A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Survey: Continental vs. English  (Read 18789 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bijouxmaster
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2005 01:33:14 PM »

1.  Where do you live?  Dallas, TX

2.  What style do you prefer?  Continential

3.  Who taught you how to knit?  A friend who learned from her Russian grandmother.  And I have met Granny - she is a ruthless knitting teacher!

4.  Have you tried succesfully to switch?  No - I'm pretty new to knitting & am happy doing it this way - I'd rather not confuse myself by trying to change it up!

i did recently take a class & had my teacher try to "fix" the way I knit - I was highly offended.  A good teacher / knitter should recognize there are different ways to knit & no way is "wrong" - whatever works, I say!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PrincessJazz
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2005 01:33:36 PM »

1.Where do you live? Ottawa, Canada

2.What style do you prefer? Continental

3.Who taught you how to knit? My German grandmother.

4. Have you tried, successfully or not, to change styles throughout your knitting life? If yes, why?  I think I tried briefly once, but the English method just seems so impractical.  There are so many extra movements involved.  I like Continental because it's efficient.
Jazz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TessTessi

Lily is my best friend

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2005 01:55:02 PM »

1. Where do you live? So Cal, USA
2.What style do you prefer?  Continental
3. Who taught you how to knit? My friend Heather.
4. Have you tried, successfully or not, to change styles throughout your knitting life? If yes, why? When I first learned how to knit, I believe I was taught contintental method.  What I ended up doing was throwing (english method), but with my left hand. Eventually it evolved into me knitting continental.  I can knit English method, but very akwardly. I use it when I am teaching a new method to people who knit English style.  I am trying to learn to knit without turning, but it's very akward for me, and I can continental so fast!  When I am doing a whole row of purl, I will throw. It makes my tension so much better.  I try to do everything in the round to avoid purling Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holy flipping cow. I changed my profile picture after 4 years on here.

Love Alpacas?  Go visit: Alpaca Love Club
Come visit my website!  www.madebytess.com
heart_bats

my favorite sport? knitting!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2005 08:49:08 PM »

1. Where do you live? USA, midwest
2. What style do you prefer? English
3. Who taught you to knit? Stitch'n'Bitch.  though my great aunt and mom also knit english. 
4. Have you tried, successfully or note, to change styles? Yes, but only for about 10 mintues.  I just couldn't get the hang of it.  I wanted to change to alleviate soreness in my wrists.  But my wrists don't get sore anymore, so maybe I've adapted or changed my style. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2005 01:11:32 AM »

1.Where do you live? washington state

2.What style do you prefer? I can do both, but learned swiss/cont style which i find to be much faster.  (actually did a comparison of knitting times btwn cont and eng knitters and cont was much much faster)

3.Who taught you how to knit? (do you know their lineage?) mom, its the "swiss" style, aka continental.  She swiss/danish/german and wa taught be an aunt of the same.

4. Have you tried, successfully or not, to change styles throughout your knitting life? If yes, why?  I can knit both ways but only use eng for fairisle.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
mariska

play's the thing ;)

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2005 01:40:33 AM »

1.Where do you live? Estonia, Europe
2.What style do you prefer? continental
3.Who taught you how to knit? (do you know their lineage?) probably granny, when i was quite young.
4. Have you tried, successfully or not, to change styles throughout your knitting life? If yes, why? no, because i learned only a few weeks ago that it was possible to knit holding the yarn on your right hand! i can't even imagine how it's done. but i had noticed before that somehow american/english knit looks different from what i see around here. so now i know why Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

think outside the box
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2005 05:46:09 AM »

1.Where do you live? Vancouver, BC, Canada~
2.What style do you prefer? welll.... I would have to say American style, because that's how I learned properly... But I taught myself Continental and I use that now so I can knit longer... switching back and forth to ease wrist strain  Smiley
3.Who taught you how to knit? (do you know their lineage?) At first, this horrible woman I worked with tried to teach me English style, (She had british lineage) but I just couldn't grasp it, and she treated me like i was stupid because of that!! So I ended up almost not learning because of that, but then my stepmother-in-law (scottish lineage) pulled me aside and taught me American style, which for some reason, made more sense, probably just because she was more kind and patient!
4. Have you tried, successfully or not, to change styles throughout your knitting life? If yes, why? Yup, I taught myself Continental style, but the purling is still hard to do well... it feels really unnatural, and my tension isn't so great... way too loose. I did it because everyone says it is faster, but that is only true for me with the knit stitch... I am way faster in American style with purl.
Note: This is no longer true, I am way faster with Con than Amer, and I have figured out how to manager the tension and purl! Yay!!!!
emms
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005 12:34:35 PM by loisgriffinwannabe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jazzybelle
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2005 06:48:42 AM »

Is there an "American" style of knitting?

1.Where do you live? Los Angeles, California
2.What style do you prefer? Continental
3.Who taught you how to knit? (do you know their lineage?) I taught myself to knit. I didn't realize I was knitting continental until I got Stitch and Bitch. This is also when I learned I was knitting "backwards" and decided I didn't care since my stitches aren't twisted or anything.
4. Have you tried, successfully or not, to change styles throughout your knitting life? If yes, why? Yes, I can knit both ways, but I prefer Continental.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***I love personal swaps!***
avizzius
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2005 07:19:33 AM »

1.Where do you live?  Lithuania (Eastern Europe)
2.What style do you prefer?  Continental
3.Who taught you how to knit? (do you know their lineage?)  My mother (Lithuanian). And I was also taught at school.
4. Have you tried, successfully or not, to change styles throughout your knitting life? If yes, why? Nope. I think I might try it - not in order to change, but just for fun -, it sounds quite interesting. To say the truth, I found that there was "another" - I mean, English - way of knitting only on Craftster (it was about a month ago) but only today I managed to look up what it was.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
8ball
Visit my blog!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2005 08:12:03 AM »

1.Where do you live? Washington D.C., USA
2.What style do you prefer? Continental (assuming that's the method where you hold the working yarn in your left hand)
3.Who taught you how to knit? (do you know their lineage?) My next door neighbor when I was a little kid in the Bronx.  She was an immigrant from Italy.  She taught me "American style," where you hold the wkg yarn in your right hand and throw it over the needle. The interesting thing about that is, she taught me to knit right-handed (I am left-handed) because she got too confused trying to knit the other way.  I've been knitting right-handed ever since.
4. Have you tried, successfully or not, to change styles throughout your knitting life? If yes, why? Just this summer I taught myself to knit Continental style.  I had to force myself, and ask more than one person to show me how to hold the yarn and needles.  Getting comfortable with purling was the hardest part.  I have problems with carpal tunnel syndrome, and was worried that knitting American style would make it worse.  I'm glad I switched, b/c continental is so much more efficient.  How else would I have a chance of getting through my enormous stash?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mother’s Day Beauty Musts
Get Scarlett Johansson’s Full Lip Look
Beyoncé’s Foolproof Makeup Tips That Will Last All Day
How You Should Wear Your Hair For Your Wedding
How to Create A Winged Eyeliner
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...