   Cheesy

Oh, I knew that! Since my shoulder measurement was 20, I added on 9 inches.  Or well, I also measured my favorite top from shoulder to shoulder, it was 22 so I added 7 to that. I am crazy I know, but I want a little longer cap sleeves. So 29x5 = 145, double that 290. To end on k2 I cast on 288. Or I could have cast on 294. But I think 288 should work out ok. God I hope that is right!

Now I just have to go buy new needles.  I bought bamboo 9s, but I don't like them, they are grabbing the yarn. I think I'm going to go grab a pair of aluminum 9s (though I'm dreaming of addis) since my needlemaster 9s are in use. I just want to get started man!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loisgriffinwannabe

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005 03:29:33 PM »

sorry I misunderstood, cin, I can't wait to see your supa cap sleeves tho! This is so great! I am going out for a turkey dinner at my sis in laws house tonight, and right after din din, I am breaking out da needles! Woo Hoo!!!!

I usually use addi's (pause here for bowing to Addi's on mantlepiece...Ohm) but I don't have them in 6mm (10US) so I am using a pr of cheap Charmin brand circs that I inherited from my Stepmother in Law. They suck tho because they are slipperyier than addi's but they have a bend in the needle so the sts fly off if I am not super careful (which of course, being the spaz knittah i am, I am not) so I have dropped so many sts, its ridonkulous. oh wel... I found them again, thats what is important.

emms  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

julsey723
How do I know about reality? I just play with sticks and string.

do you have jello?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005 04:12:54 PM »

Wow! This is really taking off! I'm so proud  **grins** Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**PM me if you have a copy of Patons Street Smart for sale or swap**
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________')
blog: www.peonyknits.blogspot.com
shop: www.julsey723.etsy.com
gloriana
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005 05:53:16 PM »

This is great!  I just finished my circular shrug and I love it - so I encourage all y'all (as we say in Houston) to join in the fun...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
cinimonstk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005 11:07:36 PM »

emms - it's cool. I just realized that I screwed up anyway. I need to cast on 290 to end in k2. Of course i figured that out when I got to the last 4 stitches of the first rib row. Oh well, I'll re-cast on tomorrow.   Now i'll just sit back and enjoy the thunderstorm. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005 12:09:49 AM »

that looks so awesome. Added to future projects...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set Fireworks Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Exposure Compensation Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Dusk/Dawn Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Delete Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Custom White Balance Function
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...